Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ever defret a bass?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by ArtFS, Jul 3, 2001.

1. ArtFS

ArtFS

Jul 3, 2001
    Virginia
    I've got a Ibanez GSR 200 layin around and I am pondering turning it into a fretless. I was just wondering if anyone has any good tips so that I dont screw it up.

2. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Hey Art,

Welcome to TalkBass! There've been quite a few threads on this very topic lately. Oftentimes, you can find a ton of good information using the search feature in the menu on the left. I did a quick search on 'de-fret' and came up with some interesting stuff. Right on the second page, I came across a link posted by Hambone, (one of the moderators of the Setup forum, and a pretty knowledgeable guy for answering the questions). This site has some good info...

http://www.geocities.com/charlesarms/

Most of the folks around here are pretty helpful, so you're definitely in the right place to get your questions answered. It also helps if you fill out your profile. This lets people know what kind of equipment you may have laying around, what your influences are, just a glimpse of who you are in very general terms... Yeah, I know that mine's not filled out. Just lazy I guess!

BTW, yes I have converted several basses to fretless. I say, (as I always to when somebody is Jonesin' to modify a bass :D ), Go For It!!

Good luck, and once again, Welcome!

-robert

3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Welcome aboard!

www.bassplayer.com has an article titled "Fretless Tech; The Correct Wat to Defret" or something like that. Go to their site, click on Gear at the top of the page and scroll down to the link. It's hard to miss.

4. Cornbread

Cornbread

Jun 20, 2000
    Lawrence, Ma
    Don't use polyurethane; use epoxy if you can find it.

5. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
  6. Funny you say that, because I just got finished defretting my old Ibanez GSR200.... words of wisdom..... don't slice open your thumb.... (the screwdriver slipped one time and I sliced open my thumb).... its kinda hard to take the frets out because the frets don't go all the way to the end (I found that out very quickly).... anyway after defret it looks great, sounds great, good luck.

7. i had a p-bass just hanging around, its not in the best condition looks wise (everything else is fine), so i decided instead of selling it for pitance, i'd turn it into fretless, luckily my uncle makes guitars, so i got him to take off the rosewood fingerboard, and custom make me a new maple, unmarked fingerboard, i finished it off my putting EMG's in it and some nylon-wound strings. and so there u have it, ripping the frets out isn't the only option :)
    Si-bob

8. I've got to warn you posters that Si-bobs approach, while thorough, is probably the most expensive way to get a fretless - even more expensive than replacing the neck entirely. The removal and replacement of a fingerboard is a very technical process and requires a true luthier to accomplish. Around here (Atlanta) it'll run you around $200 dollars for such a modification.

No slam on you Si-bob, you've got access to a great resource (use it regularly I say!!) but there are less expensive and IMO better ways to accomplish the same thing.