1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ever Bought a Bass That..........

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Crow, Aug 14, 2007.

1. Crow

Crow

Oct 28, 2006
    Cleveland, Ohio
    No matter how much you play it, it just doesn't "do" it for you? There is a thread here on TB about hollow/semihollow body basses. Someone posted a pix of an Ibanez Artcore ASB140 that I thought wow, thats a great looking bass. I went to the Musician's Friend website & it said "in stock". I ordered it, only to get an EMail saying sorry but they were out of stock & it was a discontinued item. During their warehouse change recently, they must have come across one, brand new, in the box cuz I got another email telling me it shipped.

It arrived, absolutely beautiful, but tone, for all practical purposes, there is none. I put a set of D'Addario rounds on it, still sounds flat & dead, then some Fender Flats, same deal. Too bad, it's such a beautiful instrument, for a "fake" hollowbody because the sides just seem to be routed out, not a true semi like the Lakland.

I pull it out of it's box (don't have a case for it yet) daily & hope that maybe the bass fairy came overnight & touched it with her magic wand & made it sound really, really nice, but nope, same great looking, lousy sounding PoS as yesterday.

2. Rockman

Rockman

Mar 2, 2006
    No, but thats why i always check them out at the store. But the real reason i read this thread is because i have a bassist friend who goes by crow.

3. emesen

emesen

Jan 3, 2007
    Lake Forest, Ca
    I had a Tobias Renegade 5 string - great looking bass, transparent yellow with maple fretboard with no markers - all Bartolini... and for some reason I never got into it. Ended up with a Fender Jazz that I made some mods to and like much better.

4. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    Try it out in a band setting. Sometimes basses that don't sound all that great by themselves, kick some serious tail in a band setting/mix. The reverse is true as well. I've had a couple of basses that sounded killer on their own, and were absolutly terrible in a band setting.

Playing by yourself isn't really the best way to figure out if a bass has "the sound"

I always wait to hear what a bass sounds like with the band before I decide wheather or not it's a keeper.

Keep in mind that you'll have to EQ a Hollow body/ or a semi Hollow, like that Ibby, with humbuckers quite a bit differntly than a solid body with single coils, to get a decent sound out of it.

What basses do you like the tone of? What are you playing currently?

5. I felt the same way about the Lakland hollowbody I briefly owned.
    It played great, and loved the way it sounded on it's own.
    But it just didn't fit in soundwise with the band. It also felt like it was gigantic.

That said, I wouldn't turn down the chance to try another, and maybe try some different strings on it.

6. I have an AGB-140 and I love it. My bandmates also love it. I just strung it up with medium D'Addario Chromes and it sounds fat and rich with lots of wonderful thumpy goodness.

7. Tomis17

Tomis17

Jan 21, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I bought a Warwick FNA Jazzman a couple years ago for a hefty price at GC and man was that thing pretty! The sound was on the contrary. No thump to it like I thought a Warwick would. No matter how I adjusted the EQs or changed the strings it still sounded like sh!t. The thing drove me crazy because I thought about selling it a couple of times but couldn't do it because I put so much into it. When I finally traded it away for a Thumb Bass, that was the biggest relief ever!

8. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    "for a "fake" hollowbody because the sides just seem to be routed out, not a true semi like the Lakland."

I don't understand this statement.

9. Crow

Crow

Oct 28, 2006
    Cleveland, Ohio
    If you look at the construction of the Artcore ASB140, there is a solid piece of wood running through the middle of the body from where the neck meets, to the endpin. looking through the F hole, you can even see router cuts along the sides of this piece of wood. I do believe that the body was at one time a solid piece of wood or 3 or 4 or 5 maybe glued together then routed/milled to remove the excess wood on the sides where the F holes are.

If you look at the inside of a Casady bass, there is only a block of wood from the endpin to where the 3 point tailpiece is mounted to support it, a true semi-hollow body, like my Gibson Les Paul Florentine.

10. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Spector Euro 5. I loved the look and the sound of the people who use them but it was heavy and not particularly articulate. It had EMGs in it, but then so did a Precision I had which sounded a lot better. Then I got my first Warwick LX; the bass was lighter, the neck wider but easier to play, and the tone much less sterile. I had purchased the Spector used and was lucky to get about the same money I spent on it back.

11. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    And so, in your opinion, what are my Gibson EB-2 and Epiphone Rivoli? "Fake hollowbodies"?

