1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ever been told "theres not enough room" for your whole rig?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Triclops, Apr 12, 2006.

1. Triclops

Triclops Guest

Jan 14, 2006
    absolutely heartbreaking:bawl: :bawl: :bawl: :crying: ....

2. haujobb

haujobb

Dec 16, 2004
    Wallaceburg
    Yeah, so I told the drummer to ditch the 10 piece instead.

3. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Many a woman has told me exactly that.

4. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    Full disclosure, I'm a certified Fender technician working in a music store that carries Fender, Yamaha, and Ibanez products among others.
    Repeatedly. It happened so often that I got rid of a lot of my "whole rig" and can now fit a tube head and guitar 412 in my car. Amazingly enough, this has been a good enough bass rig for most of the places I play.

I still love those gigs where I get to borrow a power amp and set up my 810 and 215, though :D

5. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    Full disclosure, I'm a certified Fender technician working in a music store that carries Fender, Yamaha, and Ibanez products among others.
    I'm going to show you something that will shock and surprise you, but first I'll need you to move back a few feet :D

That's a Dom Deluise quote, BTW.

6. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    I played a gig in college in a small venue and was informed by the band "leader" that I would have to run direct because there was no room for my amp. Bear in mind, both guitarist were running full stacks and the drummer had a double bass setup. To make matters worse, there was only one monitor on the other side of the stage. I told the leader I would leave unless they made room for me, but he didn't believe me until I walked out the door. Turns out, they didn't think my rig was going to "look right" on the stage with their stacks. They found room for my amp, but it was the last gig I ever played with this band.

7. schmittuml

schmittuml

Oct 25, 2004
    Lowell, MA
    paging prockenklang and tombowlus....

wheres the bowlus bergantino PA pic when ya need it?

8. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    I had to tell MYSELF that! Because the other members of my band are self-centered slackers and drive vehicles that are inappropriate for the music business, I have to haul the PA. 99% of the time I can't take my NV425 because it takes up too much room! The most infurating situation is when I haul the PA and arrive to find that everyone has already set up and left room for either my amp or me. Not both.

9. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Never really had that problem. I become the dictator when it comes to amp setup. If you have no room for me, my amp will go where it'll blast a guitarists head off. I am possibly going to be getting a 212 soon, so my 4x8 and 4x10 can take a break. That may give me a bit more swinging room./

10. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Yep. Fortunately, half my rig is usually more than enough. :bassist: :D

11. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

Yes. But that was back when I ran two SVT heads and two SVT cabinets. :ninja:

Correction: I ran only one stack; the other was for show -- this was the era when whoever had the biggest backline won. :p But I was still disappointed when I couldn't show 'em both.

P.S. Roadies moved the gear, not I! :)

12. ArwinH

ArwinH run rabbit run

Dec 1, 2005
    Southern California
    I've brought an amp to a gig only to find out taht I have to run into the, I'e done it even without monitors before and that gig went fine. A bass with high output and a long cable were key to me in those situations....I didn't really mind. Sound=In the hands =)

13. nonohmic

nonohmic Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2005
    ABQ, NM.
    I know what your thinking and if I was to tell you you'd think I was talking in centimetres.:D

14. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Usually I run a Bergie 210 with a Bergie 610, powered by my Mesa 400+. If there isn't enough room (occurs once in a while), I use just the Bergie 210 and head, which gets plenty of volume although not quite the tone I want.

15. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Never!
    3AGrig1.

16. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I think you need to add another.

17. Triclops

Triclops Guest

Jan 14, 2006
    cb56,
    I meant in the vehicle you are travelling in....:eyebrow:

18. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I'm like Chuck Norris on this. I just tell 'em, "There's not enough room for your ass on this stage." Then I roundhouse kick 'em into oblivion.

19. brothernewt

brothernewt Some people call me the stormtrooper of love...

Apr 13, 2004
    Happyrock, OR
    Yeah... no room for my cab. Got ok borrow opening bands cab, but when I got there, they wouldn't let me run my amp into it. I had to play the show on their gear/no pa support. Bleck... won't happen again.

20. jazzbasser79

jazzbasser79

Oct 30, 2005
    Los Angeles
    If i had my way i'd run my nv215 with an nv610 and a 750 and call it a day. Unfortunately my band has limited me to one cabinet in the rehearsal room after experimenting with a 2x15, 4x10, and 4x12 at the same time. One day though...