Ever get ahold of too much money?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Stanley Design, Jan 4, 2006.

1. I know there's not really such thing as too much, but I'm a poor kid, and usually don't have a lot of money. Over the years of buying and selling and saving, I've come to the point where I now have $2000 and absolutely no gear.

I had originally planned on getting a taylor 314ce L7 acoustic guitar so I could focus on my solo music and push myself to be a better musician on my own, I love the feel and sound of it, it makes me want to play every day and no other guitar can compare. My plan would then be that I would then get an SX, upgrade it with some parts I have, and then start working on the right amp for myself.

My dillema is that wow, $2000 is a lot of money. For that amount of money, I could buy a brand new G&L L2000 and still have $1000 dollars for an amp of my choice (the store I work at is going out of business and I can get a good deal), the thing with that is, I don't have a band at the moment, so I might not use it as much as the other option.

Maybe I shouldn't buy anything? I could invest the money, or save it, or go on a trip. I don't really feel like this is the best option, but I really haven't dealt with this kinda cash before. What do you people think?
  2. BassChuck

Nov 15, 2005
    If you're gonna drop all that coin on your music gear, you might want to think for a while about getting some kind of recording device so you can listen to what you're playing.

At first it sounds a little silly. But, at least for me, when I'm playing I invest a good amount of mental energy just getting the notes out. When I listen to a recording of myself, ALL my mental energy is going into listening and I find I hear a lot of things that I really didn't notice as I was playing.... like finger noise, being a bit late or early to a note, letting notes ring on longer than they should etc etc.

Good luck. Enjoy this moment of options.
  3. I was actually planning on getting a Cowon A2 pmp, it has BBE sound working with them so the sound quality is great, and it records straight to mp3. I'm not really into recording and editing, so I figure that being able to record straight to mp3 in a live setting will A)get me started on the learning, and B)accomplish what I want to record. I know it's better to record to wav. for editing, should I scrap my idea? On top of my 2000, I have almost enough to buy the Cowon.
  4. I would go with and cab/head setup.
  5. slapcracklepop

Jun 28, 2005
    Boston, MA
    If you don't have any specific gear that you don't want.. don't spend the money just because you have it to spend..

Put it in the bank until your sure and have made up your mind
  6. DeepCalls2Deep

Jun 25, 2005
    East Texas

The best thing you can do is decide what you REALLY want, and get that.... to many musicians, like myself, have bought things they didnt really want or need, and ended up wasting money.

WAIT FOR IT! :)
  7. Steve Clark

Steve Clark Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
  8. DaftCat

Jul 26, 2004
    Medicine Hat
    Hi Todd,

I am from Charlottetown. Just sayin' hi.
    I've nothing to add to the thread.