Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ever been videotaped?

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Lovebown, May 11, 2001.

1. Lovebown

Lovebown

Jan 6, 2001
    Sweden
    Oh man.
    Had a gig yesterday at my school. Then some people show up and videotape the whole thing, I wasn't expecting it. Was pretty fun to watch afterwards I looked like an absolute freak but hell, I guess thats the way it is when ur looking at yerself I guess. Atleast it sounded alright on tape.

So, anybody been videotaped while gigging?

/lovebown

2. brewer9

brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    Hey I'm a vain bastard so watching myself on video is always a wonderfully impressive and amazing experience. If you dont like what you see then use it as a learning tool so next time you can feel as great as I do.

3. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    I have been videotaped a few times. Not so long ago I was playing in a singing contest (or whatever they call it in English) and that was videotaped. I haven´t seen it yet so I can´t see myself play or hear my mistakes..But The_Bass should know everything about them, he was there..

4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I was videotaped once at a deposition when I was an expert witness on a landslide case.

5. RockinRookie

RockinRookie

Apr 7, 2001
    I got video taped one night at the Boone County, Missouri Sherrif's office. it sucked.

6. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I was videotaped the very first time I played a gig! It's actually pretty cool to have a video of your first band performance. (Un)fortunately, it was a cheap VHS camcorder and the venue wasn't too well lit, plus, the sound wasn't great and the camcorder mike wasn't very good, so in essence, the image was crappy and the sound was crappy, but it doesn't matter because we sounded like crap. The camera doesn't lie...:D

I have recently been videotaped playing my first gig on Upright. Gotta get a copy of that...

Will C.:cool:

7. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    My first band did a one hour TV show in central Illinois, playing in front of a live audience. It was pretty weird. 3 cameras, and a studio audience. We couldn't have anything white or black on the stage (in general) because the cameras were old, and the contrast caused these colors to do strange things. Our manager had to go out and buy me clothes, since all I had was black and white, while the keyboard player had to cover his white Hammond with blue posterboard. The fact that the sound was weird - we couldn't play normal volume in a small studio - made it hard at times. The fact that this was done in 1976 makes it a hoot to watch today!
    I also have 3 other bands on videotape. One was done at a club that had a camera set up in the ceiling facing the stage. It turned out really good, and the sound was just as good. Videotapes can be excellent review tools to see what your band is doing live that works, or what doesn't work (those are the parts where everyone goes, "Did I REALLY do that? :rolleyes: )

8. kenny_geeze

kenny_geeze

Feb 6, 2001
    I was videotaped at my school's music variety show the last few nights.
    It was pretty cool because we had a huge audience and two camera men.
    A techie backstage would be watching through a computer monitor what the camer men were taping and would tell them to focus on different people in the band.
    There was a giant vid-screen behind us too which showed what the camera men were taping. Close-ups of the different band people and stuff. Our last performance is tonight. It'll be sweet.

9. I've been videotaped a few times. The first was last summer with my current band in the garage during a block party. I have a nice solo. Then my guitarist has one and my drummer has a solo and I join in. A few other times were when I was just jamming at home, when me and my friends were practicing for the show we played, and then the show we played.

10. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    We had a friend videotape a gig a few years back...back when I thought I looked cool with my long hair. At many times during the video, though, I bent over to look at my bass or whatever and I was appalled at how badly my scalp shined through my thinning hair when the lights were on. I agonized over it for a day or two, then out came the razor and I've been clean shaven since. Sometimes those videos have long-term ramifications!

11. anon5458975

anon5458975

Apr 5, 2001
    Talk about long term ramifications, there's a certain video floating around somewhere of a show I played about five years ago. It was a fairly large outdoors show, 90% of the tape is breasts, beer and......"other stuff".

If I ever try to run for congress that will be the tape that kills me. If I ever get my hands on it it will be destroyed :)

12. I have been video taped tons of times, never playing bass though.

;)

13. NJXT

NJXT

Jan 9, 2001
    Lyon, FRANCE
    My first band (metal) has been videotaped twice (it was a long time ago ...).
    The first time we saw ourselves we realized we were so different in size that we looked like Spinal Tap and the Stonehenge dancing dwarf.
    :D
    Since I was the tallest, during the newxt gigs, I tried to stand in the back, near the drums.

14. Bassr64

Bassr64

Feb 9, 2001
    N.E.Tx
    yeah, but my ex made me destroy the tapes....:confused: Oh, you mean....um, never mind. :D

15. Hmmm...
    well, our rehearsal session on Friday was taped, so we (the entire cast of Wally Dudes) could see ourselves from the audience's point of view, making it easier for us to understand exactly what the director's talking about when he tells us what we're doing wrong.
    Also, I noticed that the piano was WAY too loud, and I was getting lost in the mix.
    Guess I'll have to turn up... ;):D

16. All the times that I have been video taped, I lok like I'm frozen on the spot because I knew that the camera was on. So now I tell peole not to tell me that the concert is being taped.

17. In one of my old bands, this guy showed up at a gig with three cameras and asked if we wanted a "professional" video job, for $50. We figured, why not? $10 a man. So, we had him do it. A week later, he sent us the finished product, and it looked like a bad video from the 80s! It had all these cheesy effects, and the whole thing was posterized! Ugh.

18. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I've been on TV and done the whole "promo-video" thing with bands in the 80s. This was always fun, because you were miming and didn't have to worry about what you were actually playing or rather pretending to play! ;)

The live home-taping type-thing always seems to be disastrous as most hand-held video cameras only seem to be suited to well-lit or outdoor situations.

I do remember playing keyboards with a band who asked me to "guest" with them as they were doing a high-profile gig which they said was being "professionally" videotaped. Well of course the end-product was pretty awful from the point of view of picture-quality, but the funny thing was that all you could hear on the sound track were the keyboards - and I wasn't even in the band and I was just adding some tasteful "pads". The guitarists and bass player in the band were pretty annoyed! ;)

19. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    :eek:

Oh, you said PROMO video.

Never mind...:D

Will C.:cool:

20. FLEABITE

FLEABITE

Apr 13, 2001
    Kent, England.
    My band put a video of us playing as a multimedia track on our demo. It seems weird watching yourself; its like listening to your own voice on tape, you think, "is that me!?". I s'pose it can be useful to work on your technique and review your mistakes though...