1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ever Gas for a bass then were let down?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by kazamamaster, Mar 4, 2008.

1. kazamamaster

kazamamaster

Sep 15, 2005
    Richmond, VA
    Yup, just like the thread title, have you gassed really hard for a bass and finally get to play one and you were let down?

It happened to me for the first time yesterday. I had been gassing so hard for an AV Fender 75 RI. They had one in Sam Ash, and when I saw it, I noticed the price tag of 1,799.99 new----Not to mention I got a quote at Chuck Levin's for 1330 for the same bass. So I pull it off the wall to play it, and to my surprise, it's light as ever, and it sounded just like the Marcus Miller bass in passive mode, with just a little more punch to it.

My initial thought was, are you serious? I mean, the blocks/binding didn't even look authentic; the binding was painted on and I could see the paintlines even going over the frets. I was thinking, if I wanted a Fender Ash/Maple I could have gotten the Marcus Miller a long time ago....I've been saving for almost a year now, might as well get a Sadowsky.

Thoughts? Anyone else in the same boat?

2. estringnyc

estringnyc

Jun 21, 2007
    New York City
    Yep, what's worse is when you actually buy one and get let down.
    For the first time, in a long time, I actually went to the music store yesterday and played a couple of the basses I had been admiring here. Glad I did, I found that I much preferred another bass than the one I thought for sure I wanted to buy. Nothing like doing some real world homework before clicking that "buy" button.

3. MMcC

MMcC

Sep 10, 2005
    Dallas
    Fender Reggie Hamilton MIM. Yuck. I was unfortunate enough to have actually bought it before realizing its turdiness. Looks good on paper though.

4. Yeah, with about every fender ever. Was GASing for a Pbass, didn't like any of the ones that I played. Then I was GASing for a Jbass, didn't like any of the ones that I played. Then I was GASing for a sting sig, then played one and it was the worst bass that I have ever played in my life.

lowsound

5. Musicman Bongo :( (didn't feel right)
    Geddy Lee Jazz :meh: (Super-thin neck's not for me)

6. phatduckk

phatduckk

May 24, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    i finally played a P Deluxe (with the humbucker in the bridge) a few weeks ago and i hated it! i always thought id like em - but nope... didnt work out for me

7. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Every damn bass I've ever had custom made for me!!!!!!!!!
    I should know better, but you just have to play a bass to
    know if you like it.
    I used to go into Mike Tobias's shop in LA. He would have
    four basses on the finished rack, ready to ship. All the same
    wood and specs. THEY ALL PLAYED DIFFERENTLY!!
    I don't think I could ever buy another bass without playing
    it first, or being able to return it. PERIOD!

8. Double Agent

Double Agent

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    Funny, these are the two basses that come to mind for me, though I do recall them both fondly. In the end, neither was for me but for opposite reasons. The Geddy just couldn't get enough low end for me, it was all high-mid growl all the time. The Bongo was too much low end for me, it would go from sounding thin with the lows dialed down and the bridge p/u soloed to sounding hugely fat with nothing in between. I liked them both, but they weren't for me.

9. funkometer

funkometer Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2006
    Birmingham AL
    Acoustic image :)

10. johnpbass

johnpbass

Feb 18, 2008
    Glen Mills, PA
    Pedulla Thunderbolt 5. I special ordered it, flame maple. To my delight the store wouldn't let anyone even put their grubby hands on it, let alone play it and kept it in a glass case until I picked it up. Tone was fantastic, but I could not keep the neck straight on it. It required adjustment every 3 weeks.

11. hentor

hentor

Jan 2, 2008
    Toronto, Canada
    Yup,

My Rickenbacker 4003. GASed for a while and found that despite multiple attempts at a setup and intonation, some of the frets in the lower positions were out of tune. Loved its tone and feel, however could not abide by the fact that certain notes were ALWAYS out of tune no matter what gauge strings or setup I used. Of course using different gauge/brand strings voided the warranty.

12. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    yes, I wanted a Stingray for years. When I finally got one, it sounded like arse. I'm happy to report that my Bongo 5 has restored my faith in Musicman Basses

13. Flintc

Flintc

Aug 15, 2006
    Alabama
    I tried out the Schecter Studio and while I thought it was very good for the price, I'd been hoping for something quite a bit more. Maybe I was kidding myself. Much the same with the Ibanez SR506 - good price, good bass for the price but...meh.

As for what I've bought, most have been exactly what I wanted when I bought them, and I haven't changed my mind.

One of them, the 7-string Benavente, is gorgeous to look at, has a wonderful shallow neck, and has exactly the sound I was looking for. Balance and playability are wonderful. BUT, the neck moves easily and constantly, and I can figure on a couple minuts of neck twist and bridge tweak every time I play it. Nothing huge, but some nuisance value.

Conversely, the Gibson Tobias Basic I ordered from the factory took a couple months to settle down, and has been absolutely rock solid, super-low action without a hint of buzz anywhere, ever since. Best neck ever designed, plays so easy it's like cheating. Best of all, I can take it anywhere or grab it anytime without even thinking about setup.

So it swings both ways. Maybe some basses are less than you expected, but some can be a LOT more.

14. Warwick $$ 5 string....Total garbage....
    What a let down....

15. king_biscuit

king_biscuit Supporting Member

May 21, 2006
    US
    Not sure what you were looking at, but the binding on the AV75 is not painted on. The binding does extend over the fret ends, and perhaps that is causing the confusion. btw, the AV75 is available all over for around $1400.00, which is a pretty good deal. You couldn't touch a Sadowsky, even a Metro, for that.

16. routasydän

routasydän

Apr 25, 2006
    Oulu, Finland
    Yep, was gassing for a ric for a long time, then finally got to try one, played it a few minutes, and knew that this bass was not made for me. The neck was just something so different...Of course it was not because there was something wrong with the bass, it was like a ric should be i guess. I still love the looks and would love to test another one (i'm hoping maybe something would be different this time and it would magically feel perfect...:D)

17. kazamamaster

kazamamaster

Sep 15, 2005
    Richmond, VA
    You could very well be right. IMO however, I like how the binding is done on the Sadowsky UV models. Th frets go over the binding. IIRC that's the way it was done on the Marcus Miller models as well? Either way, I don't like the way it looked.

I was a little disappointed in the model I played to say the least. From what I heard about the bass, it was supposed to be all that strictly in passive mode, but upon thinking if I were to buy it, I was already thinking about changing the bridge and dropping in an Audere/J Retro. It just wasn't enough bottom for me either......

18. LongHairFreak

LongHairFreak Insert cool nickname? Nobody's given me one yet. Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2006
    Twin Cities - MN
    For me it was the Pedulla Thunderbass. Didn't like the neck. Didn't like the body shape. Didn't like the feel of the finish. Didn't get the sound I thought I should've been able to get either. Admittedly, I only messed with it for a short time on a small ss combo, but I never looked back again.

Maybe at that time, I was just too accustomed to my Yamaha RBX1000 to really enjoy something of quality. ;)

19. stretch80

stretch80 Supporting Member

Jan 31, 2005
    I agree that it's really critical to play basses and see what sings to you, cause we're all looking for different things. For me, the jazz bass never feels right, or sounds ballsy enough for me, although millions love em.

So, I like my stingray, p-bass, would love to get a G&L...

20. +1,000

Picked mine up a year ago for 1200......can't touch that with a big stick, but it just goes to prove the point that "different strokes............"

But I LOVE my 75!!!:hyper: