ever get a really nice compliment?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Chad Michael, Oct 12, 2002.

1. our drummer says, one night after many drinks, "you're a smokin' bass player! i haven't worked with such a good bassist for 15 years"

a drummer friend who sits in with us and is one of the best i've ever worked with says, "dude!!! you got the funk down, you make me wish i was a bass player who could do that!!!!"

one of the best guitarists i have ever met, stated "the ultimate band in town would include (yours truly)"

i appreciate it, but i just don't see it.

i make mistakes here and there, i don't improvise much at all, i'm not half the bassist i should be, i'm about as far from being a vitruoso as one can get.

i just love to play 'to compliment the whole sound' of the live gig.

maybe i just don't know how to take a compliment.

i hope other bass players, who actually deserve the recognition, get compliments.

2. we play bass..

of course we dont get compliments...

JP man, you must be fairly good to get compliments like that! :D
  3. pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    I have had a lot of people compliment me on my sound, especially since I have been using my Lakland Skyline 90% of the time.... they don't specifically compliment my playing, but then again they don't say I suck.... :D

4. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
  5. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I'm one of those people who hate compliments! I always get "Oh your such a great bass player" kinda crap. Where I'm no where near the level I consider good. I'm terrible at best. I can play some fast flea esque slap and this makes me good? So my roommate and her boyfriend were like telling everyone I was good and now this bassist that is better than me wants to get slap lessons from me! ERRRGGGH... and my roommate and her boyfriend are guitarists, and I've said it before and I'll say it again, "It don't take much to fool a guitarist"
  6. mans0n

Jun 15, 2002
    i sorta dislike compliments

.....im not so great but ppl say

"wow i respect how good you can play, and that youve had no teaching. it makes me wish i had done the same" where i sit thinking ......uhhhh im not that good! plz dont put me on the spot

id rather be complimented on my good looks =) haha
  7. it doesnt take much to impress non-musical people(or 14 year old wannabes). i was in a music store trying out some basses and the first thing that i play was 'ball tongue' by korn, and a few people thought i was amazing for it.

ego boosts are great.
  8. ever get a really nice compliment?

meh compliments are overrated:D
  9. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I was told by a bass legend who knew Jaco
    that I was the next Jaco.
  10. BassistJ

Mar 20, 2001
    Hemet, CA USA
    ...actually, for the past couple months at shows I've been getting people coming up and telling me they "worship" me as a bass player.

Not bad for a former jazz snob doing a bad Geddy Lee/Billy Sheehan impersonation. :rolleyes:
  11. After about 2 years of playing, I've had two compliments. From my aunt.

She doesn't play any instruments, she didnt say I was good, but I played her a lil' flick, and she thought it was great :)(my own line)

yep. Compliments make me wanna try harder. I don't take them as the fact that I'm a god.. :p

Just imagine if JT walks into a store.. Starts going nuts...

"WHERE'S THE 7'S?!! Ahh! My precious... <plays>" etc etc :p:rolleyes: :D
  12. Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    I got the best one of all time a little over a year ago. But it wasn't bass related.

For anybody that hasn't read my prior posts, I am a paramedic. I interfere with natural selection for a living.

Not long after 9-11, I had walked my daughter to her class in the morning after working a 12-hour night shift at the hospital.

Two of her classmates saw my odd clothes and asked Miranda what her Daddy did for a living.

Her reply?

"He's a hero."

Of course in a few years she'll be fourteen and then I'll be an idiot.
  13. Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    My best musical compliment was, after jamming with someone whose CD I had bought shortly before, when he asked if I had any CD's HE could buy.
  14. Bard2dbone, I LOVE your sig. :)

As for compliments, I've got some work to do on my playing.
  15. A few compliments from local musicians. It's always good to recieve feedback. Just makes me wanna learn something new on top of what I know / just did.

On a side note, have you ever recieved a compliment from another bassist...and you've seen them rip and tear and throw down amazingly? That feels good.
  16. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I've never understood the whole "No one ever notices the bass player, or compliments the bass player" sthick I've heard around here. I usually get compliments at about every gig from either musicians or non-musicians.

Man, I feel like a stuck up, conceited bastard there. :D

Seriously though, I'm not bragging, I'm just saying, I don't understand that whole thing about bass players never getting noticed, because I always seem to get noticed.
  17. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I get alot of compliments at gigs too, but thats mainly cause I usually organize the songs we play, and I play in the foreground...well...the midground.
  18. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Oh this was funny, I was playing for my uncle's Southern Rock band, and I was dressed a bit funny. I had a shirt on that had a bull and a mantador smoking up together, a skaish hat, and pajama pants with chili peppers on them and two black wristbands. I also stand still a lot of the gigs. But I was tearin' it up on a few songs and some guy called me, "A punk rock John Entwhistle." :) A compliment, and a funny one at that.
  19. my favorite compliments come when people don't know they're complimenting me, because it seems more sincere. my guitarist and i were listening to the mixdown of one of the songs we recorded, and one of his friends stopped by and listened for a while. the first thing he said to us was "i really like the bass part." that was a warm fuzzy moment.
  20. Sometimes I think i get compliments because people feal sorry for me :D :) :p