1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ever GAS for gear you already own???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by IotaNet, Apr 26, 2006.

1. I had a funny situation happen to me last week that maybe some folks here can relate to.

My instructor was over here on Friday and we were doing some shedding. (He had brought his RBV.) At a point in time, he said, "Let me play your bass for a minute." As a 35-year pro, he proceeded to make my bass sing in ways that I could only imagine. :rolleyes:

The funny thing was, as I looked at him playing it, I was like, "Wow - that bass really sounds (and looks!) great!" My very next thought was, "Fool - it's YOUR bass!!!"

I had to laugh at myself but was reminded that sometimes we get so busy thinking about the NEXT bass that we forget to appreciate the one(s) we already own. :smug:

Just a thought

2. matt"bass"

matt"bass"

Oct 20, 2005
    Hull
    no but when my teacher once played my bass i was like huh, well its got incredible potential, thru a better amp. i then changed teachers coz he was primarily a guitar teacher but very very good bassist. i got a proper bass teacher, and when i realised that my slapping style and technique was better and my bass sounded nice IMO, obviously, but i soon stopped taking lessons with them, he was way too inexperienced for what i want,

3. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Marq played my Sadowsky, and I thought, "Hmm, those could do that?!"

4. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Iota, it sounds to me that what you really want is more chops, not another bass, since your bass sounded so good when your teacher played it. I guess that's true for all us, at least at some level.:help:

5. wdinc01

wdinc01

Nov 19, 2005
    Jacksonville, FL
    Probably my most favourite line that you said out of that whole thing.

"YOU FOOL! I CAN SING LIKE THAT IF YOU TRY!"

But no, I have yet to have this happen to me, since I'm still trying to get lessons. But hey, I can fall in love with my bass again if I get a better amp (I put it through a Fender Rumble 15, though it really sounds better than through the GK Backline 110 that I use for band practice). Oh well, can't wait to call myself a fool!

6. ebe9

ebe9

Feb 26, 2006
    South Africa
    Not happened to me.

Definitely had the "that bass can do that?!" feeling. I think the main thing most bassists suffer from (I know I do) is the "everyone else of a decent playing level sounds better than me", just general lack of confidence in my playing abilities.

(Ducks off to practice more)

7. Hyde

Hyde

Mar 30, 2006
    I've never really had GAS for a bass I already owned, but I came very close to buying another Aguilar S410 cab after I realized how much I love mine..

8. Yes and no.

We all want better chops -- and Lord knows I need 'em -- that's why I have an instructor.

The other thing is that usually, I only see my bass on a stand, not being played. Just sitting there, it can sometimes look a little "chubby." (It's a Yamaha BB -- they're plump like that.) Seeing it played by someone, it looked a whole lot more sleek and as it happened, the sunlight to hit the wineburst finish just so.

I hadn't realized (or maybe I'd just fogotten) just how pretty it is.

9. If you cant be,
    with the bass you love,
    love the bass your with.
    dodo-do-do dodo-do-do-
    do do do! do do do!

Honestly, I very rarely let anyone handle my woman, I mean bass. I just wish I could have my bass, but in less beat condition. But I feel that way about my self these days.

10. StringsOf4

StringsOf4

Dec 16, 2005
    Kinda...
    I already have a P-bass but I want another one. I don't really think thats what you meant, but I do love P's all of a sudden.
    I say all of a sudden because I thought I wanted to buy a jazz bass but then after I played one and listened to all my fave records which were all recorded with P's I was like, "Dang, I really do love my bass". I'm gasing for some parts for my bass like a bridge cover and maybe new tuners so I have gas for that version of my bass.

11. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    I was laughing my ass off when I saw this. I'm the same way, no matter the ability of the person playing her. I just get so jealous of the fun they're having.

12. Hey Makisupa Police man,
    Police man came to my house...:D

But I just had a similar experience. I was throwing a bit of a party at my place last weekend, where my guitarist and I (no drummer) were going to set up, play a set, then chill with friends. We set up on my back porch, and while I was making my phone calls to get people over, my guitarist was playing my new Cirrus. He sucks at bass (at least at slapping, and thats what he always tries to do), but it still sang. The tone was so beautiful, I wanted to cry...:crying: ..................:D

I find that I am appreceating this new Cirrus was more than my first bass, a BTB. I'm not even thinking about my next bass I'm loving this so much. I know the next will be a fretless, but I've got alot of time until I even start considering what that will be.

13. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Commercial User

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder/Owner: Wing Instruments
    I had a Zon Vinny built for me and then foolishly sold it. Then I began gassing for one, so I bought it back. It will never leave my clammy hands again.

14. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Yeah, I'm really jonesing for a DB 750.

15. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

Everytime I go into a Guitar Center or Sam Ash it only makes me further appreciate what quality basses I am blessed to own.

16. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    I often see instruments I already own and think to myself "I want that".

I dreamed and obsessed about a StringRay5 for a year before I actually got one. I mean the full deal, reading the reviews over and over, pictures posted on my walls, driving my girlfriend (now wife) nuts. I still remember the first night when I got it, I woke up at 2am, turned on the light and just stared at it for 15 minutes. Everytime I see a nice StingRay (especially the 5's), I think, I want that even though it's not my main bass anymore! Same with most of the other gear I own, especially the Dingwalls.

I am the same with my favorite albums. I'll go into record stores and check to see if they have copies of my favorite albums. I'm always somewhat disappointed when they don't.

17. barthanatos

barthanatos Insert witty comment here

Feb 8, 2006
    South Carolina
    Does it count if I want another 8x10 cabinet?

18. Daytona955i

Daytona955i

Feb 17, 2005
    Albany, NY
    Almost. I sold my Ibanez and then wanted it back when I heard someone else play it, I didn't know it sounded so different farther away from it.

He was even using my amp!

19. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Commercial User

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder/Owner: Wing Instruments
    +1 - I only go to a GC in an 'emergency' situation or to kill time. All the basses are usually beat on.

20. "I went on vacation last month and when I checked into the hotel, the bellhop said, 'Would you like me to handle your bag?' I told him, 'Handle my Bag?? Hey --keep your hands off my wife!'"

- Rodney Dangerfield (RIP)