Ever done this?

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Vox Populi, Nov 19, 2004.

1. Vox Populi

Vox Populi Reggae Loving Honkey

Jan 27, 2004
    Poulsbo, WA
    Have you ever been walking around a store or something and noticed that you're playing fingerstyle on some object like a clothes rack? It's hard to describe what I mean.

I always find myself doing this at work. Thumping along on some unknown bassline on a piece of metal or something. I'm sure people look at me wierd.
  2. yah i do it all the time at work at school all the time i slap my thumb on my leg when i am standing around in the middle of a test i will be practicing like a 12321 technique or something i do it all the time and yes people do look at you funny.
  3. Brat

Jun 4, 2004
    NW Indiana.
    If I'm sitting down I usually fingerstyle on the seams of my jeans, and when I'm standing, I "air bass" with an "air pick."
  4. When I'm in class I usually just practice the double thumb pluck technique on the edge of the desk. :)
  5. cosmodrome

cosmodrome Registered User

Apr 30, 2004
    ****town, Netherlands
    every day. on anything that feels even slightly like a string. looks ridiculous.
  6. LittleJaco

Nov 4, 2004
    yeah, i play Euphonium also so I run through my scales all day in my head so they're jammed in
  7. I tend to work on my drumming skills when I'm sitting around doing nothing. Occasionally I'll start fingering/slapping on the desk some bass riff I got goin in my head. People have gotten used to me doing it, so they don't look at me weird anymore.
  8. Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    I'd be doing that during a test, and it'd be ridiculously quiet, then you'd hear *thwap thwap crack thwap thump thump* and people would stare at me for at least 5 minutes before I'd realize what I was doing. By my sophmore year in H.S. they came to expect it, and would ask what was wrong when I didn't do it. :eyebrow:

9. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    i'm doing that while i'm taking a dump
  10. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I do that on my steering wheel!
  11. GrooveSlave

Mar 20, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Parking brake handle for me.

In all seriousness, I've been doing this consciously for the past 6 years and it has helped me a ton. I figured that the sooner I could get to 1 million reps - the sooner I would get good. It's working, if I do say so myself.

:bassist: :hyper:
  12. jim primate

jim primate bass guitarist.

when i figure a song out in my head w/ no bass present i move my left hand fingers around the fretboard and "air scale."