1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ever had someone insult your band in front of you?

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Ubersheist, May 31, 2017.

1. It's happened a couple times, usually the commentator is intoxicated.

I say "thanks" and move on, no worries.

Mr_Moo likes this.
  2. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    I don't care what anybody says to me. I'm going to express myself, and if they don't like it, they can get bent.

3. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

them: "what kind of music tonight?"

me: we'll be playing some jazz.

them: "pretty stuff or that gobbledygook stuff?"

me: some of it will be pretty, i hope!

them: "well, can you play the pretty stuff first...so i can leave when the crap starts?"

:laugh:

Spectrum, oZZma, Bobro and 2 others like this.
  4. years ago I was in an originals band (pop / rock) and on our second ever gig we got it video taped.... I think my amp blew from out first gig the week before, but I think I was DI'd to the desk for the gig? I still have that video tape somewhere
    I showed it to my parents once and my dad made a lot of 'suggestions' to improve the band (he thought it was ghastly music!)

a few years ago I was in a covers band and someone had posted on Facebook or something that they were looking for a band for a function - I replied and gave them our bands website and details.... someone else replied to my comment saying "they (my band) are very boring - don't hire them" and also said "their singer is good to look at, but the band are pretty average"

Mr_Moo likes this.
  5. arbiterusa

arbiterusa

Sep 24, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    OMG. Had a very drunk guy show up at my singer's acoustic solo gig. Started raging about her "fat ass" (furthest thing from the truth). Fine. Started yelling "fatass" at the top of his lungs. Not fine. Told him to STFU, she was in my band, and that apparently motivated him to swing at me...he missed, went over a table and facefirst into the floor. I never laid a finger on the idiot. He wasn't getting back up, so I got security (I thought the guy had broken his fool neck) he came to and decided to up the ante with them and got "the treatment" and then hauled off by the cops.

I mean, we may not have been everyone's cup of tea but to swing at a guy a foot taller than you? Hell, we weren't THAT bad.

Mr_Moo and Spectrum like this.
  6. I played in a Celtic band. An Irish guy came up after our set and says, "You were pretty good for a bunch of Yanks!" He did end up buying two of our CD's though.

My current band aspires to having what I call "a high suck factor." We are good enough that when we do have an off gig, we're still pretty decent. The higher the suck factor, the better we are when we do suck.

McG likes this.
  7. dbase

dbase Gold Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    I would have stayed at least for the food ;)

Mr_Moo and McG like this.
  8. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I disclose nothing
    Ever had someone insult your band in front of you?

about 15 years ago I was in a band and we played a Lions or Eagles club. These clubs have a rather diverse cross section of members. So we played there once and the young people showed up and loved us because we played classic and modern rock … we also played fairly loud. So after a successful gig they had us back. Well... the second time the room was full of blue hairs who didn't like louder modern music. In fact classic rock was too new for them … well we proceeded to play and the blue hairs did not like it. This one old woman came to the stage and told us that we were the worst band they ever had at their club. We were polite, but we figured out the best way to end this situation. The club had a rule at that club that you could swear any word but the F word … so for our final song we did the song "She F-ing hates me" and while we are doing that song and belting out the F word and your could see the management and club members getting more and more uncomfortable … we were hoping they would never call us to come back.

It was a total classic situation

LiquidMidnight and Mr_Moo like this.
  9. G-Dog

G-Dog What a fun place! Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2016
    Never had anyone insult my band in front of me, but to me!

At a church gathering, no less, the hosting youth band was playing first. I noticed a young 20-something guy, holding a bass, frantically looking for something. So I went over and asked how he was doing and he said, "My battery just died and I can't find my spare. Nobody has one! I can't play and we're on next!!" I pulled a battery out of my pocket and he yelled out loud, took it and ran back to his band.

His band played and were a little better than the youth band, both playing Contemporary Christian songs. My band (all 30 year experienced musicians) played last, a couple of radio CC songs, then we played a few of our guitarist's original CC tunes, which really got the audience hooping and hollering! It was all great fun, we thought.

Couple days later I saw the dead-battery guy and asked how he enjoyed the get together. He said, "It was pretty good 'til this jive band got up there right after us." !!!

I said, "Well, but, uh, the battery I gave you still working OK?" Then the recognition set in and, as he blushed deep red, he just mumbled "Yeah. Uh, yeah." and walked away sheepishly. I almost literally LOL'd!

10. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Most folks are looking for fun but there’s always at least one looking for trouble

11. My band was practicing in DC once, in one of those old Victorian-looking townhouses, on the second floor. There was a 3-sided bay window facing the street and all three windows were open as it was a nice day, and the drummer's back was to it. As we finished up a song we heard some drunken rando on the street yell up to us, "YOU SUCK!"

We all started laughing and then pressed on with rehearsal. I love DC sometimes. :laugh:

Mr_Moo and McG like this.
  12. PauFerro

PauFerro

Jun 8, 2008
    United States
    I was having a rehearsal in a home I rented out at the time, and it was vacant. Neighbor walks by and says "Don't quit your day job". I rolled my eyes as we were just barely formed, and second, I find it unoriginal when people quote phrases that are popular in culture at other people. To me, my neighbor's comment screamed "I (the neighbor) am so lame can't think of anything original".

Mr_Moo likes this.
  13. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    A few months ago, I was playing a room with a modern country band. When we went on setbreak, a guy, knowing who my lead singer was, said, "Do you agree that they hired the wrong band for tonight?" My singer didn't know what to say. Apparently it came down to the age old, "You're not playing anything we can dance to" whine. (My response to that is always, "Maybe you just don't know how to dance."). Then the guy proudly says, "Ya know, if you want to get these people out on the dance floor, I'll tell you exactly what to play: Simple Man!" :rollno:

Back in college, I played in a really tight and popular modern rock band. At a new venue, we soundchecked with Stupify by Disturbed. Our engineer always had a very clean and distinct mix, but he also enjoyed his volume as well. :D After soundcheck, an elderly woman sitting at a table asked our singer for a business card. When he gave her one, she said, "Thanks, now I will now to avoid this place when you're hear next." Cranky woman aside, we had a great gig. :D

I recall playing in my first real gigging band - and blues and classic rock outfit - when I was younger. We were playing at an Italian club, which was sort of our home base. There was a class reunion there prior to the gig. We went up at the scheduled time and started playing. After playing about one song, some guy comes up to the stage with a note he hands to us, asking us to stop playing as people were still finishing up their stories and goodbyes. We stopped playing. Our drummer was livid. I kind of shrugged my shoulders. If that happened now that I am older, my reaction would be much different and more in-line with our drummer's. I must likely would have made a mental calculation of how badly I wanted to play that place and then told note guy to shove it up his ass; it's not our fault your event ran over.

14. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    People still say "jive" and mean it unironically?

:D

15. G-Dog

G-Dog What a fun place! Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2016

That was about 20 years ago, but I thought the same thing then. :roflmao:

Yes, I am that old. :sorry:

LiquidMidnight likes this.
  16. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    South Bend, Indiana
    ^^THIS^^ pretty much. Although I've been known to say things like "Yeah, yeah..whatever.." or "Yeah, I know; but this is the only time we can get together to practice..":whistle:

Mr_Moo and WI Short Scaler like this.
  17. Years ago I had a free-form jazz band which had a lunchtime show for the student union over at the engineering/commerce campus. We had a few requests for George Thorogood, and afterwards a female offered to buy us some music lessons.

Actually music lessons have been suggested a few times over the years.

18. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 8, 2021