1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ever enjoyed a cheaper bass than a better one?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SUNNyday r., Aug 15, 2007.

1. SUNNyday r.

SUNNyday r.

Oct 17, 2006
    Bay Area
    I bought a Rogue Violin bass yesterday after selling the Turser Violin bass I bought a couple of months ago. I was impressed with the Turser and the Rogue seems even more well put together. I am enjoying it and glad to find one used as I had sellers remorse after selling the Turser. Anyway, I wondered if anyones else bought a cheaper bass of some sort and found it much more satisfying than another, more classy bass you might own? In my case I bought a Lakland Skline Hollowbody but after the honeymoon wore off I am not so into it. And yes, it is for sale. What cheapie do you have that kept your attention over a "better" bass?

2. DanielleMuscato

DanielleMuscato

Jun 19, 2004
    Columbia, Missouri, USA
    Endorsing Artist, Schroeder Cabinets
    After hearing my Line6 Variax in a studio setting, I sold my Modulus Quantum 5 and Spector NS-5, and bought a 2nd Variax.

My main bass is an MTD Artist 5. It was $450 used on eBay. The neck is much more comfortable than anything I've played, except the higher-end MTDs. I would (and do) choose my MTD for practicing and live performance over anything costing up to about $2,500.

3. ibanezcollector

ibanezcollector Yoyo's Hurt When You Crank It Into Your Face

Feb 18, 2007
    Cleveland Ohio
    yup..

I went from higher end Ibanez and Yamaha TRBs to Squiers and a SX

4. doctorjazz

doctorjazz

Oct 22, 2006
    Wilmington, NC
    I once A/B'ed MIM and MIA Jazzes in my local shop and preferred the MIM, feel and sound-wise.

5. I've owned and played many Precision basses but my two favorites are an Electra and a Vantage with a 32" scale. The Electra has a more woody focused punchy sound than a Fender P and I like the feel of the neck better. It also has nice maple fingerboard with a perfect fret job. It just does everything well from finger playing, pick or slapping.

The Vantage also has great neck, rosewood fretboard and is very lightweight. I just installed a Nordstrand NP4 in it this evening and now I'm REALLY in love with this little bass!! :bassist:

I also have a Peavey T-40 and they speak for themselves!

I've never played an inexpensive jazz bass that really impressed me :(

6. SUNNyday r.

SUNNyday r.

Oct 17, 2006
    Bay Area
    Ah yes, you do love your Electras!:) I have a Westone Phoenix that has not made it past the "project" stage. I wish I could get back a few MIJ cheapies that have got away from me. I also have a Dillion Mosrite type thing that stays while others of higher quality leave the stable.

7. dcr

dcr Supporting Member

Yup!

My favorite go-to bass I payed $300 for then dropped in about $200 worth of pickups. I'd rather play it over my two Elricks and my Benavente Custom.

dcr

8. Phase42

Phase42

Sep 22, 2005
    Wenatchee, WA
    I've got one of those Rogue 6-strings, and it's the best-built, best-sounding bass I've ever played.

9. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I can't say I enjoy playing it more than my other more expensive basses, but my Turser Beatle bass rules, and I use it every bit as much as any other bass I own.

10. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab ACME,QSC,Fame/Hondo/Greco/HELIX user & BOSE Abuser Gold Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2004
    South Texas
    but modify your question to "Ever enjoyed a cheaper bass than a higher-priced one?"

The adjective "better" in many cases goes in front of the cheaper one.
    While Gibson, Orvilles, and other higher cost basses stayed home last night, these made the show:
    3LPclonesFXd.

Two Greco LP clones and a Brice 30" scale LP clone. The Brice is the easiest to play of anything I've played in the last 15 years besides a CHEAP acoustic bass. This was the Brice's "experiment" night(1st use in a band setting).

11. Of all the Matsumoku basses, I've never owned a Westone. Many are identical to the Electras other than the painted necks and body colors.

It would be interesting to do a "blind bass test" I would put the Electra P up against ANY of the big guys. I'm thinning out the Electra collection down from 5 to 2. ;)

I was suprised that the pickup in the Vantage wasn't nearly as good as the ones in the Electras, they are identical. Maybe I just got a bad one. The Nordy sure cured the problem!!!

12. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Whoa. I don't want to derail this thread, so PM me if you'd rather, but I'd LOVE to see more pics of those Greco LPs.

My Roscoe has been my go-to bass for the past 4 or 5 years, but if I have a need for a 5-string, the Ibanez ATK is usually picked up before the Modulus, Benavente, or Cirrus.

13. seansbrew

seansbrew

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    So far no, expensive basses are always better.

14. FenderP

FenderP Supporting Member

May 7, 2005
    Well, nothing beats the '78 P I own both live and in the studio. I paid $400 in 1988 for it :)

If you're talking more modern, I've gone through a number of other basses. Two of the best recently were the Tokai P clones I recently sold to fund other things. The sunburst APB-'57 was my main gigging bass for awhile; it had a great neck and a great tone. I also owned an APB-'64. I went into GC and compared them to a '59 (?) Custom Shop Relic for $2500 - nearly 6x more than what I paid for each bass individually. BOth Tokais were better both in terms of feel, build quality, and sound. At least they were to me.

Some basses I've owned were just not my tone (a couple of G&Ls, three different MusicMan Stingrays, a Rick Turner Ren), but I never use price as an indicator of quality necessarily.

15. SUNNyday r.

SUNNyday r.

Oct 17, 2006
    Bay Area
    So true! I write posts even worse than I play. I think everyone gets the idea though. I want the Greco LP! I sold my Epiphone LP bass which would qualify as lower end and now your pics make me want it back. The frets were sorta of bad but it was beutiful and sounded very unique! And FL, Iwant to get that Westone back together but your Electras never fail to impress when you post pics. Ever find an Outlaw yet?

16. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    IMO, if you like the cheaper bass, it's the better bass.:cool:

17. RoboHobo

RoboHobo

Dec 20, 2006
    Stillwater, MN
    Yeah, I traded some bicycles for a MIM P-bass, and my EBMM sub 4 active has been sitting neglected since. I also picked up an early 70s Epiphone EA-260 hollowbody that I enjoy more than the MM.

Now I've got a Squier VM Telebass on order...

Lovin' the cheapies. :D

18. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    I think T-40's kick the living snot out of many many basses that cost more than double.

19. 82Daion

82Daion

Nov 14, 2006
    My main bass for the last three years has been the Daion, a $450 MIJ device which I've been most pleased with. I've sold basses worth double and even triple that amount while it's stuck around.

It was affordable, but it's not really cheap.

20. the_fonz

the_fonz

Nov 27, 2006
    Kane, PA
    wait
    you bought a second variax?
    isn't the point of a variax multiple basses in one so you only need one bass?
    NOW THE UNIVERSE WILL IMPLODE