1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ever had someone insult your band in front of you?

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Ubersheist, May 31, 2017.

1. Smooth Hermans Cabaret was THE place to get into in these parts at one time. April Wine, Jeff Healey, Honeymoon Suite, Helix and a whole cast of other bands played there on their tours, place held about 800 or so. My band played there at different times. One gig we managed to get was a Thursday - $2 drink night and ladies night :D The place was full of college students, Sydney (Nova Scotia, Canada NOT Australia) being home to the local university. The DJ on break was cool and I got to know him fairly well over a few gigs. This night,from the get-go, the crowd wasn't all that into us - a top 40 country and classic rock band. They were more into the dancy-pop stuff the younger crowd seemed to like. We were on break and the DJ was in his booth off the side of the stage. We were having a great chat when three lovely young ladies came up to request a song. "Sorry, he said, The band is back after this one." Two of the three said "Sh*t!" in unison and the third gave a long disgusted sigh. I smiled at the DJ who told them I was the bands bass player. They were apologetic but I knew it wasn't our kind of crowd to begin with. I chalked it up to harm, no fowl. The next night was much better!

Last edited: May 31, 2017
    Mr_Moo, eSmith, Henry Guckes and 3 others like this.
  2. Session1969

Session1969 Supporting Member

Dec 2, 2010
    Upsetting the DJ ? Music to my ears.

Leiria, McG, TjMetalhead and 2 others like this.
  3. tb4sbp

tb4sbp

May 9, 2017
    North East
    My brother and I plus his then girl friend were living in Ireland in the early '80s. We were approached to help out by playing at a fund raiser (remember all the '*-aid' concerts back then?). This was not a big concert just a local small town thing. We got a local drummer who was very good and learned off five or so songs to play. We were playing with a bunch of well know country, traditional and other rock bands so we were to go on early as a filler. Nope, 2nd to last and the crowd did not want us. "Foreigners", "American (input derogatory word here)" and so on. Boo's galore and if it were not for the Irish loving their beer so much, bottles would have been thrown. And we had not even started playing yet! Luckily we rallied the crowd into our favor with a drum solo, a small bass solo from me and a huge lead solo from my brother. At that time no one had seen two hand tapping. Usually it goes the other way around. Cheers at first then boo's (kidding).

Mr_Moo, GregC and McG like this.
  4. DavC

DavC

May 17, 2005
    Tallmadge , Ohio
    it takes a long time to happily ignore ignorant folks ... !! glad i'm old

Ghook, Nev375 and AcadianBassman like this.
  5. PauFerro

PauFerro

Jun 8, 2008
    United States
    I was rehearsing in the top floor of my house. It was street level, and my neighbor walked by and said "Don't quit your day job!".

I thought we sounded OK, though, and when we performed a member of a former blues band I played in for four years said he thought we played really well. I think my neighbor just didn't know good jazz when he heard it.

Mr_Moo, Henry Guckes and McG like this.
  6. Abominable_Bass

Abominable_Bass

Apr 28, 2017
    Played the Dirty Dog in Austin TX. We play our set (we are the touring act) and when we leave the stage the next band (local, anvil meets judas priest metal, outfits to match) is taking the stage.
    The vocalist walks up to me and says " I don't know what you guys were doing up there, but it looked like you were having a good time". I just said thanks and walked away. I think he though he was being funny because he would say stupid one liner jokes and puns between songs, but made jokes at my bands expense several times.
    again maybe I took it the wrong way, it was day 11 of tour and I can't say I had the best sleep or a shower in a couple days...

McG and Jimmy4string like this.
  7. A reasonably popular local creator of online content once called us "terrible" on his blog. No description, no context, just "terrible." It was a big gig with a national headliner, and admittedly the set didn't go as well as our level of prep warranted, but as our own biggest critics, we didn't think we were terrible... That time. ;)

I wouldn't have minded the insult at all if he had gone into it a bit of detail about how we sucked. There were any number of things he could have said that I would have agreed with, but I found the act of lobbin' bombs from a bully pulpit to be classless and therefore irritating. The nice bit was that a fan of his and ours posted in our defense in the comments, and no one else seemed to care either way.

8. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

To me, a DJ is just a guy with turntables for when you can't afford a real band.

SO THERE.

9. My mum once told me my singing reminded her of my dad's singing.

I asked was that good?

She replied, well, it was good when no one else was there to sing.

GregC, s0c9 and jchrisk1 like this.
  10. wmhill

wmhill

Aug 20, 2012
    upstate NY
    MTD basses endorsed artist Bartolini pickups emerging artist TECAMP bass players gear endorsed
    Not today at least....

Spectrum and Rabidhamster like this.
  11. GretschWretch

GretschWretch Supporting Member

Dec 27, 2013
    East Central Alabama
    Which bridge? The Wilson bridge near Alexandria or the potomac bridge over U. S. 301?

12. JKB1957

JKB1957

Jul 18, 2015
    In a bygone era our small band would rehearse in the keyboard players basement. Which was good because he had a 147 Leslie which was a pain to lug around. His mom and little sister loved to come down and listen and tell us how bad we sounded. One day we had just finished, "Already Gone," and absolutely nailed the vocals. We looked over at them and both looked like their puppy had died. We asked them what happened and they just looked at us and said we sounded good. :) Keep the groove.

Mr_Moo and GregC like this.
  13. Rabidhamster

Rabidhamster

Jan 15, 2014
    hatersgonnapanda.jpg

GregC and Hotblack like this.
  14. Bunk McNulty

Bunk McNulty It is not easy to do simple things correctly. Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2012
    Northampton, MA
    I am not insultable. If somebody thinks the band I'm with sucks, or think I suck in particular, I agree with them. "Yes, in fact I do suck. It's a freakin' miracle I work so much."

15. DanAleks

DanAleks Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2009
    I was in the "house band". A drunk comes up and requests one of the songs where I sing lead.
    Points at me and says, 'But don't let him sing it. He sings like s**t'.

Spectrum, Oddly, Mr_Moo and 8 others like this.
  16. Slough Feg Bass

Slough Feg Bass Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2007
    San Francisco
    I've gotten that before when someone who is in the club doesn't know I'm in the band, and I hear the conversation:

Dude1: "Hey, you seen them before?"
    Dude2: "no, never, but I hope they play stuff from the first 3 records, cause everything sucked after the Traveller record"

I just kinda shrug because that was like 15 years ago and people still show up to shows, so the last 5 records could not have been all that bad if we are still selling tickets!

17. lbbc

lbbc Supporting Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Seaford , DE
    I heard someone say "they are pretty good" for a band with no drummer. I replied "find another 3-piece band with 3-part harmonies that can cover everything from the Eagles to Bruno Mars"....they got REAL quiet!

McG likes this.
  18. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    Yep. Jerks exist, but I try to pretend they don't. That seems to bother them more than a witty comeback.

Rabidhamster likes this.
  19. MoeTown1986

MoeTown1986 Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2010
    SoMD (Mechanicsville)
    Harry Nice bridge (Potomac bridge) over 301.

20. My wife insults my band right in front of me on a regular basis....

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 8, 2021