1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ever customized a bass only to realize you liked the original look better?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RaginRog, Nov 24, 2010.

1. RaginRog

RaginRog Last guy you want to see is Employee Relations guy

Nov 29, 2009
    Formerly Staten Island
    I use the term customized "loosely"

Have any of you ever spent money on the appearance of your bass....be it a pickguard, or paint job, or new neck...only to find you liked the original appearance better?

Such is the case for me...to a degree.

I really like the look of my "Lynott-inspired" Black Fender P bass, but find myself preferring/missing the look of it with a Black or Tort pickguard. :meh:

2. spaz21387

spaz21387

Feb 25, 2008
    Portland oregon
    not the case for me but really the only really look related mods I have done were a tort pickguard in the place of a white one on a black bass... and a tort pickguard in the place ofa black one on a white bass. Both were improvements

3. Yep.

I have a CIJ 62 Reissue Jazz. Its Oly white with a rosewood board.

It came with a tort guard (of course), i ended up adding the neck and bridge pickup covers, was really digging the total vintage look at the time.

A few weeks later, ripped of the covers and guard and play the thing naked :hyper:

4. JimB52

JimB52 User Supporting Member

May 24, 2007
    East Coast
    1971 Telecaster bass.
    In 1974, I stripped the finish, reshaped and contoured the body, pulled the frets and inlayed hand whittled graduated width walnut fret markers.
    Wish I'd left it alone. What do I win?

[​IMG]

5. RaginRog

Nov 29, 2009
    Formerly Staten Island
    I did the opposite...I replaced the original Tort guard on my Oly white P bass, and added a black guard....it has that classic Dee Dee Ramone-sque appearance I love.

Been there done that one too. I hate that the bridge cover gets in the way. I didn't mind the neck pickup cover as much though.

The hindsight is 20/20 saying comes to mind. Doesn't look bad though.

6. I'm regularly tempted to replace the white pickguard on my Fender P, but I'd hate to lose the aged yellow that the years have put into it. To my eyes, a instrument with a yellowed white pickguard looks better than the same with a tort pickguard.

7. Rezdog

Rezdog Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    T.Rez, Canada
    Greetings from the North,

Ah....but I like the Lynott lol. Since it's not butchered you can always change it back to stock or pass it on. After all you did do an awesome job on it.

Back in ancient times I did butcher a Rick and put a couple of Jazz pickups in it a la Roger Glover (Deep Purple-Machinehead days). Sounded pretty good & looked awful.

Rezdog

8. RaginRog

Nov 29, 2009
    Formerly Staten Island
    Very true, I think the antique'd look is fantastic, especially on a bass that's showing legitimate wear....
    Hey Rez!
    Yeah, I like the Lynott bass too, but that's more Phil's preference...I think Roger prefers a Tort or Black pg on his bass! :D

Do you still have any pictures of the Ric you modified? I would think that would have looked great, especially with the right pickup surround/rings.

9. ggunn

ggunn

Aug 30, 2006
    Austin, TX
    My first electric guitar was (is) an early 60's Melody Maker (the rounded double cutaway Les Paul Jr shape half as thick) with the wraparound bridge, cherry red finish, and one single coil pickup. I "improved" it by stripping the finish and redoing it in a walnut stain, putting two humbuckers and a tune-o-matic bridge with separate tailpiece on it, and replacing the tuners. It's still a nice little guitar, but I wish I'd let it be.

10. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 5, 2004
    Mount Vernon, Illinois
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
    Maybe... but I always learned something performing any cosmetic changes, so I can't say I ever completely regretted experimenting with the looks of a bass.

In fact I have sold a few basses because I knew the value would decrease if I DID personalize them any.

11. RaginRog

Nov 29, 2009
    Formerly Staten Island
    Still sounds like a winner, but I understand. Any pictures?
    Yeah, I've learned and gotten better at soldering through the years...and I know I'll likely never refinish a bass in a "Rush" job....patience...

12. I bought a MIJ Fender jazz a few years back, oly white with a rosewood board.

So of course i customised it, i got a tort guard, thumb rest, pickup covers (Neck and bridge), gave it a nice vintage look to it.

About a month later i removed everything and it looks as how i purchased it :/

Now im thinking about placing everything back on, haha.

13. EdHunter

EdHunter

Jan 14, 2010
    Dublin
    I waskindaapprehensive about that very same issue. Turns out Bill and Phil have similar preferences...

14. I put pickup and bridge covers, thumbrest, and a 70s pattern pickguard on my classic 70s jazz; took all the stuff till someone in the audience said they liked the way it looked tricked out. Put it all back on again. Weird, huh?

15. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize!

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I put a leather pick guard on one bass. I liked it at the time, but I now wish I had left it alone since I prefer the clean look without the pick guard. Unfortunately, it now has the screw holes, so I leave the pick guard on.