1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ever GAS for cheaper gear?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Johnny5, Mar 14, 2008.

1. Johnny5

Johnny5

Mar 5, 2006
    Calgary, Canada
    I love combo amps. I own a Mesa Walkabout Scout 12" and it's by far the best combo I've ever played, and best amp I've ever owned period (stuck with Ampeg for most of my bass playing life). My friends and I recorded some live tracks during an interview at 89.5 FM (University of Toronto radio) and I used the amp they provided, which was either a Yorkville XM100C or XM200C combo. Solid state out of a 15", not even a tube pre - but the sound was ridiculously good (I play a Highway One P with flats). Listening back to the recordings, it sounds different from my current amp, but somehow just as good.
    The price of Yorkville gear is like less than half the price of mine, but to my ears sounds pretty dang close in awesomeness. I can't help but want one now. Anyone else have this kind of thing happen?

2. bassman639

bassman639

Dec 23, 2006
    northeast ,pa
    yorkville ,they're no joke

3. Rob Mancini

Rob Mancini Guest

Feb 26, 2008
    I GAS for cheapo basses, but not amps. Amps are way more important to me than the basses, so I try to get good amps. Doesn't mean you have to spend a fortune on an amp, but a cheap bass + a great amp = great while a great bass + a cheap amp = not so great.

4. deBont Amps

deBont Amps Commercial User

Apr 10, 2007
    Netherlands
    deBont Amps
    I own a EBS TD650 which cost around $1900. Tomorrow, I'm picking up a Markbass LMII. Those are about 700 dollars. Better tone, 'simpler' controls, a quater the weight and more power at 4 ohm. The GAS started about a week ago :).

B.t.w. In my case, the amp is so transparent, that the sound of the bass is very important!

5. I do get GAS for cheaper stuff.

GAS knows no price limit :bawl:

6. waffle puzzle

waffle puzzle space and time coordinator

Aug 22, 2007
    Sacramento, CA
    I went from a Mesa Boogie 400+ to a Markbass LMII, and love the decision.

Being a pedal hound, I love downsizing sometimes for simplicity.

Like that good feeling your house gets after the yearly curbside junk pickup...

7. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    The Yorkville is a surprisingly good amp. I owned (until a few weeks ago) the Walkabout Scout. You're right--it's a great amp. I used it exclusively for 4 years. I sold it because my needs have changed and I don't need all that power. I owned a Yorkville XM200C and it was great. Not quite as refined as the Walkabout but still a very good sound. I only sold it because of the weight, but for $595 Canadian it was a great deal. I also own a Yorkville XM50C which blows away all the other small 1x10 amps in that price range. I recently bought a GK MB150S combo which costs more than twice as much. It's very nice and I love it, but the Yorkville will play almost as loud and only weighs about 5 lbs more.

They make good stuff.

8. Johnny5

Johnny5

Mar 5, 2006
    Calgary, Canada
    Ok, the GAS is seriously starting to build now - I find myself re-reading the manuals I downloaded online and going back to the same product page and reading the same user reviews over and over. I have a bad (but so good) feeling about this.. :rollno:

9. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    Which amp are you thinking of getting and how loud do you need to play? I used the Yorkville XM200 C combo (in 2x10 format) in a small club with a loud guitarist and drummer. It could handle it. A few times I was on the edge. With an extension cabinet you get a lot more volume and bigger bass, but then you're getting into carrying a lot of weight.

I used the XM100 in a practice space with a blues/rock group and it could just handle that, but I wouldn't take it out for a loud gig unless I had serious PA support and the on stage volume from everyone was at a sane level.

The XM50 is a great home practice amp and could be used live on quiet jazz gigs or backing up acoustic guitarists in very small rooms. It has decent XLR output to go direct too.

Traynor is supposed to be coming out with new versions of the XM50C and XM100C under the Dynabass badge. They're supposed to come in at about 18 lbs and 30 lbs respectively, compared to the Yorkville's 30 lbs for the 50 and I don't know what for the 100. But they've been held up since last fall and nobody seems to know when they'll be in the stores. I plan to go into the Burlington store and try them out when they finally make it there.

The Traynor Dynabass 200 combo is apparently available now and according to Reverend Groove, the Long & McQuade credit manager for the Burlington store who is also a working bassist, it's even better than the Yorkville version, and it has handles on each side for easier carrying. The biggest problem I had with the XM200 was carrying it's about 70 lbs. with that one handle on top.

Anyhow, I'm interested on what you decide on, so let us know.

10. Jimmy P.

Jimmy P.

Apr 5, 2005
    Tokyo, Japan
    U. of Toronto 89.5 FM... that must be CIUT, right? I used to listen to that station all the time. Very eclectic radio!

I like my combo (Fender Rumble 65) even though it is not an expensive amp by any means. I find myself using it for practice more than my Peavey head, because I don't like fan noise.

11. ebdogs

ebdogs

Feb 25, 2008
    Plenty of gas here for cheap gear, I am cheap.

12. I gassed hard for a Squier VM fretless jazz. I always swore I would never buy a Squier.

I stepped down from a modified Traynor YBA1 to the behringer bx300 (I think is the model, it's the one that looks exactly like Ashdown's Mag series of heads.) But that was more out of necessity, when the Traynor broke right before a tour.

For the most part it's an upward evolution with amps and cabinets and more lateral with basses.

14. I swapped out a Glockenklang head for a Markbass head and have never been so happy (nothing wrong with the wonderful Glock stuff... just ended up not being the tone in my head, and it weighed a ton). It's always been more about tone than dollars to me, although I've found a relatively high correlation between cost and quality in the bass amplification area.... until the Markbass stuff landed in the US:hyper:

I've also heard few heads that put out the tone and volume of the Carvin B1500.

15. low-endz

low-endz

Dec 18, 2007
    Miami, FL.
    I suffer from chronic qualtity cheap gear Gas syndrome and judging from all the
    essex ( Sx) forums I am not alone in this,

I saving for an avatar 112 Neo and @ its price its cheap in comparo w other brand NEOs

I recently went against my past hate of SQUIER after trying & Buying a Squier Jazz D'lux 5er. I like the vm Squier Jazz too.

Quality Finish @ Cheap Price Rocks

16. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005

18. yes! i am a cheapo. never have the money for real big gear

19. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    I have nothing but praise for the Yorkville amps I own. I have the XM200C, which I plug into a Carvin BR210 extension cab, and a XM50C. 62Bass is right on about that one-it has great tone, punch, and volume for an amp of its size.

As far as basses-I have a stock Peavey Millenium BXP 4 string I got last year, and it sounds really nice-a couple of pro players couldn't believe it was an off the rack 200 dollar bass!

Anyway, if you like the Yorkville gear, I say go for it. My XM200C is going on 3 and a half years of reliable service, the XM50C a year and a half now. They are tough as nails IMHO.

20. K-Funk

K-Funk

Sep 24, 2007
    Auburn Hills, MI
    yeah, I still miss my old, destroyed Mexican P-bass. I put a 1/4 pickup and Badass on it, like most people do, but it was still a neat bass. To be honest, I thought it played way easier than my American, but the MIA still sounds better and is a bit more solid. But I still miss it! the sex machine......... I played a lot of shows with that bass.