1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ever get to the point you just can't play?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Big Hoss, Oct 4, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Big Hoss

Big Hoss Up note, down note, blue note, brown note...

A little background. We are in Houston Metro area, have family in Florida, Puerto Rico, and just north of Mexico City. To say those that I care about have been hit by the recent natural disasters, and I've been busy is a massive understatement

I finally got some time to myself after mucking out countless homes, and cooking / taking meals to family and friends trying to put their lives back together...

I literally looked at my basses, I even picked my #1 up, plugged it in, but my heart isn't in it. At all. (Okay my mental reaction was a bit more obscene but I will be kind enough to not share my inner monologue).

I know this is a phase, but I just don't feel it right now. I've literally found myself just wanting to chuck it all.

2. Goatrope

Goatrope

Nov 18, 2011
    Sarasota Florida
    Take a break. Lots been happening. This is normal. You’ll get your mojo back, give yourself some time.

MrLenny1, Oddly and DirtDog like this.
  3. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    All of those people who have been affected probably need a little music to brighten their day now more than ever.

Reedt2000 likes this.
  4. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Man, right now things are pretty tough. But if you are helping salvage homes and cooking meals for your fellow man, your heart is spending its energy and love on something much bigger....and more amazing....than bass. Thanks for being you. We need more you on this big rock.

Once the dust settles you will have some passion to spare for music. Until then.....

Well.....yer awesome. :thumbsup:

NigelD and MrLenny1 like this.
  5. Sometimes i think it's productive to take a break. Good employers give their employees paid time off because they know it actually improves production and customer service in the long run. There's been times even within the last year where I didn't touch a bass for two weeks but then I was excited to play again when I did. i live in NC and love that pretty much any weekend I do t have band stuff going on I can go to the beach or the mountains and just chill out, take in the sights and relax

6. T_Bone_TL

T_Bone_TL

Jan 10, 2013
    SW VT
    I find playing (with a group) relaxing and re-centering in its own way. It's a social activity centered around making music together.

Far less so noodling by myself.

But yeah, if it's not working for you right now, time to do something else. I simply recommend that it it extends to the point that you are tempted to get rid of it all, you set one bass and rig aside just in case you start to feel it again.

7. RE: chucking it all

Having been there & done that, I can tell you it's a bad idea.

I look at photos of my old rig & lament that I sold it off piece by piece.

If you really aren't feeling it, just put your gear on ice for a while.

Conversely though, I actually feel better during & after playing some, even if I didn't feel like it initially.

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 5, 2020