1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ever had a bass or amp stolen?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Skel, Apr 8, 2006.

1. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    I was just reading a book on the Rolling Stones, and one part mentioned a time back in the 70's when something like 15 of their guitars (probably all of the ones they had on tour) were stolen. I used to hear about this a lot. Have any of you ever had a bass, amp, effect - anything stolen? If so, did you ever get it back?

Skel

2. instigata

instigata

Feb 24, 2006
    New Jersey
    my friend (drummer in another local band) just had his 300 dollar crash cymbal and stand (100 bucks) stolen at a small high school gig at a firehouse.

of course things get stolen.

3. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    I havn't had anything stolen, in which I'm a bit suprised - I leave either one of my basses or my guitar in the orchestra room at school throughout the week.

4. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

My red Washburn Axxess bass (my first 5-string and also my first active bass) was stolen after nine years of having it. Also a Peavey Mark IV head (my first amp) was stolen from my band's rehearsal place. Never got them back.

5. Robert B

Robert B Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2000
    Hampton, Va USA
    Had both stolen back around '70 out of our practice space in Chicago. A Telecaster bass less than 6 months old and a Soundcity 50 watt bass amp w/4 12's. I recovered the amp because Sound City's were few and far between but never saw the bass again. Everytime I see a '68 or '69 on ebay or the net I wonder if it might be it.

6. I once auditioned for a band - their FULL van was nicked...:crying:

Poor sods - Guitars, bassses, keyboards, drumkit, amps, FX...the lot! They had to borrow the money off their parents simply so they could get gigging again

7. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005
    If somebody ever steals my bass, i will hunt them down...and.....:ninja:

8. woody357

woody357 Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2005
    I had a Fender P that I got in the 70s It was stolen when I was living in Tx. That really hurt I had did some work on it I took out the pickups and put in Hi A changed the bridge, I had to rout out the bass to put in a badass bridge the orig one not the badass2 that was a bad bass. Someone got themselves a really good bass.

9. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    Where did it get stolen from?

10. woody357

woody357 Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2005
    My car

11. Jason Carota

Jason Carota

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    I had an Epifani T-112 stolen about three years ago. Never ended up finding it.

12. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    The whole band I was playing with had everything stolen that was in the trailer in San Antonio. My stuff consisted of a USA Spector, 2 NS-2A's a Jackson Concert bass, Ampeg SVT head, 2 Ampeg 4x10 cabs, an Art Nightbass processor, Nady two-channel wireless system and various cords and other things. I was so distraught, I didn't play after that for nearly 10 years.

13. ahaTFJ

ahaTFJ Guest

Apr 2, 2006
    Chicago
    No, fortunately.

14. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    Full disclosure, I'm a certified Fender technician working in a music store that carries Fender, Yamaha, and Ibanez products among others.
    Mr car was broken into in 1995 and they made off with a '90 SR800, a Hartke 3500 head, an Ibanez roadstar guitar, and a Crate that was so old it was actually built in a crate. I understand the last is now a collector's item.

I, too, had to borrow money from my folks just to get gigging again, and I still miss that bass. Hey, at least they left the '70s Fender 2x15.

Filed a police report, etc, but nothing ever came of it, and probably never will. I still miss that bass, and I hope it found its way into someone's hands who really needed a good starter instrument, rather than rotting away in their closet.

15. King V

King V Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    I had a Genz Benz 1 x 15" stolen back in 2000 out of my drummer's van 1 week after I got it! :mad:

16. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Yep ... it was my first bass and amp. A '65 P-bass and a Bassman 50 head with 212 enclosure of the same vintage. Somebody broke into our practice space and stole all that plus my PA. I didn't really like either the bass or the amp but, considering they'd be worth some ungodly thousands of dollars now, I'd still like to have 'em.

17. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    I've had three stolen from me.
    A pre CBS (I believe) Precision, I bought it around 1970 and it was old then; no internet at the time (early 80s), so no way to date it. I'd love to have that one back. The ba$tard probably traded it for a crack rock.
    A 1975 Rickenbacker 4001 (bought new). Someone broke into my house and stole it on a Thursday, I bought a new 1983 Precision on the following Saturday, some @$$hole stole that one on the folllowing Tuesday. I have since moved.

18. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
  19. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    The guitarist in my band had his PRS guitars stolen out of his unlocked truck just before a gig as we were bringing our gear into the bar. He'll never leave his car unlocked again...