Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ever built a 'Stick'?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by bassteban, Feb 2, 2005.

1. I mean a Chapman Stick(style-instrument). If so, what's radically different in set up, pickups, etc?

2. All it should require is a nice straight neck, able to be very flat and low. And good hi gain pups, and a preamp wouldn't be a bad idea. :)
    Oh course a good bridge would be another important piece. And frets will be the hardest to find, well at least for a stick, my Warr uses regular frets.
    I've been thinking of building a touch style this spring.
    Dirk

3. Keep us posted, eh?

4. Pardon my sloppy posting 'skills'- what's the difference between the Stick's frets & 'regular' frets?

5. That's just crazy! Are the frets on touchstyle instruments generally larger? If you could point me to a site w/all this info, I'll stop bothering you.

6. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Have a good look at www.stick.com and you will have a lot of your answers. Re. frets, bridges, pups, w/e. Just look good on all pictures and read all the articles.
    The info in there is quite full!

7. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Always groove.... Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Columbia, Md
    Just keep yourself covered from a legal standpoint. Chapman has a history of lawsuits.

8. I'd never make more than one or two at the most for own use, & they likely would not resemble any specific brand or model enough to cause the most lawsuit-happy lawyer to notice. When I say 'stick' it's only because I'm fairly in the dark on touch-style instruments. But thank you for the tip.