1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Eventide PitchFactor: What to expect?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Tim_Mofunk, May 27, 2012.

1. Hello everybody.:)

I just bought an Eventide Pitchfactor on the bay. What should I expect from it? I know, I know, I should have thought of that before I bid on it. Oh well, it's done now. Hopefully It's a box of awesome, and I am sure I will have a tonne of fun with it, but Gig-wise what should I expect from it? Digital tracking so it should track well, but is it over complex to use?

Thank you all in advance for your wisdom

2. Marginal Tom

Marginal Tom

Apr 28, 2010
    O'Fallon, IL
    I don't have one, but here's my two cents worth anyway. Check out the Eventide website and on-line videos for various useful settings, Try it out at home for a few hours. If you don't like it, you can always resell it.

3. Good points. I just hope it has a useable octave down setting.

4. bassgiant15

bassgiant15 Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses

Dec 19, 2005
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses
    From what I have heard it does.

5. DeltaPhoenix

DeltaPhoenix Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Gainesville,FL
    I think it will take more than a few hours at home to decide if it is for you. Be prepared to spend a lot of time with a manual. Also be prepared to buy some sort of small midi controller to scroll through patches easier if you plan to use it on a gig. If you just need an octave pedal and don't desire a whole lot more, then the PitchFactor is overkill.
    Have fun though, it is a cool pedal.

6. sadasar

sadasar

Jan 21, 2012
    Dallas Texas.
    endorsing artist hard luck king guitars and knuckle head strings
    Definitely don't plan on using it for a gig within the first couple days of getting it. It's a very complex pedal with Tons of options. But in pretty sure you'll love it it hard not to you can just about get any sound out of then you want with the right tweaking. Enjoy.

7. sadasar

sadasar

Jan 21, 2012
    Dallas Texas.
    endorsing artist hard luck king guitars and knuckle head strings
    +1 on the midi pedal idea it works great for me With my eventide pedals.

8. jwr

jwr

Jun 28, 2010
    Overland Park, KS
    It is an amazing pedal. Has all kinds of presets. Tons of tone options, save spots, tuner...etc. You can get delay, chorus, pitch shifting, octave, synth, and many, many more sounds. Very tweakable!

God I miss mine. I'm trying to get a new one soon.

Oh make sure you set it to track bass too.

9. +12

Haven't had the Pitchfactor yet, but I did own a Modfactor for a while and it definitely takes some getting used to...

There are is ALOT of control there and it takes some time to get really comfortable with the pedal and to fully explore everything that it can do.

Best advice is to take your time with it and get used to the pedal before you write it off one way or another.

P.S. You can use a small controller that runs out of the TRS expression jack in the back to scroll through presets and such. You don't have to specifically use the MIDI function at all. Downside is that you loose an expression jack..

10. Spend lots of time tweaking? Sounds like I will like it! I will make sure to post my first impressions and some sound clips. Then I will learn how to use it and repost my thoughts. I know it will be overkill but I can be an overkill sort of guy. :)

11. I would be keen to hear from someone who currently uses it on their main board.

Sound clips would make me smile. Songs in which it is used would make me smile lots :)

12. pantherairsoft

pantherairsoft

Apr 22, 2009
    Derby, UK
    I'm a big pitchfactor user and have been for quite some time. You need to put MONTHS into it to find out what it can do - and what it can do is EVERYTHING. It's the most versatile whammy and harmony pedal out there with stunning tracking (though a tiny bit of latency if I'm honest). It does great synth tones, lovely reverbs, chorus & subtle detuning plus is an sequencer which is pretty damn good as well.

Live use it is tonally flawless, though is not an 'easy use' as you'll end up with about 50 sounds you want to use and need to scroll through the presets etc. It's interface is good, but could be improved by the ability to scroll backwards as well as forwards (next update please Eventide!!) and make sure you have an expression pedal for it!!!

It's one of (actually THE) most versatile bit of kit on my board and is a serious studio tool as well as a live 'effects box'. Just don't expect to turn it on and get to grips with its potential without an investment in time.

Shep

13. tom_ric

tom_ric

Aug 14, 2009
    Israel
    + 1
    Awsome pedal. Expect alot of fun.
    Shep, you can assign an Aux Switch to Bank Down.

14. pantherairsoft

pantherairsoft

Apr 22, 2009
    Derby, UK
    :)
    Yeah - I failed to mention that. Ooops. Still would be nice to have that option (maybe a 3rd mode where the left switch is down, right up, and centre to engage patch)...

I'd use an aux switch if Igad space :)

15. Jean Baudin

Jean Baudin

Aug 27, 2003
    redwood city, ca
    Endorsing Artist: See Profile
    I have one on my board and to be honest I mainly just use the quadravox and diatonic modes. The Harpeggiator is pretty neat too - but I'm not too crazy about the octaver, crystals and synthonizer. I find with my particular instrument it only sounds good in certain ranges.

16. Awesome! Can't wait to see how well it makes eggs benedict!;)

Ok. So it appears the first thing it does is make me buy an expression pedal and a midi pedal... That's cool. Good to know it shares my GAS.:p

17. pantherairsoft

pantherairsoft

Apr 22, 2009
    Derby, UK
    Something to send it midi time clock is useful for the arpegiator settings etc... Expression is a must. I use an Ernie Ball VP JR with it.

You'll love it!

18. jwr

jwr

Jun 28, 2010
    Overland Park, KS
    OH it can do some fuzz too! Forgot about that!

God I want a Pitchfactor again.

19. That's cool. You can never have enough fuzz. NEVER.

20. OK. I just spend 10 mins playing through some of the presets and fiddling with knobs.

Result: Awesome.

It looks like it has a huge amount of flexibility and will take some time to get my head around.

Thanks everyone for your advice above.