Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Evenness

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Wyzird05, Jul 16, 2004.

1. Wyzird05

Wyzird05

Dec 1, 2003
    South Bend, IN
    I have read through a couple discussions about basses possibly losing their evenness over the long run if they have thin tops, but I want to know if a bass can become more even as time goes on. Also would a certain set of strings make a bass sound even?

2. Funny you haven't had any response to this.....
    I've never heard of a bass losing eveness, unless something was changed like the sound post, bridge, ETC.
    I've certainly have heard basses become more even with certain adjustments...but, I think you mean on it's own and yes i've had basses that started out uneven as hell, but with some years of playing in, especially with ARCO, become even. It seems to me that things open up alot faster with alot of bowing, but they still respond to pizz. as well.
    I've never heard of ANY strings that will make an uneven sounding bass sound even.
    Of course, you can make a bass sound more even if you run it through a bunch of EQ and electric gizmos.
    As always, the best way to give your bass it's best shot is to get it to your Luthier and let him have at it with the sound post setter and do some bridge adjustments in concert with the SP adjustments.

3. Wyzird05

Wyzird05

Dec 1, 2003
    South Bend, IN
    Thank You Paul! I have discussed making the bass more even with my luthier and will eventually have the sound post tweaked to make the E string sing. When I practice I really focus on intonation and run scales for the first 15-20 minutes with a bow so I am glad to hear this is helping.