1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ever Get the Gig You Didn't Want?

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by StyleOverShow, Sep 4, 2008.

1. StyleOverShow

StyleOverShow Still Playing After All These Years Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2008
    Hillsdale, Portland
    Auditioned last night with a band of fat 50 year olds (so I fit in).

Talking while we set up, I realized that I played with the guitar player back in 1967 when he was playing bass and I was playing guitar.

The stage was teeming with percussion instruments so you had to be careful where you stepped (physically/rhythmically speaking). A couple of tunes into their set list I had two cowbells going on each side, splitting my head open like a over-ripe watermelon.

For an audition it was pretty easy. We were doing a set list that was at least 30 years old, covers of bands that I declined to play with back in the day.

I guess I got the gig although no one said anything specifically to me. Just the details of the gig on Friday night. I'll play the date but after that, I don't know. I really don't like the style of music and it is so poorly executed (one level fits all), and they discourage improvisation.

Ever get a gig you didn't want?:meh:

2. OliverH

OliverH

Aug 2, 2008
    Yeah, a few years back when I wasn't doing so much musically I put an ad out for a jazz bass player. These guys called me up and I went and auditioned, they were playing rock music which wasn't really what I wanted to do but I figured what the hell I'm not doing anything else.

I ended up being in that band for almost two years and it musically got further and further away from what I wanted to do so eventually I quit. I've also done a few other gigs for various peaple whose music I didn't really like but I figured it was money so I'd do it anyway. I'm getting more and more picky about who I play for, and the minimum amount of money I'll play for is getting higher and higher. What price do you put on your dignity and integrity as an artist? I don't know, but you also have to put dinner on the table so it's a difficult decision to make.

3. JmJ

JmJ

Jan 1, 2008
    NYC
    Wedding band. I just could not bring myself to do it.....

4. Joel S.

Joel S. Reserved for future witty use...

Jul 9, 2008
    ugh... one of the bands I'm in has mentioned playing weddings. I told them hell no, I'd probably quit. I don't play to get paid, screw playing a wedding. At least I can tell drunk idiots with stupid requests to screw off at a bar.

5. I dunno... I think playing weddings are kind of fun.

6. Joel S.

Joel S. Reserved for future witty use...

Jul 9, 2008
    Depends on the wedding... I can imagine what they'd be like in my area.

7. Dave R

Dave R

Sep 21, 2007
    Boise, ID USA
    I like playing weddings.

"CAAANNN you FEEEEELLL the LOOOOOVVVVEEE ToNIIIGGHHHT!"

Seriously, happy people, into the music, makes us sound good. :D

8. Deacon_Blues

Deacon_Blues

Feb 11, 2007
    Finland
    To answer the title: Yes. Last winter a guy from a reggae band I play with from time to time decided to start booking cover gigs with that same band, but without the singer (who was not in Finland at the moment), but with me sharing the lead singing with the guitarist. We got some poorly paid gigs, but honestly speaking, that band is anything but inspiring to me. The gig booker, a keyboardist, sucks at his instrument (and as a gig booker). The guitarist is ok, but still miles behind another really good guitarist I play with. Both are using pretty crappy equipment and doesn't sound very good.

I actually booked a gig (wedding) with this band as well, because the members in the other band were already booked that date. I didn't dare to ask for a good payment, simply because the band doesn't IMO sound good enough to justify a better payment. We still got 50% more cash than on the other gigs we made though... Bad band, poor gig = not inspiring. But a gig is better than no gig from a money perspective, guess that's why I've stood up with it... I just don't like playing in a poor band as it easy labels me as a poor musician as well... :meh:

9. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Yes. I can say that I havent been to that many auditions over the years, but every one that I have been to, they have offered me the job. I guess in my neck of the woods, a half decent bass player is hard to come by.

Anyway, earlier this year I went to play with an all originals band (even wrote a thread about it here somewhere) and they offered me the job on the spot that night we played, then we sat down to talk and I found out they were looking for a record deal (and we were all in our 30's). Talk of quitting jobs and buying vans and I was like, uhh, I dont think so. So they rescinded the job offer almost immediately. LOL