1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ever had someone insult your band in front of you?

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Ubersheist, May 31, 2017.

1. A guitarist friend just posted on Facebook a story. Here's what he posted:

It reminded me of a conversation I heard years ago. I was loading gear into a house for a party when I heard one guy say something like "Hey, what's the band like?" The other guy "I heard that they're OK on the record, but crappy live."

Crud. :bawl: Funny now, though.

What's your moment like that?

GregC, tekhedd and McG like this.
  2. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member

My mom came to a gig once where I was increasing the amount of lead singing I was taking on. After a set she told me my voice reminded her of Bob Dylan.

Thanks, Mom.

Spectrum, richntiff, Bobro and 26 others like this.
  3. MoeTown1986

MoeTown1986 Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2010
    SoMD (Mechanicsville)
    We played a gig Sunday on a beach at an outdoor tiki bar in Virginia. We are from Maryland right across the river. When we finished playing the house DJ said "everyone give it up for the band for playing my setlist. Now take your asses back to SoMD. We don't want you here." The bar manager got into it hard with him because roughly 100 people came over the bridge to see us and the 400 or so that were there loved us. They drank and danced ALL night. Guess the DJ was just bitter.

Spectrum, Mr_Moo, Gearhead17 and 13 others like this.
  4. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    DJ with a "setlist". :roflmao:

I was sitting at the bar at Captain Joe's in South Hill Virginia sometime around '89. I was a teenager and the rest of the band was made up of thirty somethings. One woman says to the other..... "What kind of band is playing tonight?" The other one answered "When you see them, give them a chance. They sound amazing even though most of them look like they drive minivans."

(I had long hair and was 17 years old. She wasn't talking about me. ;))

To this day that could be part of the reason for my aversion to minivans. :D

Spectrum, Mr_Moo, nixdad and 18 others like this.
  5. MoeTown1986

Sep 14, 2010
    SoMD (Mechanicsville)
    Hahahhaa that's funny!!!

nixdad, shadven and two fingers like this.
  6. TedH

TedH

Dec 6, 2014
    Westchester, NY
    I LOVE this! That'd be me (station wagon for the record; keeping it 70's old skool).

nixdad, andruca, Joe Ty and 4 others like this.
  7. McG

McG Goat Hill Gamblers

Oct 6, 2010
    Costa Mesa, CA
    I was insulted once before even playing.

We were loading in for a coffee house gig. A couple at a front row table was giving us the evil eye. Then the man said in a fairly loud voice, "Oh, it's a ROCK band". They immediately got up and left. Apparently the fact that three of us had long hair made us evil rockers. We were a folk/Americana roots band with a flute, lap steel, mandolin, 12 string guitar and bass with no drums , far from rock. Fortunately the rest of the full house stayed and enjoyed the music.

Spectrum, Bobro, dbase and 10 others like this.
  8. come on! Minivans make great band vehicles.

The_Black_Keys_El_Camino_Album_Cover.jpg

Last edited: Jun 1, 2017
  9. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Springtown, Texas
    Even the great @BassCliff drives a minivan. They are great band vehicles.

bassbully, nixdad, s0c9 and 4 others like this.
  10. Biggbass

Biggbass

Dec 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    Two old guys came up to me one night while I was setting up and one asked me if I as the tuba player. I said "no". He said, "how are you guys gonna play polka without a tuba?"
    I told him we didn't play any polka. He said,''Hmmmph". Then the other one asked me if we were going to play any George Strait. I said, no". They both went, "hmmmph" again and walked away.
    That's about the worst of it. lol

rohi, Bobro, Mr_Moo and 12 others like this.
  11. you must live in Wisconsin - polka capital of the states...

12. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi guys,

That's funny! My youngest daughter is almost 18 now and loves the classic rock from the late 60's through early 80's. Even when she was five years old she did the cutest Bob Dylan impersonation you'd ever want to hear. It was hilarious!

Wow! What a jerk. What justifies the ego of some of these DJs? It's usually the other way around with us. We give our setlist to the DJ so that they don't play any of OUR songs. Bands may only have a couple hundred tunes to choose from but a good DJ should have thousands. Some people's kids. I tell ya. :rollno:

I'm sure I look like I drive a minivan. Nothing wrong with a minivan. Well, there are a couple that I wouldn't drive. ;)

Um, I don't think I would drive a Dodge Caravan, but the Chevy Astro van is the bomb! :)

Indeed.

I'd like to see George Strait play a tuba, while doing a polka.

There have been many times when my band would be loading in all its gear, four or five amps, a full PA, cases of instruments, etc, and invariably we would be approached by someone who would ask, "You're not going to be too loud, are you?" I guess we just "looked" loud, even before we plugged anything in. :p

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Spectrum, Bobro, Mr_Moo and 8 others like this.
  13. MoeTown1986

Sep 14, 2010
    SoMD (Mechanicsville)
    Yeah, @BassCliff we even GAVE him our set list. Which is currently about 350 songs. But, we highlighted around 50 that we'd likely play. He still got bitter.

nixdad, bassestkkm, McG and 1 other person like this.
  14. MCS4

MCS4 Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2012
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Clearly he thought you were highlighting the songs you wanted him to play.

nixdad, Booty Shaman and s0c9 like this.
  15. MoeTown1986

Sep 14, 2010
    SoMD (Mechanicsville)
    Hahha I don't think he was hitting that bottle THAT hard.

BassmanMetzger56 likes this.
  16. AngelCrusher

AngelCrusher

Sep 12, 2004
    Mesa Boogie, Tech 21, Taylor
    Try doing national tours. It is amazing what people will throw at you. The worst being CDs. You can't see those things coming.

17. Biggbass

Biggbass

Dec 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    We used to play a restaurant/club gig on a marina where the owner was a grumpy old guy
    who loved bebop but hated everything else. He was always yelling at us to turn it down even when our PA was on 1.
    So at our last gig there about 6 yrs ago I was the first to show up and walked in with two
    JBL 12" wedges and sat them down on the dance floor close to the band stand. The guy walks up to me and says, in a loud, angered voice, "Jesus! How many speakers are you guys bringing?!". Now, just to recap, I was the first to arrive and had just sat down two 12"
    wedges, the only gear brought in at this point. I looked up at him and in a voice similar to the one he'd just used on me stated, "ALL OF THEM!".
    In our first set he kept yelling to turn it down or he would cut the power. So, having had enough of this guy and his venue, I asked the audience, who seemed to be enjoying our set,
    "Hey everyone, the owner here wants us to turn down, what do YOU say?" They all yelled
    TURN IT UP! So I turned to the band and told them this was the last time I was playing here and F&*K this guy, we're cranking it up to where we can at least get some tone from our amps. Well, the guy didn't pull the power...we had the place packed and the dance floor full. And we had a good gig and left, intending never to return.
    A month later, on a Friday evening, I got a call from the guy asking if we could play that same night. It was around 7pm and he didn't have a band. I declined the invite and we've never returned. I simply refuse to work for jerks.

Spectrum, Bobro, Mr_Moo and 17 others like this.
  18. Bodeanly

Bodeanly

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    One time, some dude told me that I was too pretty to be in a metal band. I wasn't in a metal band. Still scratching my head over that one.

Bobro, Mr_Moo, grinx and 13 others like this.
  19. Yes. So we threw oranges at their car.

20. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Fusion Cats Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    New band, our first gig. Singer had a very deep voice. We recorded the gig from one of the tables in the back, and picked up this bit of conversation.
    (girl) Is the singer good? I *think* he's good but his voice is too deep to tell!"

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 22, 2021