12. Crow

Crow

Oct 28, 2006
    Cleveland, Ohio
    I don't know anything about how your Rivoli & EB2 are constructed. I'm simply stating that in my opinion, the Artcore ASB140 was at one time a solid body that had the surrounding wood milled away. A true hollowbody, like the big fat Gibson Jazz boxes has the tailpiece mounted to the rear of the body where there is support to do so. There is no way a tailpiece/bridge could be mounted to the thin laminated maple top, unless a block was placed underneath to give support. The ASB140 does not have a block, it has a solid piece of wood running down the center, with only the sides milled out. So I would not call that even a semi-hollow body, but a chambered solid body.

13. bearfoot

bearfoot

Jan 27, 2005
    schenectady, ny
    I was going to feel sorry for you, but then you go mentioning you also have a Gibson semi-hollow.
    But that has happened to me - a really striking tiger maple hollowbody Turser JTB-134, that has got all the classic tone you could ask for but loses its balls on the low E, and no amount of tweaking will solve it - it is the acoustic property of the instrument and is clearly noticeable unplugged as well. So, its a really pretty, handy tone to have in the arsenal, but with no good low E it could never be a main bass.
    I almost traded it on one of the previous Artcores, the brown one with the longscale neck, but it was at a Guitar Center, where they left me hanging, afraid to rouse their manager - just as well, I really prefer supporting my local small shops anyway.
    That version of the Artcore has a killer blues/classic rock tone, and has a similar construction to yours.

14. ggunn

ggunn

Aug 30, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Hmmm. A Gibson ES335 is properly termed a semi-hollowbody guitar, and it has a piece of wood about 4 inches wide that fills the gap between the front and back shells and runs from the heel of the neck all the way to the rear strap button.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gibson_ES-335

15. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2007
    Austin, TX
    eww. just eww. i didn't like the Ibanez either when i played one. few weeks later a friend of mine calls and exclaims to me that she bought the most wonderful bass in the whole world. turns out to be the Ibanez. i say great. first chance i got i took her to Bass Emporium, had her play one of the Laklands. she went home and sold the Ibanez. it was awesome.

16. 88persuader

88persuader

Aug 5, 2007
    When I first started playing bass I made a few bad choices, that was years ago. The only bass I've bought in the past 10 years that I couldn't get happy with was a Groovetools 8 string bass. It was beautiful and had an awesome sound but to play the low B string, because the neck was so wide I had to wear the bass too high it hurt my wrists. At the end of a gig my wrists would throb. Too bad though ... it SOUNDED and looked awesome, people sure noticed it. It was an attention getter on stage and IMO anything that gets people's attention on stage in a positive way is worth giving a shot. We are there to entertain after all! :)

17. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston

Crow,

A semi-hollow body has a center block that connects the top to the back, and runs the entire length of the body.

A hollow body has no center block.

The Jack Casady is kind of a modified semi hollow body, that has a small block at the tail end for the bridge to screw into, and a thin piece of wood that runs the length of the body on the back, but doesn't extend all the way up to the top, giving it most of the characteristics of a true hollowbody, without the flimsy floating arch top style bridges.

The Lakland is also a hybrid design IMO. It's a routed out front, and a routed out back glued together to make a hollow body to the best of my knowledge. This also alows for a solid mount bridge, as they don't rout out the wood where the bridge mounts.

The Eppi Rivoli and Gibson 335's are standard issue, traditional semi hollow bodies. The Ibanez would fall into the semi-hollow catagory too.

Hoffner's 500/1 , club bass etc. are traditional hollow bodies.

18. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

I hate hollow body basses. No idea why, they just don't do it for me.

Strange though as my favorite 6 string guitar I have ever owned was an ES-335 Gibson hollowbody and at the time I was 100% a Les Paul Guy.

19. I bought an Ibanez EDB 400 about 6 months ago and when I tried it out in the shop, it sounded pretty nice. But now, compared to my Jazz, it sounds really bland and I never play the bass anymore. It's a shame because it has a nice neck and looks pretty good too : / I would love to trade her for a nice P bass :)
    Dan

20. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    80's Ibanez Destroyer. I loved loved loved the Explorer shape, and this band I used to be in let me use their Hamer bass that was shaped like an Explorer, and it was pretty decent. So when I quit, I decided to get another one, and a good deal on this Destroyer presented itself. Most cardboard tone I ever heard in my life once I got in a band setting. It ended up strictly as a spare, using it on two tunes we'd tune down for in my next band, then never getting used again until I sold it.