Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ever cover Lowdown by Boz Scags?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Steve, Sep 13, 2003.

1. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    I'd be intertested to know how you handled the chordal passages.

2. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Covered this back in the late '70s?
    Caveat: I did not play it exactly like the record...nor do I exactly recall what I played then.
    So-
    ;)

Thinking now, it sounds like 10ths descending on the G-string(with some chromatic lead-ins) with the ROOTs being played on the E-string.
    If I still have the recording, I'll check it out later.

BTW, if you're a David Hungate fan, check out his playing on Lee Ritenour's "Mr. Briefcase" + the melodic fills on "99's" outro.

3. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    You are correct sir! I used to play and sing this one. I usually don't have trouble singing while playing (I've been told by other musicians I must be wired strange....what could they mean? :meh: :p ), but this one made me concentrate a little harder than normal.

It is 10ths, decending chromaticaly from D (on the E string) and F# (on the G string) simultaneously.

Hungate used a P-bass on this so using just the neck pickup (on a 2 pickup bass) will help you aproximate the tone.

Also, keep in mind to pull/hammer the high D to E lick on the D string, not the G string. You do this because there is a quick high A (on the G string/ most bassists miss this) on beat 4 just before you pull/hammer D to E on the "and a" of beat 4. This starts at the full band mark (not the drum & bass intro) and occures on every other phrase after that (i.e. the first and third time for every four times).

Have fun. :D

4. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    If you really put an ear on that passage in question you can hear another note going on above all that which means it's double tracked or requires a 5 string and some remarkably painful triads. Those 4 measures are WAY harder than Sir Duke ever was.

In any case I just don't want it bad enough. I'm taking the easy way out. 10th's here I come.

MrDOS likes this.
  5. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    I've read several accounts of that tune from David Hungate himself and not once does he mention any bass overdubs and states that he played a 4-string Precision.

I'm sure you're hearing something else that you're confusing with bass overdubs...or your ears are making stuff up.;) :D

6. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Could still have been an overdub. That kind of thing is not all that uncommon. I'll have to have a listen if I still have that LP somewhere. BTW, a second hi-hat is overdubbed on that tune; I do remember that.

7. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    Hmm...Anything is possible when it comes to me having halucinations of any kind but...

My computer speakers are very good and I have looping software so I checked that riff about a million times. This is what I'm hearing

First triad:
    G-string 18th fret
    D-string 19th fret
    B-string 15th fret

Second triad:
    G-string 16th fret
    D-string 18th fret
    B-string 14th fret

Third triad:
    G-string 14th fret
    D-string 16th fret
    B-string 13th fret

Fourth triad:
    D-string 13th fret
    A-string 14th fret
    B-string 12th fret

Pretty simple chord structures IF you move the low note up an octave but that ain't where it's played.

If you're doing it on a four string, you're comming over the top and tapping the low notes with your right hand because you have to let the double stop ring.

8. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Wow. Are you sure you're listening to the same song.:eek: I know, in one of the Hungate articles, he even had a transcription of the tune. It was notated (and Tab'd) on a 4-string with NONE of the business you have going on up there.

Also, keep in mind when this song was recorded. Not many 5-strings (if any) around with a low B string at the time.

Davis Hungate seems like a very forth coming, on the level guy. Plus, I have heard (and played) this song thousands of times, I have VERY good audio systems throughout my home and vehicle (not to mention Studio Quality cans), and hear none of this stuff you're hearing coming from the bass part. I don't see any reason for Hungate not to take credit for his work.

How about a Steve Lukather rhythm guitar part (or two)?

9. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    Wow, It's amazing that two people can listen to the same song and have such totaly different interpratations.

There's something to be learned from that if nothing else:D

10. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    At this point it's not even about whether I hear it or not. It's about, if that's what's really happening, why wouldn't Hungate cop to it?:confused: :meh:

11. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001

No reason what-so-ever. What (I think) I hear is WAY harder then plain 'ol 10th's. It that were my playing I would be shouting it from the rooftops.

I also agree that the line pre-dates the 5-string bass for the most part. It also pre-dates most, if not all, bass tapping techniques.

In any case, I don't recall my ears ever failing me so miserably. That little issue is really screwing with my brain at this point.

12. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.
    I also do a lot of sequence programming for the various groups I play with (I've put a lot of keyboard players out of work/Left hand Bass, my ass! :eek: :D ). It's funny how often, when I sequence an old song that I've heard forever, when you have to suddenly be really concious of all the parts to sequence them properly, you hear things that you've missed and find some things aren't really how you thought they were under close scrutiny.

The only thing that makes me believe in my own certainty on this is the Hungate article, not neccessarily my own interpretation.:)

13. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Ya know...the Oldies station played "Lowdown" this a.m.
    It does sound like two bass parts happenin'(IMO, overdubbed). There is something weird going on...

Does Hungate have a website?
    ;)

14. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Not sure.

I'll try to see if I still have one of the articles laying around.