1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ever had someone insult your band in front of you?

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Ubersheist, May 31, 2017.

1. ubernator

ubernator

Oct 30, 2004
    lost angels
    I threw a rod in my 88, so actually take 70k off the mileage since the engine got replaced... For free!!! I was tardy with oil changes, to the point where my oil guage was jumping around erratically. I had it in for brakes at midas, and asked them to do an oil change, which I paid for. I get the car back and the guage is still jumping, so I ask if the oil change was done, and they said yes. 4000 miles later it threw a rod while driving on the freeway. Dipstick pulled up thick black sludge, I asked the tow truck driver if it looked like 4000 mile old oil. He thought it was much older than that.

Turned out the car still had a jiffy lube oil filter on it! They didn't do the oil change I paid for, and thus they paid for a $3k engine replacement.

2. covermego

covermego Still here....... Supporting Member

Sep 5, 2010
    Redding, CA
    I'm thinking we need to start a "Best Equipment Hauler" thread...........
    For me, it's 1 Chevy Astro and 2 GMC Safaris (same thing, different badge/cosmetics) , of which I still own 1. But that's another thread.........maybe.........
    Back on track, I played in the NorCal foothills for a Christmas party. I was loading my Safari and this highly-intoxicated woman stumbled up the street to me, thinking I was someone else. She got up fairly close to me and said, "Oh, S#$t, your in the band.......... HA!!!!!!!!" and then stumbled away....... O-kaaaaayyyyy.......

Mr_Moo, Joe Ty and BassCliff like this.
  3. fishdreams

fishdreams Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2010
    Brooklyn, NY
    Endorsing: Arkham Vacuum Tube Amplification and and Martin Keith Guitars
    Was invited to a 'regular jazz jam session' once that started like 1:30AM on a Monday night. While every other bar around closed at 1am, this one stayed open till 5am, so after 1 all the night creatures, ghouls and zombies high-on-God-knows-what spilled in. Literally after the first note the crowd started hurling insults at us. The drummer/vibes player who "led" the "session" was an addict who didn't even notice that the owner took away his kick drum after half an hour of "jazz". I got the impression it was this weekly ritual. That bar was funny.

Mr_Moo likes this.
  4. Session1969

Session1969 Supporting Member

Dec 2, 2010
    Yeah, last year in Tahoe. In line at The Lucky Beaver for an after show meal and the people behind me recognized me. A hot girl (brunette, about 23-24,nice ta-tas) standing with this guy, told me he Was telling her how he thought we sucked. He quickly said " I meant I didn't like the vocals much but the musicianship was great". She pulled me aside, right in front of him, wrapped her arms around me, got super close to my mouth and said , " I thought you guys we super dope , I loved it"! giving me a look that said, I'm yours. I didn't kiss her in case it was her boyfriend. I'm 48 years old, just trying to get some food after a 4 hour show where I pretend I'm much younger. I was toast. I wasn't even mad when she told me what he said. Why ? He was right about our vocals, imo. Our vocals aren't all that, unfortunately.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2017
  5. Relsom

Relsom

Nov 23, 2013
    The Old Dominion
    Ha!, I played there in the '80s. I seem to recall the only thing missing was the chicken wire.

two fingers likes this.
  6. If by insulted you mean left the room, then yes. Every gig frankly.

Spectrum, Mr_Moo and Session1969 like this.
  7. FunkyD

FunkyD Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2011
    NJ, USA
    I attended a wedding reception where the DJ brought a drummer. Would have preferred just the setlist. 20170519_203136.jpg

8. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    The show we played was at a place called Vincent's Ear. I just looked up the Odditorium and it looks like a place I would dig.

Bunk McNulty likes this.
  9. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Same bar I mentioned earlier in the thread a couple years earlier. I was 15 or 16 and the rest of the band was older. We did a weekend with a rare Thursday, Friday and Saturday night. This was during exam week at high school for me. I had been studying, taking exams, and playing shows (with virtually no sleep) for two days. Sometime during the last set break Friday night, I was sitting at the bar.....totally exhausted. (Being 15 years old the owner forced me to come straight to the bar and sit there and drink Pepsi so he could keep an eye on me). A woman who was clearly twice my age (not that 30 is old) came up and dropped her hotel room key in my drink. Without even blinking I quietly removed the key and wiped it off with a napkin. Handing it back to her I said "Ma'am, no offense, but one night with you would kill me deader than hell right now." The drummer, who was kind of my "babysitter" at those early gigs, fell off of his bar stool laughing and cracked his tailbone. We had to get a fill in drummer for a couple weekends if I recall.

Man, the things we have survived......

Mr_Moo, ELG60, vulturedog and 5 others like this.
  10. Bunk McNulty

Bunk McNulty It is not easy to do simple things correctly. Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2012
    Northampton, MA
    That must have been a good while back. Vincent's Ear closed in 2004. Asheville's original hipster hangout! Very cool!

11. alembicguy

alembicguy I operate the worlds largest heavey equipment Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Minnesota
    Bar owner says to me after the first set " what are you doing playing with these clowns."
    I reply not much just playing the crappiest clubs we can find.

12. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

For comments of a critical nature, I remind them of how Mark Twain responded to critical letters: "Dear Sir or Madame, you may be right. Sincerely..."

Mr_Moo likes this.
  13. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

Jan 2, 2008
    I had the local chapter of the hell's angels throw things at us once, guess they didn't care for that particular tune much

14. In that situation, I'd have said "sure! Our fee will be (2 or 3x what you got paid for the first gig). When he asked why, tell him the bands fee is equal to what he paid last time. The money over and beyond that is an A-hole fee..

And the minivan thing - I've got a 95 Ford Aerostar extended van that will haul my gear and the PA, and maybe one other member's gear. It also is pretty quick for a large vehicle. It's got the 4.0L Cologne engine, and will pull a double axle trailer too boot. It's got 214,000 miles on it. I'm hoping to find another Aerostar just like it with low mileage sometime soon. I love this vehicle.

covermego likes this.
  15. We were playing a gig about 8 years ago or so. There were two bands on the bill and we shared drum kits to make it easier. The guy who played drums for us was also the perc player for the headliner. Sound guy was a good friend of us all and the regular sound guy for the headliner. We had one of those Zoom recorders set up back by the FOH position to just get a recording of the show to see how we sounded. The sound guy and another friend were talking and the recorder was picking them up. The friend says..." Is that Gary's (headliner drummer) kit?" and the sound guy said yeah. Friend says it sounds really good and the sound guy replies "Wait til you hear Gary play them!".

When we got together to listen to the recording, it was the first time any of us had heard any of it. When that part plays, our drummer just kinda sits there for a sec, and them mumbles "Motherfu.....". I dont think the sound guy realized everything he said that night was recorded.

BnB

16. vulturedog

vulturedog

Feb 19, 2013
    This wasn't at a gig but I kept a disc of our "original" music on my cd changer in my truck and a childhood freind flew out to Vegas to see me (hadn't seen each other in 10 years). So we were driving from the airport and he starts by saying so let's see what music you listen too.
    He hits the play button and and my bands disc starts to play...... 1st song gives it like 5 seconds ...."yeash terrible"...... 2nd song..... "garbage"... 3rd..... "bad".....4th..etc... all the way through our 9 songs... basically all negative comments.... I was kind of embarrassed for him so I didn't say anything acted like I didn't hear anything .... later in the week I took him to practice with me .....lol .....after practice "man you guys are great do you have any recordings or a disc I can have?" I said yeah I have one .......in my CD player in my truck.... he either realized what happened and never said anything or didn't catch on.......I just left it at that......

Spectrum, oZZma and pablomago like this.
  17. Fixed it for ya!

Everyone's sucked eggs at some time, even the greats. They weren't born great. But even the greats have a crap night every once in a while. Also, that audience member who said something nasty may have a crap night and just doesn't wanna hear [fill in genre], or the song they hear reminds them of an ex and that makes them mad. Like, my buddy's bad is [email protected] good, but they're metal. That isn't everyone's cup of tea.

Or maybe we actually do suck. That's always a possibility, too. :( ;)

18. vulturedog

vulturedog

Feb 19, 2013

lol I had the same experience and yes our singer sucked!

JMacBass65 and Joe Nerve like this.
  19. Hahaha

Hahaha

Sep 26, 2003
    Olympia, WA USA
    That's true. There are also times when a band has the potential to be good, but just can't get it together enough to realize that potential. You can have a band of really good players that simply don't feel the groove the same way.

But there also bands that have a few untalented players that simply don't ever sound good regardless of effort. I've played in a few short-term bands that simply couldn't reach my standards. I thought they sucked even on their best nights. I've played gigs where I stayed in my car until two minutes to start time just putting off walking through the crowd to the stage. That makes playing music an unpleasant job. I still get calls from a few bands to do fill-in work that I won't take because they never sound good, and in my opinion, they can't play well enough to call themselves professionals. But, they have followings and do well enough to keep working. Maybe my standards need adjusting.

There are times when sucking can be downright funny. Last year I played a gig as a fill-in with a band that became a night to remember. The lead singer/rhythm guitarist was sitting on a drum stool with a very short mic stand. He had a short goose neck attached to it so he could lengthen it a bit. On the first song he fell over backwards off of the stool and ended up on his back on the stage floor. He's about seventy years old and overweight, so he just wiggled around on the floor like an upside-down tortoise. I was playing guitar, so the bass player came to the rescue by standing over the fallen singer - one foot on each side of him - and bend down into the mic to sing the song with his butt facing the fallen singer. They stayed that way all the way to the end of the song. It belonged in a Laurel and Hardy movie. :laugh: This happened on the very first song of the night. :roflmao: I wish that event could have made it onto YouTube. It was hilarious!

Spectrum, Mr_Moo and Ubersheist like this.
  20. McG

McG Goat Hill Gamblers

Oct 6, 2010
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Performing like this may help in those situations ;)

Untitled 1.jpg

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 18, 2021