Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ever get your parents into music?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Matt Till, Jan 10, 2004.

1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    My dad always got me into music as a kid, if it wasn't for my dad, god knows what garbage I'd be listening to now (I use to dig country and Mc Hammer...) so once I was on the right path, I've never turned back. I mean, my musical tastes have definatly diversified. So in turn, I've got my dad into bands... he mostly digs Southern Rock stuff, but he can dig hard rock and some metal.

Recently thought I've got him into Suicidal Tendancies, Voivod, Opeth, Reverend Horton Heat (He loves the Rev now), and Fates Warning. This is just recently though, it just feels good to get him into great bands where he has got me into great bands.

Similar Stories?

2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    yeah...my dad is almost 60, and he loves VH almost as much as i do.....the song that made him a VH fan? Runaround, then Poundcake....then i introduced him to OU812....my mom keeps her distance, but is respectful....we are gonna play a Nancy Sinatra song for her soon...hehehe

-Mike

3. My dad got me started on Lynyrd Skynyrd and Led Zeppelin when I was about 12, and in turn I recently got him into Metallica and Maiden! So he comes to all our gigs now and moshes with the best of 'em! :D

4. ChildoftheKorn

ChildoftheKorn

May 21, 2003
    IL
    yesterday while going for lessons i had my primus -suck on this so i we get there (me and my grandpa)and i get out and leave the cd on when its oer i hop in the van and realize my primus is still going...hmm i thought that was weird and were driving and it goes " who are these guys? These cats got some groove!" and i died laughing as my grandpa 70 years old started singing (or trying to heh) Tommy the cat.

5. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    My dad is the most non musical person I know. I don't think he has ever owned an album or tape of any music, ever. Funny thing is, he's a wiz with electronics and built me my first distortion pedal using a sewing machine pedal.
    As far as my son goes, I got him into music early on. Now he turns me on to stuff he's into. It's a pretty cool situation.

6. Stephen S

Stephen S Member

Apr 10, 2002
    San Bernardino, CA
    I sometimes think my dad could be the reason I have good time. Before he cleaned up he we used to watch movies together and he would always be tapping his foot, and I would mock him and try it keep it steady, and it turned into a habit. That was when I was like 8, anyway, he gave me a Led Zep box set when I first started playing bass and if it wasn't for that I probably would have played KoRn and Sex Pistols for life. I have got him into plenty of music, I'm always making him mix CDs. The most recent band I got him into is Mushroomhead.

7. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    My dad is big into soul and funk (he was in a soul band in the 60s). As a result, I'm kind of leaning that way too.

8. My Dad got me interested in the majority of the music I listen to now, but in return I've got him listening to jazz, he really likes Kind of Blue :)

9. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I accidentally got my mom in Rob Zombie, Godsmack, and Flogging Molly. Funny, because I don't really care for either of the former (Flogging Molly rules, however).

10. I got my Dad into The Mars Volta, Parliament, and Tool. He got me into Alice Cooper, Yes, and Rush.

11. Prahainspring

Prahainspring

Oct 22, 2002
    New Jersey
    My father passed away when I was seven but he got my mom into Led Zep and when I first started playing my bass (6th grade) my mom gave me all the CD's and simply said, "learn these". Thats basically how I learned how to play bass (I went to lessons in 8th grade). During the 90s I was into Rage Against the Machine and I played it an awful lot (thats the second most recent band I like) and I never knew that she bought the first CD and Battle of LA. I thought that it would be funny seeing my mom at a red light listen to Rage and hearing "**** you! I wont do what you tell me!" :D

12. yoshi

yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    I started teaching my dad Bass last saturday. I'm slowly introducing hand position on the neck etc with a major scale. Good progress so far altough I keep shouting 'Move that thumb!' at him (it keeps drifing over the top, I can't play like that so can't teach it either).

13. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    My dad got me into Black Sabbath.... ya. I can't seem to get him into anything... I tried to get him into Stoke since they have an AC/DCesque vibe, but that failed... primus failed... korn failed... metallica failed, for the most part... fleck tones failed... gah.

14. my dad got me into metallica and ac/dc...nirvana too.

15. My dad got me into AC/DC when I was like 5. I really haven't managed to get him into anything cept Primus a little bit. I've gotten my mom into Lord Only and RHCP and she's gotten me into Elton John and Warpipes and Boston.

16. I actually got my mom into AFI and Dark Side Cowboys! I never liked him, but my dad used to like Marilyn Manson, but that fell through.

17. appler

appler Guest

I got my dad into Disturbed somehow. Their second album, anyway.

18. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics
    I got my mom into Sigur Ros and Mum. She got me into Enya and Marvin Gaye. My dad got me into The Wailers, Frankie Smith, James Brown, general old reggae and funk. I have yet to get him into anything I listen to, but there's time.

19. Not really, but I did get my parents off my case about listening to the music I do by showing them lyrics to some of the songs (very highly selected, of course)

Rock on
    Eric

20. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    My dad got me into Bob Dylan and Van Morrison from an early age. We share an appreciation for the Beatles, and early Rolling Stones and Bruce Springsteen. I haven't really gotten him into any music, though he likes the Solomon Burke album I got and seemed to like Rancid's "Life Won't Wait". He's more of a bluegrass/appalachia fan now though.

I got my mom into Ted Leo and the Pharmicists and Bad Manners.