ever get something really cool for really cheap??

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Chad Michael, Aug 30, 2002.

1. once in a while, we find an inexpensive piece of gear that is too cool for words. the music hobby gets a new spice, or twist, that adds flavor to the meal.

i have a couple...

* my roland p330 piano module: new sound for my keyboard rig. the thing sounds so much yummier than my old key sound. $55

* my musicyo "tobias" bass: this thing sounds fat as hell, i'd buy another if it left me. $350

* anvil mixer case: they go for about $300, found one in a secondhand music shop, two busted latches (anvil sent replacements for free). $50

anyone else find something that improved quality of life for "small cheese?"
  2. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    MXL 603s small diaphragm condenser mics. Average price, $75-80 a pop. These things sound GREAT, and are very consistent.
  3. got these a month or so ago, felt kinda guilty about the cab
    Ampeg Classic 4x10 (500W) $125
    Art 4 band Tube parametric EQ $20
  4. Bought an Acoustic folded horn 18" cab (the 301 I think) from a kid that had it hooked up to his stereo system as a subwoofer for $50.

When I opened the cab up, she was loaded with a Cerwin Vega.
  5. what do you mic with the mxl's?

father-to-be? congrats!!!!

our little poop monster is 2 & 1/2 months. luv 'im!!!! baby will change your life in a good way.

6. nice!!!!!!!!!!

pedullaphile? i have the illness but nay pedulla...

7. what are your plans with the sub?
  8. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Thanks. Congrats back atya. People keep telling me I'm gonna love this...I just hope they're all right.

9. Sold the unloaded cabinet 2 years ago.

Reloaded the Cerwin Vega into a standard a newer style 1X18 Acoustic cab (collaborative series). The cab looks like it has a bass drum mounted inside the cab, and the speaker mounts into the round shell, with ports near the four corners. Had to reload it after I blew up the eminence driver she came with.
  10. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

I bought a Boss LS-2 Line Selector for 10 $. The guy was clueless about it.

I acquired a brand new AKAI UB-1 Unibass for 80 $.
  11. well for me they work well (pedullas that is) hence the name.

I have three

Thunderbolt 5
    Fretless Rapture 5 J2

I have played all kids of different basses and keep coming back to those, mostly due to neck shape, it seems perfect for me...............but to each his own

(oh and their tone ain't bad either)
  12. "ain't bad" he says....

they are some of the best ear candy i've heard.
  13. I got ahold of a Mackie 1202 VLZ-Pro for $250, used, around Christmas of 2000. It's still in perfect condition.

I also got a good deal on my Tascam DM-24, as it was a demo at Guitar Center. I had them throw in some mic cables as well. I also got my Event 20/20 monitors there, a few months ago. Again, used, but they're sounding great and I fell like I got a deal on them.

I know one thing though, I've sold some gear online for some pretty good prices. ;) :D
  14. Latest find...

Crown PowerBase 1 - supposedly had one 'blown' channel. Offered $80 bucks, took it home, and the sucker works good!!! Time to put it to work!!!
    (kind of beat up and smells like cigarettes :spit:, but so is the rest of my gear...clubs tend to do that)

Anyone else find a cheap tool lately?
  15. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Hmmm good thread.

Most of my gear hasn't been all that cheap, when you look at it.

My Yamaha P-80 digital piano - £720. For what it is, that is a pretty good price IMHO (the piano sounds are killer) - but still quite a bit of money.

My Roland VS-2480CD - the total cost to me is somewhere around £2100. A lot of money, but considering the RRP is £2999, I reckon I did pretty well :)

I'm looking at buying an AKG C3000B cardioid condeser mic (anyone used one of these? Opinions?). I can get one of these, with cable, boom stand, shock-mount, and 'popper-stopper', all for £209. And the RRP for the mic alone is £238 :eek:
  16. One of our bandmembers has the C2000 - he has recorded several vocal tracks with it. The thing sounds fantastic, he runs it through one of those little "Tube Preamplifiers" for microphones. I've heard that the C3000 is one of the best sounding mics ever for the price.
  17. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Wow! Good stuff, I reckon I might go for it then :)
  18. 2 years ago, I traded a very beat up and very rusty, 1987 Toyota Starlet for a (quite warm to the touch ;) ) Dell Latitude Laptop, PIII 500, 128 MB RAM, 12GB HDD. The external CD Drive is missing, and I shot the battery to hell, but apart from that, it's the best deal I ever made. It's been half-way round the world with me, and I'm using it right now at work. Gotten so used to having it with me everywhere, that I'd be lost without it!

What's this got to do with music gear/recording equipment? Well, I use it as a tuner! (among other things) :p
  19. Johnalex

Jul 20, 2001
    South Carolina
    A Fostex XR-7 Mulitracker
    A Digitech RP-1
    A Boss VT-1 Voice Transformer

Bought it all from my Raping Cousin!

all for $100 :bassist:
  20. Starrchild

Nov 10, 2000
    The Bay.
    $200.00 for a "74"MINT Fender P.