Ever Forget Your HEAD?

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by sobie18, Apr 25, 2004.

1. Here's the story...

Work a full Mid Shift (2400-1000 hrs), get off work @ 1000 hrs, allergy test from 1000-1200, chase down the UPS man who has my new Modulus Q6, test it out, load the car for an out of town gig, drive 40 minutes to change vehicles & carpool with the singer & guitarist, drive 3.5 HOURS to the gig (Salt Lake City to Cedar City), arrive at the club, load the equipment, THEN REALIZE YOU LEFT YOUR AMPLIFIERS IN YOUR TRUNK BACK AT THE SINGER'S HOUSE (which is 3.5 HOURS away!).

Holy cow...I was SO MAD at myself. I wanted to die! I NEVER forget ANYTHING! But, the sound man knew a bassist and let me borrow an old SWR 350 which got me through the gig.

WHAT A NIGHTMARE! :help:
  2. LumpyGravy

LumpyGravy Guest

May 8, 2002
    Sounds like I heard that one recently.
  3. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Ouch... :eek:

Lucky for you you could at least get anuther head - imagine what would've been the case if you couldn't get even that! :eek:
  4. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    We played a show at a frat house at ISU, which is about two and half hours of Chicago. Because of work,I couldn't make it out to the rehearsal space to load up all of our gear, so my other band members loaded up everything the night before we had to leave.

Met up with the band members, drove 2.5 hours south, got to the gig okay. A funny thought comes to mind, while my guitarist and I are both standing at the urinals. (That information isn't necessary, but makes the situation that much funnier.)

Me: "Hey... you brought my bass, right?"
    Guitarist: "......."
    Me: "...right?"

Man, that sucked. I had to borrow one from one of the frat brothers who happened to play bass, and I did the gig on an Ibanez fiver I was _very_ uncomfortable with. I don't leave my bass at the rehearsal space anymore. :D
  5. yeah, I know how you feel. Sometimes I forget bass straps and the power lead for the amplifier head. Sometimes if you are rushed and had a busy day you can get a bit flustered. I have made straps outta gaff tape to make it through the gig.
  6. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    I forgot my head once. Lucikly I remembered after an hour and had to return home to get it. Not a good feeling...
  7. Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    I had a head with removable power cord.

I remembered the head...forgot the cord.

Thankfully someone in the audience who was hanging around with the band as we were setting up, had a computer at home. He went and returned with the cord.

I HATE removable cords!!! :)
  8. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    Haha, that sux, but I've bailed out guys like you before. We look out for eachother :)
  9. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Right now, I'm in a constant state of forgetting my head. I'm project manager and lighting director for this year's musical, as well as on the set design team, and I'm doing the "cue sheet" (basically, every entrance, exit, sound, lighting, music, and set change in the show) with two other people, I've got two classes that are a year above the year I'm actually IN, bass lessons, and the class that's responsible for production for the musical -- the grade 12 drama class -- is being taught by a teacher that's only in her second year of teaching, and it's her first biiiiig show. Compound that with my lack of sleep, constant dedication to bass (I play now more than ever), directors and coreographers that change their minds every three days, and it's no wonder that I forget my jacket at school for four days at a time or I barely ever remember to return my books to the library on time. Tonight, I was at the cue sheet during third period for an hour and a half, then after school for four and a half hours. Rough.
  10. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I did forget my head once - so I was in Wales, way over the west and drove back home for about 4 hours - then had to go straight out for a gig way in the east of England. Unpacked a load of stuff and forgot to re-pack my head which was in a small rucksack. I had to play through the band p.a. all night - couldn't hear a thing, although people said it sounded OK out front!!
  11. I'm going into the studio this weekend and I hope NOT to forget anything...