1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ever had a sudden realization about a musician that made you appreciate them more?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Hamlet7768, Dec 11, 2011.

1. Hamlet7768

Hamlet7768 Here to chew gum and rock. Still have gum.

Jun 5, 2011
    I had one just now: I love the Beatles, but never really got why Paul was considered such an influential bassist, especially when I could hardly hear any of his basslines. I then listened to YouTube uploads of some classic Beatles songs in the 2009 stereo remasters, and suddenly the bass JUMPED out at me.

Anybody had a similarly sudden "moment of clarity" about a musician, not even necessarily a bassist?

2. I watched an episode of Classic Albums on VH1 Classic last year on The Who: Who's Next. I knew Keith Moon was an animal, but when they isolated his drum tracks and explained how he would fill more whenever there were vocals I suddenly realized what an amazing drummer he was.

Someone pointed out to me a few years ago about how much they loved Ian Paice (Deep Purple drummer) so I started concentrating on his drumming. It's incredible.

3. otherclef

otherclef

Aug 10, 2011
    Charleston
    he is one of the instructional videos that my drummer has... Ian is incredible!!!

4. I never liked U2, until I listened to Joshua Tree on vinyl. Now I love that album and the rest of them are okay too.

lowsound

5. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    Yes, John Prine. I have a friend from Kentucky who lived near the county where John wrote a song (Paradise) and told me how great he was.I knew his song Illegal smile and thought he was an old Hippy singer and used to laugh at my friend and told him he was wasting his money when John came to our city to perform in the late 90's.

Years later I started going back on folk music and tracing allot of my musical roots thru the folk,country music I was rasied on. I came across John's music and am now a huge fan. I called my old friend and told him I was sorry for being blind/deaf and he was nice about it enough to send me a few copies of John's CD's. I hope to see John perform before its to late, he's getting up there you know.

6. Stanley Pugh

Stanley Pugh

Jun 14, 2008
    If you know anyone with old mono vinyl and a good old record player or console stereo it sounds awesome! ;)

7. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    John Scofield. I have absolutely no idea what the hell that guy is doing.

8. bassinplace

bassinplace

Dec 1, 2008
    One band that springs to mind is Tool. Danny Carey is amazing. My girlfriend at the time was way into them ("Sober" era) and listening to the album I thought, meh, yet another "alternative rock" band. Then I bought her tickets to go see them and was my mind changed in a big hurry. I was an instant convert. Then they lost me again in the Lateralus era, but I'll always love everything they did up to Aenima.