1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ever had an amp that failed you? Why I am anti-crate.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TUEP, Sep 27, 2009.

1. TUEP

TUEP

Apr 8, 2007
    I went through two Crate BFX 100's back in the day. Very noisy in a bad way. I never pushed them as hard as I have the, Hartke 65 watt combo, Ampeg B100R, Laney Linebacker 100, or the GK Backline 200. Yet the Crates were noisey and fuzzy and sounded bad compared to the others. I have to say I am anti-Crate I noticed now they make no bass amps.

2. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    "Crate" is a brand now owned by Loud Technologies. Since they have Ampeg for bass, why would they keep another low end bass line?

Particularly since GC and others are now sourcing their own house brands.

3. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    "Back in the day" Crate made lots of bass amps. But then, as now, it's never been anything more than budget entry level gear.

4. shoot-r

shoot-r

May 26, 2007
    Illinois
    Anyone whose honest about it and has played for a number of years... especially in a working band... has had equipment problems of some kind.
    Sunn and Ampeg heads gave me fits, and I've blown my fair share of JBL's also!

5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I thought Crate was the high end of Ampeg.

6. NortyFiner

NortyFiner Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    Portsmouth VA USA
    I've owned a few different Crate combos over the years, and always been disappointed with them. Wouldn't recommend the brand to anyone...

7. meatwad

meatwad

Apr 9, 2008
    Smallville, USA
    I've heard by more than one old-school amp tech that after SLM acquired Ampeg, it just became a "glorified" Crate amp. I've always preferred SLM-era Ampeg stuff, and considered some Crate bass stuff to be decent, that sounded pretty good until you really cranked it. The result would end up as cardboard farts, especially the 2x15 cab. The Crate 4x10 cabs were pretty good I thought...

But, I was a young teen that grew up in an area where all the rage was Ibanez, Crate, and Boss. Wasn't long until that turned into Fender, Ampeg, and boutique pedals. These days, it seems it's gotta be something vintage or Markbass.