Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ever get bored and swap necks?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fourstringdrums, Nov 21, 2003.

1. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    If you have 2 of the same bass that is..

I was bored tonight and I swapped necks on my sterlings. I put the birdseye maple/pao ferro fretless neck on my honeyburst sterling (looks GORGEOUS) and the maple/rosewood fretted neck on the blue fretless sterling I just got.

Both necks fit perfectly and I had no problem setting them up. Actually the fretless had a little plastic shim under the neck, so when I put the fretted neck on, I put the shim on as well, and the action was super high..so I removed it. The fretted neck fits perfect without the shim, and fretless neck doesn't even need it now on the other bass..hmm..

I actually think I prefer the looks of both basses this way. One thing I noticed though is that the (now) fretted bass seems to have a slightly different tone. Its more solid and alittle deeper sounding. Its subtle, but I can tell its there. Must be the difference between ash used on the bass in '96 and ash used in '03.

Which actually brings up a good question..if ever I wanted to sell the (now) fretted bass, do you think it would hurt the resale value to have a newer neck on an older body?