1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ever had someone insult your band in front of you?

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Ubersheist, May 31, 2017.

1. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    I was with my band at a party after a KILLER show in Asheville and some drunk guy started talking out his ass in an offhand way about how lame we were. The whole conversation just slid off a cliff for a second while we kind of looked around at each other and then we all stood up and said, welp... time to get back to this AWESOME PARTY, and just left the guy outside by himself in his sad rainy cloud of cigarette smoke.

GlennRH, GregC and Rabidhamster like this.
  2. catcauphonic

catcauphonic High Freak of the Low Frequencies Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2012
    Seattle WA
    Only got this far in the thread before thinking of the terms 'Normcore' & 'Dadcore', as one of my current fave bands has been referred to (Future Islands) cuz they look like regular Joe muggles :p

Spectrum, jam.majors and two fingers like this.
  3. Hahaha

Hahaha

Sep 26, 2003
    Olympia, WA USA
    Back when I first started playing professionally I was recruited into a throw-together band that a front man needed to fulfill a contract in an upper scale showroom/restaurant. The local newspaper reviewer said we were only good for the sale of Excedrin. Nice - insulted in the newspaper. However, he was right.

A year later I was playing in a duo at another upper scale restaurant and the same reviewer gave us a glowing review. Just because the band you're in sucks it doesn't mean you suck. Sometimes you just end up in a turkey until you find something better. Back in those days many of us played for a living, so we were following our instruments around chasing paychecks. Everyone took their turn in a crappy band. Sometimes I would hear insults and think "You got that right, buddy".

Last edited: May 31, 2017
  4. Another thumbs up for the Astrovan. Traded ours in after 12 years for a Sequoia in 2011 and my wife still misses it. Had great AWD for the Wisconsin winters and more room than any minivan or SUV currently on the market. We rented one in the OBX and drove eight adults plus luggage for a week from the airport to the beach and still had room to stop for groceries.

5. bdplaid

bdplaid Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2007
    I think full cans of beer are worse. Yep, that would be me. I was tuning up, drunken bassard hits me with a beer, yells, "Play Something!" Lead singer dives off stage, runs up to the guy just as the guy is getting his gun out. "Just going to the bathroom," lead singer was heard to say. Discretion being the better part of valor and all that.

Then there was the time another drunken old bassard staggers up the stage, gets right in the guitar players face and says very loudly, "YOU HAIR LOOKS RIDICULOUS!"

So many more... Good times, good times...

Mr_Moo likes this.
  6. bdplaid

bdplaid Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2007
    Interesting that a discussion that was supposed to be about being insulted became one about minivans, the ultimate insult to the car-driving world.

7. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    I was peeing once and heard guys saying, "The band is OK, but that singer sucks sooooo freaking bad!" and they were all laughing in agreement. They were right. The singer did suck sooooo freaking bad.

vulturedog and McG like this.
  8. klokker

klokker

Jan 7, 2009
    Steele City, NE
    Never heard anyone insult us for the music we play. Got called a "bunch of old guys" once by some intoxicated guy who of course wasn't that young himself. Other than that......no.

9. Hey, to a lot of that generation, that would be a compliment.

hrodbert696 likes this.
  10. ubernator

ubernator

Oct 30, 2004
    lost angels
    I just want to say, selling an AWD astro is a mistake.

And while they are mistakenly classified as minivans, they are in fact compact vans.

Minivans are built on car/station wagon chassis's, Astros are built on light truck chassis's.

In related news, 25+ years ago I got a parking ticket in my 1988 S-10 blazer, and SW (station wagon) was listed as the body type?! Maybe I could have gotten out of that on a technicality, since it was an SUV.

Much like Gene Simmons said about Rush, "it's RUSH!" The astro is really in its own category, I can't think of another like it, it is a step above the "minivan". I'm keeping my 2003 AWD as long as I can. Even through I don't currently drive it, it needs a lot of work (all from abuse while in another state of mind, proving how awesome these things are, and I can't talk about the abuse it took here, that's classified!).

I will say this, it is capable of some extreme high speed handling.

BassCliff, covermego and Joe Ty like this.
  11. john_g

john_g Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Not directly to my face, but I overheard some dipstick saying "man that band sucked!!" after a set of an originals band I was in. I was 21, everyone else was much older than me, and the drummer quit the night before. The band didnt tell me because "they didnt want me to freak out". I found out when I showed up at the drummers house to load up all of our gear to head to the gig. Talk about awkward. They got an old drummer they played with years previous to fill in at the last minute. Great drummer but he didnt know all the parts because some of the stuff changed over time, so it was a major trainwreck. It was up on a high stage with curtains on either side. I remember slowly exiting...stage left. There were a bunch of other bands playing with us and the place was packed. It in fact, did suck...but it still pissed me off to hear something like that.

Mr_Moo likes this.
  12. That's funny. The Astrovan replaced a 92 S10 Blazer. Can't get away from that Vortec motor.

13. Bunk McNulty

Bunk McNulty It is not easy to do simple things correctly. Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2012
    Northampton, MA
    Let me guess...The Odditorium?

14. Mike Sorr

Mike Sorr Um, I was told there'd be no math... Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2012
    Brick, NJ
    An old girlfriend came to see a band I was in back in the 80s hair metal days. After we were done playing I asked how she liked it. She said, "You guys were...loud."

Mr_Moo and BassCliff like this.
  15. ubernator

ubernator

Oct 30, 2004
    lost angels
    I went from the older 4.3l v6 in the 88 to the vortec 4300 in the astro. 88 was pre vortec, but it is one of the best engines out there. The vortec was pretty much an update of an already good thing.

BassCliff and Joe Ty like this.
  16. We opened for Scale the Summit last year, and about 20 minutes before our set I was at the bar when I heard the guy next to me ask his friend (may have been in one of the other bands, I can't remember) who the next band was, to which said friend replied "Some death metal band, they're probably awful"

Then we broke out a metal rendition of Mussorgsky's 'Pictures at an Exhibition' and both of them were floored :D

Mr_Moo and BassCliff like this.
  17. ubernator

ubernator

Oct 30, 2004
    lost angels
    But the little 1.8 4banger in my 2008 Nissan versa is pretty sweet too. I was near 1/4mil miles on the blazer and the engine was still strong, but other issues made it not worth paying to fix. I got.$1k to.have it.crushed for.smog issues. Ironically just before the Obama cash for clunkers program, which would have gotten me 3-4x that, DOH!

18. Guitarist's girlfriend: "Wow! You guys were great! You must have put a lot of work into developing new material since the last time you played this room."

Me: "The set we just played was the same material as the last time we played this room, two weeks ago."

Guitarist nods in agreement.

Guitarist's girlfriend: "Oh."

Mr_Moo likes this.
  19. The 92 blazer died when it threw a rod towing my parents pop up camper at 145k. Maybe the preVortec was a superior geometry. It limped the remaining ten miles to the campground at 35 mph and 200 decibels of engine noise where I sold it for 600 bucks to a local.

20. "Can you guys quit playing ... so I can play the Jukebox?"

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 18, 2021