Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ever been kicked out? (whine)

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by dirtgroove, Oct 28, 2004.

1. dirtgroove

dirtgroove

Jan 10, 2003
    Taipei, Taiwan
    So I just found out from a friend of the band that my services are no longer required, this weeks practices weren't mysteriously cancelled at all. Likewise the gig tonight that I thought until even this morning that I was putting on will go ahead without me.

After 2 years of playing bass in someone else's dub heavy electronica project, I've become a byproduct of downsizing and band that has gone back to basics by ditching it's live element.
    It's not just me, one vocalist and the percussionist have fallen by the wayside too.

It feels pretty odd. I'm torn between rationalising and justifying it and another side of me that feels like someone who's just been dumped by their girlfriend. All the time and work that's gone into those songs to be reminded that actually they never were my songs- and I knew that all along.

Just a bit annoyed having just changed my strings, and spent an hour or so tweaking sounds and tones to get them right for the size and sound of the venue.
    Why can't people just be more straightforward and upfront?

(thanks- moan over)

2. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Happens to the best of us. :D

But, it may be a blessing in disguise. Now you'll have more time available to pursue your own musical interests. Which could include starting your own band. That way, in the future, you can be the kicker instead of the kickee.

Seriously, that's the one really screwed up thing about playing in a band. At any given moment, one of the members might get shot, or commit suicide, or become a heroin addict, or just lose his mind and start playing Ashlee Simpson covers. And, in all fairness, that one member could be you.

That's the risk, and it's also part of the adventure. Get used to it. There are gazillions of one-hit wonders out there. And the reason is, not because all those bands suck. Most of the time, it's because they lose one or more of their members and can't keep their act together. People don't seem to realize what a valuable thing it is to find four (or more) people who can hang together musically (and tolerate each other) for any considerable period of time. That kind of relationship, to me, is much more valuable than having the world's most talented guitar player or drummer. (And now that I think of it, egos destroy more bands than any other single factor). :bassist:

3. dirtgroove

dirtgroove

Jan 10, 2003
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Hey man, cheers!
    You're right- it is a blessing, there's a bunch of other projects that I've wanted to do, but been unable to for lack of time.
    I guess I'm just sulking because of being rejected.

4. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    The fact that they went back to their original sound is cool. It's the cowardly way they went about that I find pathetic.

5. Hmmm.

So the vocalist and percussionst you've been working with have been dropped also?

So now you know of two potential new band members looking for a gig.

:)

6. ONYX

ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    Michigan
    It's nothing to lose sleep over--or be embarassed about. It happens to a great many serious musician. I've been booted out of bands before for various reasons: "We want someone who plays slap style exclusively"; "You don't thrash around enough when you play"; "We're gonna make the BIG TIME, so you'll have to quit your day job--we're gonna be the next Led Zeppelin." etc, etc.

It's already been said, but, more often it's a blessing in disguise. Look at it as an opportunity to fine tune YOUR musical interests.

7. MichaelScott

MichaelScott

Jul 27, 2004
    Moorpark CA
    Damn... if only guitar players were easy to come by... you could have a band together tomorrow ;)

8. {OE}

{OE}

Sep 23, 2004
    Connecticut, U.S.

They aren't!? :p

Well, even so, they are not needed if you want to continue in the same musical direction. Just find a D.J./keyboardist that is experienced with sampling and sequencing. ;)

BTW, if the perc. and singer are both talented and you share the same ideas I would deff. try to form something with them; because finding good singers and perc. isnt as easy as finding a drummer or guitar player...

Ive never been kicked out of a band, but Ive had several "fall apart" and it does stink, but something "better" has always presented itself, just stay positive and good luck! :bassist:

9. QORC

QORC

Aug 22, 2003
    East Coast
    Hey, I got fired from my FIRST band - it was a bad fit in terms of music, personalities

and frankly, I wasn't good enough. I wasn't!

It used it as the launching point to get better. A couple of years later, I was fronting my OWN band!

Today, almost 20 years later, I'm a much better, more versatile bassist and singer than I was back then.

I hurt like hell, but good things came out of it.

10. Yeah, I've been kicked out of a couple of bands...

It sucks...

