1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ever had the bass/gear/instrument you wanted taken right from under your nose?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Milk, Oct 10, 2013.

1. Milk

Milk

Sep 16, 2013
    Montreal, Canada
    This is a "TLDR/cool story bro" post but it is not required to read the whole thing. The short version is someone today bought the bass i was about to buy tomorrow after having obsessed about it for two months and gathering the money for that long and i am pretty damn pissed off and sad about it.

The long version is as follows:

There was this bass. I really wanted it. I'd been obssessing about it for two months. It had been up on ebay as buy it now for that long. Finally i get the money, up until yesterday the bass was there. Earlier tonight, I was in the process of looking up the best way to transfer money to my friend in the US so he could buy it for me tomorrow and could ship it to his place and i could avoid the customs fees by picking it up myself (I have to go to the Us later in the year anyway). So just to be sure i look up the bass again.....gone. Sold........

I can't begin to tell you how upset about it i am. It is not a common bass, the model is not being made anymore and the brand is obscure at best (i'd heard good things about it though, and no i'm not gonna tell you what it is, the less people aware of it, the better for me), the odds of finding it again are very slim, certainly not within the next few months. For all i know it could be years. This was gonna be finally the bass i was allowing myself to buy after spending 17 years playing the same one. I think i need a week or two to get over it. I just can't...I mean..why... WHY?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? It's one of those fate is clearly mocking me moment like it's denying me anything worthwhile... "oh you wanted that did you? How silly of you... why don't you use this money to pay bills and food instead like a responsible human being..."

I mean I'm not someone who tends to buy myself things (like i honestly can't remember the last time i bought myself something worth more than a 100$). I rarely ever allow myself to have material needs. And i had allowed this one and i'd been obsessing about it for two months. It might sound ridiculous and like i'm blowing this out of proportion but i am pretty damn sad and angry about it. I do know if i don't buy a bass now in a few months this money will be gone paying whatever other thing that is more responsible (I normally NEVER have that kind of cash) But right now anyway, i don't want any other bass. Any other would be like a consolation price. Oh you can have this one... that you really don't want as much...and that is gonna be a constant reminder of that one you didn't get.

It's like....it's kinda like in high school see...and you fancy this girl really badly and she's single and you think "i'm gonna ask her out. I will. At some point..." And you work up the courage. You take all this time to build enough of it. And then your friend at some point tells you hey, this girl, you know, I heard she likes you. So you're like wow, tomorrow i'm gonna ask her out for sure, that's it, it's gonna happen! And you get to school that morning. And....sure enough, she turns up at school with some guy, her new boyfriend....(that story pretty much happened to me kinda but it wasn't HS anymore....I guess i spent too much time blinking in my life, obviously...)

Well anyway... i needed to vent...and to know if maybe that happened to someone else...

2. Jeff Roller

Jeff Roller Jeff Roller Gold Supporting Member

Dec 24, 2007
    Maryville, TN
    All the time. It just wasn't meant to be.

Just means something better is in store, hang on to the money and be ready for it!

3. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    Dude, it had neck problems.

4. Good old Aesop.

5. Milk

Milk

Sep 16, 2013
    Montreal, Canada
    But...but......... It looked so good that maybe that wouldn't even have mattered? So the strings buzzed on half the neck. Like...big deal. Why do i keep wanting to go beyond the 12th fret anyway you know, when you think about it? That's just silly. What is this? a bass or a guitar?

But see, the fact that you say all the time tells me you have an habit of getting basses and or gear. So you CAN replace a need with another. I find right now that i can't. YOu know when something bad happens in your life and you wake up in the morning and after the first ten seconds when you're just vaguely aware you are awake or where you are (and perhaps who you are), you feel this unpleasant feeling (call it the blues, or heartache or mental anguish) because you are now awake enough to remember that something about your life really sucks right now? That's what i got this morning. It's just like the time i lost 1200$ (like i physically lost it, i had that much on me, which never happens and was basically a one time thing and all the money i had to my name, and i lost it) or when an ex broke up with me after two years.

You wake up and its like, oh that's right, i hate my life right now. Whats the point of waking up? life sucks.

know the first thing i did upon waking up? Tracked the only one person i found through google who owns the bass (they'd posted something about it on a forum) and told them id buy it from them for a good price. Despite the fact that they gave it a good review earlier this year so they probably want it. I also contacted the company that makes them to see if they could direct me to a dealer that might have it since its discontinued now. That's the kind if desperation i am in. More pathetic even, and this is true, I DID find a lefty model for sale and ACTUALLY FOR A MINUTE CONSIDERED learning to play lefty.

6. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    No, these were serious problems. You would've barely been able to play it at all, and after three weeks, it would've just snapped in half.

Plus, the body had termites; the bass had been cursed by a Haitian Voodoo Priest, seven Gypsies and a Shaman who lives in a small room in the back of a 7-11 in Kansas City; the electronics were wired to plastic explosives, and the seller is known for scamming people, and stealing their organs.

You did NOT want to get involved with all that, although I do admit it sounds tantalizing.

:eyebrow:

7. Milk

Milk

Sep 16, 2013
    Montreal, Canada
    How does the quote go again? I reject your reality and substitute my own? yeah. that's what i'm doing.

