Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ever found a GoogleWhack!!?? I did today!!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Bruce Lindfield, Jan 5, 2004.

1. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

So I am currently top of the stack at

http://www.googlewhack.com/tally.pl

...with my two-word phrase that returns one and only one site from Google :

"Wittgensteinian Urologist"

So - the two words have to be real in Dictionary.com - Google does this for you anyway.

Anybody else done this an left their two words on the whack stack!!?? ;)

www.googlewhack.com

2. Bruce Lindfield

Well...if nobody has doen this before - then how about trying it and posting your succesful whacks here - we could start our own stack!! :)

3. I don't know if it's rare but I've come across a 3 word term that appears to be whack...

"Truss Rod Spelunking"

It didn't take long.

4. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I got no results on that one. The point appears to be to find queries that get exactly 1 result.

brad cook

5. Bruce Lindfield

That's right - the two words have to be real words and to appear on one single website, as found by Google - it's not that easy!!

:p

6. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
  7. Bruce Lindfield

Yeah....I'm thinking of calling my next album :

"Wittgensteinian Urologist"

:D

8. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Got one:

"antidisestablishmentarianism antivenom"

However, it won't verify it at googlewhack even though both have definitions at www.dictionary.com because apparently it's not linked to all definitions. (and yes, I know the correct word should be "antivenin" but antivenom is used in the medical community and appears at dicionary.com)

brad cook

9. Bruce Lindfield

I looked at that and it also breaks another of the "rules" of google whack - that is, it is referring to a list. The link has to be a proper website - not just a list or dictionary - things like that.

So - I am still the only peson on TB who has a googlewhack on the "official stack" !!! :D

10. Bruce Lindfield

What are the rules?
    Don't use quote marks within your query! Quotes tell Google to find the enclosed words immediately adjacent - and that's just too easy! As you whack, please respect these simple guidelines:

1. Your two Googlefactors must exist in this dictionary. It's so easy to confirm: Google does the work! (And, Google has the final word!) In the blue bar atop your Google results, accepted terms are linked to dictionary.com, and so appear 'underlined.' No line, no link = Googlejack! (As in, You've got jack! :)

2. Google also is the arbiter of a whack's uniqueness. Look to the right end of the blue bar atop your Google results. If you see "Results 1 - 1 of (any number),' you found exactly one hit = Googlewhack!

3. Google shows you an excerpt of the page you whacked. Look at that text. If it's merely a list of words (such as a bibliography, concordance, encyclopedia, glossary, thesaurus, or dictionary), No Whack For You!

If your Googlefactors don't comply, some other whacker will certainly test them, then expose your treachery to all!
    Entries in The Whack Stack that breach rule three will be marked WORDLIST :-(.

If you record offensive comments in The Whack Stack, I may remove or change them at my discretion.

Excessive stacking of the same word may result in your whacks being removed. Deal with it.

11. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    Do pages from "Yahoo groups" sites count as legit web pages? Is Umm Qasar one word or two?

12. Bruce Lindfield

Go to www.googlewhack.com and try out your attempt!! They are the only arbiters and it doesn't count unless it works in their system! ;)

13. Bruce Lindfield

I just added another one to the stack !!! :D

"Kierkegaard Monocycle"

Come on TB'ers - surely somebody else can get one on the stack!!??

14. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
  15. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Um ... mmkay, but I'd rather not have guidelines for something so private.

16. Nick Gann

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Filibustering glottis

:D

17. Nick Gann

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
  18. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    My brother did it with "Tangerine Isocolese"(uh, the triangle. Not sure on SP)

I did it on "1850s ..." And then some kind of vest. Can't remember. I've googlewhacked on accident maybe 5 or 6 times.

19. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    polydactyl ephedra

20. Bruce is an official Googledork:p

EDIT- googlenerd?