1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

ever been to a genuine original punk concert?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Icey101, Jan 9, 2012.

1. it was way back in the late 70's, the pistols were big, the buzzcocks, the saints, clash, dead kennedys, the damned....it was my first band concert and i stumbled into it when i bumped into a few mates heading down to the city, they were driving a ute so we jumped in the back and lay under a tarp, we downed a full flagon of mosel by the time we got there...i had no idea where i was, some band was playing in on stage they had white shirts with swastika's all over them, the singer was shouting something and spitting into the crowd, dudes were throwing beer cans at the band...it was total mayhem, big dudes safety pins through the nose, chains around the necks....i fell done somwhere and got carried out heaving my stomach out and left in the toilet, i woke up hours later and got carrried back into the truck and ended up asleep in my folks front garden...

a good night

2. oldno7

oldno7

Dec 29, 2009
    Was very lucky enough to see all the bands you mentioned above and many more. the best time of my life..played in a punk band in the late 70s and was suporting act for many of the above mentioned

3. Uncle K

Uncle K The bass player doesn't get a sandwich Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2011
    Erie, PA
    I'm a bit too young to have been into that scene, but I did see The Mighty Mighty Bosstones in (I think) 1990, back before they got big. The band that opened for them was called Slamhound and they were pretty big locally. Slamhound was a real punk band, not ska like MMBT. It was a great show, there was no security, lots of stage diving, and if you fell down in the pit someone would pick you back up. It may have been the best show I've ever seen, me and my friends talked about it for weeks.

4. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    From the first era? No.

I've been to some pretty wild backyard hardcore shows though. BYOEverything, shows moved to another kitchen or something nearby when the cops show up for the third time, drunk people everywhere, moshers with black eyes and bruises for stamps of membership, no recollection the next day till you wake up five or six friends...

5. I've been lucky enough to see 7 seconds and TSOL in the last idk 10 or 12 years. Both were really good.

6. DKs several times, along w/a ton of no-name opening bands. can't recall many- who would go to a punk show sober? I always felt as if I was coming to the party a bit late, and it(punk)would surely die out soon. I still get together w/my oldest semi-surviving kinda-sorta garage/punk/funk(wannabe Peppers-type)band(Phat Side Down)& whip out ancient(probably early 80s)original stuff. I do remember Flipper, Glorious Din & very early Faith no more.

7. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    I've seen the Damned in 1986, TSOL, Buzzcocks, Toy Dolls, The Vandals, and others that I've since forgotten, but all were kind of at the tail end of their careers. However the most punk experience I've ever witnessed was Butthole Surfers in Tijuana. People were huffing paint and glue, getting it all caught in their safety pins, Gibby was on stage and literally started boning a chick right on stage. The band had two drummers, were loud as hell and didn't even bat an eyelid at the fact that their lead singer was doing doggy style with a chick on stage. It was singlegandedly the craziest thing I've ever seen on stage.

8. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    My first concert was X at The Greek in 82'.

9. I saw 7 Seconds a few years back, flat out awesome band right there.

70s was before my time.

Been to and played at plenty punk gigs in small sweaty dive bars. Still saw some old school bands like The Exploited, Damned, The Beat etc etc

Punk's not dead, it's just not in the limelight :bassist:

10. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

Aug 22, 2011
    I saw the Bad Brains in 1977, was assistant engineer for an early studio recording by the Real Kids in 1977, saw Mission Of Burma in 1978, saw Fear in 1980, saw Shriekback in 1983, saw The Ramones in 1983, saw Gang Of Four in 1984 or '86, whenever their "Farewell" tour was (...but by '86 we're not really talking about "original" punk, are we?)

11. Bipslapper

Bipslapper Well Ahoy, Paloi Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2009
    Cape Cod, MA
    Saw the Ramones at college (1988), The Clash in Worcester, MA- 1985, Dinosaur Jr. I am proud to say I broke my nose at The Freeze concert in 1985 while in high school. Also there were Jerry's Kids, Gang Green and The Proletariat- Boston Hardcore. Good stuff.

Bummed I never saw Black Flag, Circle Jerks or Minor Threat *(my fav)

Not to sound like an old guy, but I laugh at Green Day being "punk".

12. lucas vigor

lucas vigor Banned

Sep 2, 2004
    Orange County, Ca,
    This classical and jazz loving bassist hung out at the Cuckoo's nest way back, and saw the likes of Fear, black flag, TSOL...and other shows at other places...bands like X and many others!
    Things were very different back then (early 80's) as punk was totally underground...and not listened to by most of my preppie friends. Probably why I liked it at the time, because I can't stand punk now! (but the band I quit about a year ago had DJ Bonebreak on our album, and are still managed by the manager of X.

13. sneha1965

sneha1965

Nov 7, 2007
    NOVA
    Saw the Plasmatics in Cotati, Ramones in the Mabuhay, and Agent Orange a few times.

14. LOL about the Butthole Surfers show. One of the times I saw them many years back (1987?), they had films playing from two movie projectors onto a single screen so they overlaid one another. One was a TV episode of Charlie's Angels, and the other was of testicle surgery. In the middle of one song, Gibby jumped into the pit and started punching some guy then jumped back on stage and picked the vocals up again mid-verse, which impressed me to no end at the time. They also did a seven-minute or so version of "Concubine" that was pretty killer.

Punk acts seen (partial list): The Damned, Circle Jerks, Descendents, Vandals, Minutemen, DRI, Killing Joke, Meat Puppets, Agent Orange, Cramps (best show ever).

15. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    To the OP: It sounds like you're saying you saw all these bands at the same time?:confused: The DKs didn't form till after the Pistols broke up. Also, not sure the Pistols ever made it to Australia, but maybe they did.

16. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I went to a Green Day concert once.

-Mike

17. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Oh yeah. I've seen Agent Orange, Ramones, and the Descendents too. I forgot. :p There are a bunch of shows that I've forgotten about. Oh yeah, and the Addicts (before they became ADX). Did I mention the Vandals?

Yeah, Atoz, I forgot to mention that in that Butthole Surfers pit there was no organized circular mosh like you see today, it was just straight up brawling with limbs and boots and faces flying everywhere. I wanted no part of it, and I generally love pits.

Someone mentioned Green Day. I remember seeing them in college before their Dookie album came out, and I remember liking them because they were a total throwback to all old punk shows I've seen before. They were nobodies then. They were all hauling their own gear and they hung out and had a few drinks at the bar with us afterwards. Billy (I think that's his name, the lead singer - I don't follow them that closely) was actually a pretty cool guy. Grew us seeing a lot of the same shows I did, but up north in the Berkley/San Fran area. Next thing I know they were HUGE.

18. sneha1965

sneha1965

Nov 7, 2007
    NOVA
  19. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    All these bands Ive seen in the last 10 years:

Circel Jerks
    Adolescents
    the Vandals
    X
    The Damned
    Sex Pistols
    TSOL
    Buzzcocks
    Missingmen
    NOFX

and some others. Of course, I wasnt around back in the day, but was really into punk in high school.

20. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    In 1980 some friends took me to see Third Rail and 999. That was a turning moment because I didn't really "get" punk before that. In my mind I can still hear the thumping bass line in "Feeling Alright with the Crew." And the irony in the lyrics of "Public Enemy Number One."