1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ever had someone insult your band in front of you?

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Ubersheist, May 31, 2017.

1. GretschWretch

GretschWretch Supporting Member

Dec 27, 2013
    East Central Alabama
    Thanks. It is good to know the bridge's name. That is the bridge I will use in a couple of months to visit my daughter (if I can figure a way to get past Atlanta now that I-85 downtown has been burned down. I've gone I-75/81 when she lived in Alexandria, but that is too far to the west for where she lives now.

2. Oh man! I'm sorry to hear that.

3. xk49w

xk49w Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2008
    There have been a few over the years but there is one I sort of enjoy, though it's insult by omission rather than something direct.

We went on break and in the audience the whole set with her new friend was a sort of local legend singer. Great voice in a Ronstadt way, pretty too. They had waited until we'd finished the set before leaving, which I thought was nice. On the out way she spoke with the lead singer a bit. I overheard her say... "Your harmonica playing has really gotten better!" Nothing about the singing though. Ouch.

His voice was pretty bad but she'd found a way to give him a compliment.

4. devnulljp

devnulljp Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2009
    BC, Canada
    Admin on the D*A*M Forum
    Music is subjective. It's fine if someone doesn't like my band. The only time I would care would be if they were the people responsible for paying me.

bassbully likes this.
  5. Strabel

Strabel

Jun 28, 2015
    Bourgogne,France.
    Biggest insult ever:Somebody threw a plectrum to me.LOL

mike57 and AshInAmsterdam like this.
  6. flexiblemile

flexiblemile

Apr 19, 2016
    This actually happened just last weekend.

We were doing a gig with another band that is actually quite good. They were covering door while we were playing and we were doing door when they were playing.

So in the middle of their set, the singer's wife walks in (I didn't know it was her) and I ask her to pay the 7$ to get in and she gets super offended and says "I have to listen to this ******** music nonstop all day and now I have to pay to hear it louder?"

Apparently their marriage has all but ended but they're staying together for their kid (good luck, kid!)

After the gig, I offer the singer a beer and he tells me in a super panicky voice "oh no!! I can't drink if my wife is here! She's here right? I just know she is!" And they were walking home too...

Anyways it doesn't really fit the premise of the thread but I thought it was close enough...

Spectrum, Mr_Moo and McG like this.
  7. dtripoli

dtripoli

Aug 15, 2010
    CA
    Ever had someone insult your band in front of you?
    Yep, years ago and more than once.
    Admittedly those insults were well deserved because we totally sucked.
    The only insults I hear now are from friendly fans who jokingly
    will yell out, "Play something you know!" between songs.
    Makes me laugh every time.

oZZma, Mr_Moo and McG like this.
  8. So did you collect the $7? She doesn't get to hear the other s****y band for free. :)

Seriously, I feel for your friend. You only go through life once and it sucks to be miserable. His kid may be better off with happier but separate parents.

Mr_Moo, Henry Guckes and McG like this.
  9. flexiblemile

flexiblemile

Apr 19, 2016

Haha, yeah well she came in right as his band was playing and we had already finished our set. She was with the BL's mom who is the sweetest woman in the world and I eventually recognized her from another gig so I let them in both for free and mentionned it to the BL after their gig. I'm getting paid to play music, not to argue with douchebags.

I'm 100% onboard with you about kids being better with divorced but happy parents.

PauFerro likes this.
  10. Joebarnes

Joebarnes

Oct 4, 2011
    Surrey, BC
    I don't get it - then why come if you don't like it? I don't expect my wife to come to my gigs.... Not that she hates my music, but she's pretty much heard all our stuff before. If she comes though, its not just my band there, so she pays like everyone else since we usually split the door, and she knows and understands this.

11. Sounds like Tim's...we need you guys on this side of the river!

12. We were at Rick's on the River. You work at tims? I'd totally play there!

13. Yeah..we play at Tim's...kinda cool to have a stage out in the water.We did "Waterstock" a couple of years ago.I'll be there Sept 30th for a daytime show.
    I do enjoy catching your band at Vera's whenever I'm at the boat in Solomon's...Cheers.

14. Oh dang! Have we met? What's your name?

15. So a guys comes up to the stage after a difficult song...says "Oh well...nice try"

Ox Boris likes this.
  16. PM'ed you Moe

MoeTown1986 likes this.
  17. MTN.bass72

MTN.bass72 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2010
    Blue Ridge, Ga
    I've been told to my face several times that my band( at the time, many years ago) sucks...oh well, still got your $$$ :smug:

18. jaybones

jaybones Inactive

Mar 4, 2015
    Kelleys Island, Ohio
    none
    When I was in college, the guy who lived (briefly) in the house across the street was in a band called Kid Charlemagne. Their best song was James Brown Get on Up, sung by a white guy who did every word from the recorded version. No feeling no soul nothing, and the guys (in their matching outfits) just stood there playing. Nobody even moving except a head bob or shoulder shrug.

When the band I was in got a gig at the popular live band bar, they showed up in their outfits. Stood with their arms crossed right in front of the stage.

My best friend, and lead guitarist, was playing a solo in Em. He started a run high in the octave, picked the first note, took a swig of his beer bottle, and ended the lick (started picking again after setting the beer down) low in the first position. Totally went over and cut their heads right off.

The guitar player (this trust fund wannabe who thought he was great since he had a custom shop Stratocaster), actually nodded to the singer and smiled.

After that I think they realized that we weren't that bad.

Also had people tell me I/we sucked, and I'd always say "When are you playing next? Oh, you don't have a band." Then follow it up with something like "Hey, we're working here. Do we come down to the corner and slap the c0ck out of your mouth when you're working?" Or "Tell you how to fold the tacos?"

catcauphonic likes this.
  19. PauFerro

PauFerro

Jun 8, 2008
    United States
    I got one on Sunday. We were doing a freebie non-profit gig I do monthly, and we decided to just call ChristmasTime is Here by Vince Guaraldi. I decided to take a solo even though the chord changes aren't typical for jazz. I did my solo, and liked some of the ideas I came out with, and then the keyboard player took a solo.

When we were done the tune, this old gent comes up to me personally and says out of the blue -- "Yep, you got through the changes". I said "what?". He repeated himself, and then went on about how he was some sort of expert in woodwind playing and knows all kinds of instruments. And then at the end says it again "Yep, you got through the changes".

Then he walked away and I tried to put myself in his shoes. Would I say something like that to someone I didn't know?

Probably not. I probably would probably talk about music in general -- and would give constructive criticism only if asked for.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2018
    Mr_Moo likes this.
  20. Yools

Yools

Jul 24, 2009
    Deepinaharta, TX
    Haha - I bet that was Jason McMaster of Dangerous Toys fame. The band you described sounds just like Ignitor - not sure if they are still together, but I know he was playing with them as far back as 2010 or so. He actually is a really super nice guy with a great sense of humor, and he probably meant well by it.

- Y

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 18, 2021