1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ever GAS for a bass you've never played?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by YCBass, Feb 29, 2008.

1. YCBass

YCBass Supporting Member

Aug 29, 2007
    SoCal
    Man, my curiosity for Nordy VJ5's and Sadowsky UV70-5's are killing me... Making me want to unload both my Fender Custom Classic J5 and American Series J4 to get one. But I've never played either bass, all I have to go on are TB reviews, pics and sound clips I hear once in a while.

Your turn.......

***Disclaimer: Ok guys, eventhough I expressed the desire to unload my Fenders, let's not make this a Fender-bashing thread ok? I just happen to have Fenders so that's all I have sell if anything. Thanks!

2. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    Yes, I gassed so hard for a Nordy vJ5 that I ordered one. I've never played one or even seen one in person. I'm taking a big chance on this bass, and I am hoping it turns out to be a real player.

3. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Supporting Member

If You like fenders, you'll probably love the Sadowsky

4. Buskman

Buskman

Apr 13, 2007
    Jersey Shore, USA
    I'd say pretty much half of the basses in the 'For Sale' section here! :D

5. mjolnir

mjolnir Thor's Hammer 2.1.3beta

Jun 15, 2006
    Houston, TX
    For me, it's Dingwall. I've been dying to play an Afterburner I or a Super J ever since I first heard about them.

I also have an unnatural fascination with Valenti basses. I'd love to get my hands on one of those some day.

6. jamzcl

jamzcl

Jul 21, 2004
    Des Moines, IA USA
    the last 3 basses I bought were all without ever touching one like it in person

7. Bass Below

Bass Below

Oct 24, 2006
    New York
    Knuckle Quake. Then I ordered one. Then I played a loaner for a few weeks and it only strengthened my desire to have one of my own. Always trust your gut ;)

8. KwinS

KwinS Supporting Member

Oct 30, 2006
    Dallas/Ft. Worth
    Yup. A six string unlined fretless jazz like Steve Bailey's

9. artdrtr

artdrtr

Jan 24, 2008
    Redondo Beach, CA
    SandbergJ.

With Lefty options so limited, when I found this Sandberg Cali J, I almost wet myself. Too bad the price + shipping is keeping it out of reach.....

10. vlad335

vlad335 Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2003
    Latrobe, PA
    Yep! This one.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=398806

[​IMG]

I gassed hard for this ever since it was posted. Now it's mine. ( Well, not exactly... FedEx has it now.)

The worst part is not only did I buy this without playing it, I never even played a Lakland before!

11. YCBass

YCBass Supporting Member

Aug 29, 2007
    SoCal
    I've been really wanting to go out and find these basses to try - the Nordstrand shop is only about an hour's drive away (I've already made an appointment once with Carey but things came up on that day and I couldn't come out :crying:) and so is the Amp Shop/Bass Exchange where I can try some Sadowsky's.

I need to get off my butt and pay a visit. The problem is I need to unload my basses first and if I try one and the GAS grows even bigger than what it is now, it might kill me. I'm not sure how hard/easy it will be to unload my 2.

12. fullrangebass

fullrangebass

May 7, 2005
    Europe
    Most of the basses I have owned I had not played them before, and I bought cause I GAS-ed for them

13. All the time. Most recently, I bought a used Lakland Skyline Jerry Scheff from the classifieds here without ever having seen one in person. I've had G.A.S. for that bass since I first saw a picture of one. My instincts turned out to be correct. :bassist:

14. Yes!! Even buying basses that I've played needed to be set up to my liking. The only bass that played perfectly when I took it home was my T-40............from the pawn shop. The previous owner either left it untouched from the factory or new what he was doing as far as set ups :bassist:

15. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

Modulus.

I like Flea and the idea of graphite is pretty cool.

16. The Deluxe P5 is killing me. Never played it.

17. I've been "gasing" for a Lefay Herr Schwarz 5 string since I read a review in a bassmag.
    No special reason for this, just this great looking bass that seemed to be exactly what I was looking for.
    After more than one year, I finally had the chance to check it and it turned out to be as great as I imagined....maybe even better.
    Crap is...can't afford it at the moment.:crying:
    This is pretty much the only bass I'm really interested in, otherwise I'm happy with my other basses.

18. I have never gassed for a bass I HAD played....every bass I gassed for I had never laid a hand on....most notably my Modulus. :)

19. A Ric 4001. I've played a 4003 but never a 4001. Also some of these single cutaway customs I keep seeing on this site. Mostly my GAS comes from the amp section though.

20. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

I had major GAS for a Reverend before having ever seen one in person. So I bought one "blind" from a fellow TBer.

Now I have three. :D