But it doesn't take much to see that the problems of three little people doesn't amount to a hill of beans in this crazy world...

You feel victimized for a while, then you realize it works out better in the long run.

11. what really sucks is after your kicked out and you find a new group, unless your really groundbreaking, it just doesn't feel good anymore. i'm asked by people why can't i find better members, and i just reply that it's because it'll never come close to my first band unless it's just me

12. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I've ben kicked out of lots of bands. A couple of times it really stung. One of those times I was a fan of the band before I got in, played and toured for year in which they never really accepted me, and then simply got dropped with no warning when some good things were starting to happen. They claimed i didn't fit the vibe of the band. I was too "rock and roll". They were very gay and trendy. They broke up after that, but I still have dreams that they get it together and ask me to play again. My ego was severly injured cuz I thought they were the sheet.

Another time a good friend replaced me while i was in Florida for a week, and never said a word to me about it. The drummer an I had a rough time getting along and the good friend thought this was best. I didn't talk to him for 2 years.

Another time I got dumped from a pretty well paying gig cause all I talked about was the nerve. :) I felt really stupid, but learned a lot.

Ahhh... I got a whole bunch of boring stories concerning this. good news was every time it happened I practiced more, played harder, and sucked each experience for every bit of growth I could get from it.

It sucks getting booted, but life goes on, and I really believe it's to make room for bigger and better things. Good luck.

13. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    I've never been booted from a band, but I have had my first fall apart. That sucked because we were together for 4 years so it felt like being dumped.

The bright side is that I am the only bassist in my area so I'm involved in 2 projects right now that have turned out to be better than my first band. One of them I even assembled so it all turns out well in the end.

14. RLT

RLT

Jul 10, 2004
    South Central OH
    Glad it worked out for you. Last time I was fired from a band it was because they were going to the "Big Time". About a year later the band leader was our pizza boy at the studio.

15. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    Funny how things work out in your favor ;)

16. So...did you tip him? :p

17. cowsgomoo

cowsgomoo gone to Longstanton Spice Museum

Feb 8, 2003
    UK
    only once... I was not exactly fired, but there was a band I was in at college, who, when coming back after summer, decided to continue under the same name but with a different bass player :)

I wasn't bothered about being replaced because I had so many other bands going on at the same time, and the guy replacing me was a friend and a very good player too... but I was slightly peeved that none of the other members actually had the courtesy to tell me directly they were going to have this other guy...

but still, it was not much of a big deal - I can understand their reluctance to want to tackle it head-on.. it presumably needed a bit more bravery than they could muster... their problem not mine :) we all continued to be friends

18. RLT

RLT

Jul 10, 2004
    South Central OH
    Did I tip him? Of course quite well too. First rule NEVER PO any one thats handleing your food when you can't see them!!!!!!!!!!!
    I later subbed with him in another band doing covers. My point was that many/a lot/most bands that fire people thinking they are going big time never make it.
    Some times the people they get rid of are the ones that make the band.
    (Not true in my case) It was the girl singer that they let go at the same time. We were working on her solo demo at the time he was delivering the pizza's.

19. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    The last time I got "fired" from a band one of the reasons was that the keyboard player and the guitarist didn't like some of the chord choices I made. We'd go into these extended jams on some songs and I'd get tired of repeating the same lines, so I'd stretch and noodle a bit, so I guess that's where their comments were coming from. Probably not the right thing for me to be doing. That and the keyboard player knew another bassist that he was more familiar with, stylistically. The band was drifting from the retro funk intent on which it was started to a more pop rock band. Not my forte.

A few months later the guitarist and keyboard player were both gone. Don't know why, and have no need to ask. The bassist is still there I think, but the only original member left is the drummer. I've seen the bassist who replaced me before and he's definitely for real. From the set list I've seen it looks like they have gone back to the retro funk feel that the drummer originally wanted, as opposed to the '70s rock feel that started to dominate by the time I left. The really funny thing is the set list now includes a few funk covers I suggested but nobody else wanted to work on. I'll have to go check 'em out soon. I'll have to go alone, 'cause my wife is still po'd about the whole thing. ;) What a fan :cool:

Peace,

James

20. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    +1

Weak.

One thing I WILL teach my kids is that they must, excuse the pun face the music.