1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Eventide PitchFactor -- first impressions

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Swimming Bird, Mar 31, 2009.

1. Swimming Bird

Swimming Bird

Apr 18, 2006
    Wheaton MD
    I just got it in the post and spent about an hour and a half with it today. Soundclips/videos to follow this weekend, but here are some first impressions:

I only had time to go through the first couple of presets, then just tweaked around with each effect mode. I didn't get to the bass specific presets or the bass input mode (it has guitar, bass, synth lead and synth bass input modes).

Bypass: it has 3 bypass modes, buffer, buffer with trails and mechanical/true bypass. I left it on buffer and it sounded fantastic.

Switching between 'bank' and 'play' modes is fairly important to using it well. Bank mode lets you select new effects hands free -- you scroll through banks of two effects. Play mode gives you bypass, tap tempo and flex/learn/what-have-you stomps. Every mode except octaver uses the flex stomp and it usually does something worth while. You can set an expression pedal to control any parameter.

Tuner: Tuner has no problem with bass whatsoever and is very clearly displayed.

Diatonic and Quadrovox are two- and four-voice delayed pitch shifts. The Pitchfactor tracks beautifully and I have had zero glitches when playing single note lines. It gets confused on chords, but that's expected. Unfortunately I only had a four-string out so I don't know for sure if it tracks to low B, but I'd bet that it would.

Octaver is wonderful. It gives you control over two filters, plus fuzz and an envelope modulation. I spent a while on this one and got some fantastic sounds out of it. The built in fuzz sounds fine, if generic, but that isn't really the point. This mode gets very funky and synth-like. I've played OC-2s and -3s and you can get most of those sounds if you want them, but the PF can get into BMS territory as well.

Synthonizer is very cool. It gives you two synthesized voices which can go +/- 1 oct. Also gives attack controls for each as well as 'verb and wave shape for one voice (sine, sawtooth or triangle), filter for the other (which I think is square).

Pitchflex is the Whammy killer. I say this with respect to Whammy IVs as I've never tried the Bass Whammy. It tracks better, it gives you a filter to take out the digital noise, it lets you have two pitches for heel down, two for toe down. The flex switch is momentary (think toe down) and you can set time it takes to go up and time it takes to go back separately.

I have less of a grasp on the rest, but most of them are somewhat similar to PS-3 functions, which it also kills as each has more range and is clearer. That said, H910/H949 mode simulates older Eventide models of pitch delays which have added amounts of glitch. I have very little idea of what Harmodulator does in practice, and while I understand Harpreggiator, I don't get how to use it well beyond presets.

This thing is a beast -- if you're not careful, it will play your instrument for you.

Hope that helps with some curiosity. Again, I'll try to get clips or videos up this weekend, and hopefully A/Bing the PF with my Whammy IV and PS-3. If there's anything else you want to hear it compared to you can send me the pedal :D

-Alex

2. Chronicle

Chronicle

Sep 13, 2006
    NY
    I will need to hear a 5thup/1up harmony whammy sequence before i go out buying this pedal to do a vs. the bass whammy brawl.

wanna clue us in? :)

3. jazzercountry

jazzercountry Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2000
    Las Vegas, NV
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    Yeah, I'm very interested to hear how well this unit tracks (esp. for the octave - everything else is icing)

4. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Subscribed.

5. jazzercountry

jazzercountry Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2000
    Las Vegas, NV
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    The benefit is being able to write presets on an octave pedal - and no, I wouldn't buy anything new.

6. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Northern California
    I've never really been interested in the other Eventide boxes, but this one is really GAS inducing. But I'd like to hear some bass samples before I plunk down cash to buy one.

Do you think you'll be able to record some clips SB?

7. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Columbia, Md
    If it were the Holy Grail of octavers, yes I would.

8. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I'm pretty impressed with the clips Eventide has on their demo. More impresed for guitar, but might be nifty for bass.

9. If you you have any fondness for effects at all, I think it's hard not to be at least interested in this thing.

10. fightthepower

fightthepower

Jan 7, 2008
    San Diego
    My what fitting avatar you have!

11. Doolz

Doolz

Oct 5, 2007
    Inconceivable!

12. Swimming Bird

Swimming Bird

Apr 18, 2006
    Wheaton MD
    Yeah, I should be able to get something up this afternoon or evening.

Obviously most of you want to hear 5th up/Octave up. Any other requests?

13. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Northern California
    Octaver was mentioned above.

I'd like to hear the reverse pitch shifted stuff (ala PS-3 or Superdelay) and maybe some other Synthonizer settings.

I'd love to hear some of the Harmodulator settings on bass, especially with the different waveforms if that's not too much trouble.

Thanks Swimming Bird.

14. rratajski

rratajski Commercial User

Jul 1, 2008
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    Builder for FUZZROCIOUS PEDALS
    Please play the "May Old Acquaintance Be Forgot..." riff in a demo.

15. Please post some Harmpeggiator clips. Arpeggiators rule.

16. duba

duba

May 2, 2007
    Israel
    Thanks for the review
    I'll grab one of those as soon as it'll reach my area

17. Ely

Ely

Jun 8, 2001
    Huntsville, AL
    I'm really interested in this pedal, but first I'd like to know how it works with synth or even heavily-effected synthy bass running through it. Also, I'm interested to know how the MIDI connectivity works, ie can I hook it up to my computer and have Live automate the pitch shifts and stuff while I play?

18. Chronicle

Chronicle

Sep 13, 2006
    NY
    We need a Tool- Disposition whammy 5thup 1up soundclip to dub it worthy :D

awesome clips though, i know what i'm spending my tax return on... :ninja:

19. rratajski

rratajski Commercial User

Jul 1, 2008
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    Builder for FUZZROCIOUS PEDALS
    wonderful clips. inciting WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY more GAS for my buddy/bandmate (g****r)