Also Voodoo curses have no grip on me as i actually sold my soul to the devil just to get the money for the bass. Or my body to medical science anyway. But what's the difference? And no, voodoo can't affect you once your soul is gone. It's... fact. Just...look it up.

Anyway there might be yet a happy conclusion to all this...........

Because in my obsession to dig up the whole of the internet to find this bass again (it's all i've been doing since..aside from sleep) I might, MIGHT have found one. I'll keep you posted (cause you care that much right? you know it) It would cost me more than the one i was gonna get for sure but at this point i just want to tell fate to suck it no matter how much that ends up costing me (so what if i dont have enough cash to eat for the next few days, i've got fat to spare anyway plus i'm pretty sure i can just shove flour and salt in my mouth and my body will still count this as nutrition). I. Need. This.

I WILL NOT BE DENIED. And if i end up not liking the bass soundwise somehow or there is a flaw I WILL IGNORE IT AND PRETEND EVERYTHING IS PERFECT (because otherwise fate would still have won and i can't let fate know it cause he's such an a-hole)

8. RED J

RED J Lol

Jan 23, 2000
    I had that experience with a Kramer with double J pickups like the current Blacktop Precision. Also a very rare bird at the time, and my idea at the time of my dream config.Things were looking good but toward the end somebody wanted it worse than me and had the time to sit on the end of the auction or used a sniping program, they won. I was really disappointed. In the meantime, I have several basses that scratch my itch and I could buy a Blacktop P today, but I won't. Yet anyway.Something else will come along.

9. Milk

Milk

Sep 16, 2013
    Montreal, Canada
    At least you lost it at an auction which...unfortunately you kinda have to expect you'll lose (honestly as kinda lame as sniping programs are, use one, for anything worthwhile it's often the only way to secure a buy). Mine was a buy it now. And it had been online for so long (almost two months) that i never figured it was gonna be sold RIGHT as i was gonna get it. See if it had sold a month ago, when i didnt have the money for it yet anyway, i'd have just thought well nothing i could do. But now, when it was the matter of one day too late? Hard to take.

Now i basically found a store that claims to carry it but its a small store that does mention on their site that sometimes there's a possibility the online stock versus what they actually have in store has not yet been updated so while it says its there...it might not be. I contacted them and have been crossing my fingers ever since.

10. Milk

Milk

Sep 16, 2013
    Montreal, Canada
    Just as i feared, they don't actually have it anymore. They contacted maker, don't have any models left. But...the seller was told by the maker that they are making a similarly named model next year (one change in digit). It didn't specify if it would look the exact same or have the same specs but it's a safe bet it'll be close otherwise i don't think the maker would have mentioned it. Of course the issue is...will i have the money for it then? (it might end up beign more expensive too) I think it's unlikely. Judging by experience, something unexpected will somehow come up to suck this money out of me (something i need will break and have to be replaced, or i'll have to have a root canal or some similar BS).

I guess this was my bargaining phase of the five stages of grief. Or was it denial. I dont know. i already got anger and depression at the same time. I think i'm getting ALL stages at once. Well aside from acceptance.

11. Do you realize how many people that are on TB that are helpful rather than greedy?. The fact that you dont want people to know what bass it is shows that you are the latter and may not deserve this bass anyways.

I had the exact same thing happen to me here and then announced what happened and named the bass that was "taken right out from under my nose". About a month and a half later a TB'er pointed me in the direction of said bass and i ended up with exactly what i wanted. If i thought the way you did about the situation i wouldnt have this bass right now. It wasnt the exact bass with same serial number, but was exact model and options that i wanted.

Maybe you need to change your approach.

12. I would also like to point out that the TB'er (Caca de Kick) basically is a collector and player of these basses and still helped me out.

Thanks Mike :hyper:
    DSC00015.

13. yodedude2

yodedude2 Supporting Member

you will never want it as much as you do now. once you get it, you will like it less and less. eventually you will sell it and get something else.

good luck!

14. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    recently an 80s sb-2 and a mij 62ri p, but i am forcing myself to be ecstatic about my current gear, because i have an art show in january and i need to have that be my obsession for the next couple months

15. RxFunk

RxFunk

Dec 2, 2012
    Arizona
    I missed a handmade classical guitar on craigslist by about 10 minutes, Im still kicking myself.

16. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    Best possible solution:

Buy a Fender Jazz bass with a tort pickguard.

17. Thats one solution! Here is my '71
    DSC01829.

18. ggunn

ggunn

Aug 30, 2006
    Austin, TX
    If this sort of thing only happens to you once in the course of your life, you are a lucky, lucky man. Get over it. I always do... eventually. :D

19. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    This. Exactly this. There are thousands of us here. We can help. We would be GLAD to help.

Also, there is NO BASS ON EARTH worth all the emotion you are putting into this. Not ONE. Calm down. You're being silly.

20. ICM

ICM

Apr 29, 2013
    Eastern Pennsylvania
    Sorry to hear about the bass! I{m gonna subscribe to this thread purely because I hope you get it, so I can find out what it is.
    The curiosity is killing me!