Ever had to dial 911?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Sonic_Death, Aug 13, 2005.

1. Just wondering how many of you out there have actually had to dial 911. I never have in my life thankfully!(my friend jokingly called them once and I heard it.. but does that count?)

So share some stories, hopefully they aren't too bad!
  2. Vince S.

Vince S. Resident Former Bassist

Jan 24, 2003
    I've never had to call 911, but I've been the subject of a 911 call. A few years ago I had a really bad case of the flu, and my fever spiked very high, and the tylenol wasn't fully working. I was delirious and trembling, so my parents had to call EMS. While EMS was coming, my parents soaked me with cool water, which brought the fever down. When the ambulance got there, my fever was down significantly, and medical control deemed it was safe, so I didn't go to the hospital.

However, I'm also a Police Explorer, so I do ridealongs with the officers, and we respond to various 911 calls.

3. Called it once and hung up when I was like 3... the police called back and I probably crapped my pants several times. :meh:

I did cut off my thumb however... no middle man there, just straight to the OR
  4. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    A couple times, nothing too serious involving me though. A couple break-ins (wasn't home at the time), once because I saw a car run into a ditch and start on fire after the driver climbed out.
  5. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
  6. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    RE: Keith BMI.

I did the same thing at 7. Felt terrible about it afterwards for ages.
  7. But if you call 911 from your cell phone in California, it goes to the CHP, who are much slower to respond(I'm told)to non-highway related issues. Calling the local police may be your best bet.
  8. retitled

Feb 13, 2004
    forest hills
    i never called it but it was called for me....

in 2000 my apendix exploded and i had a sezieur so i was rushed to the hospital to get it removed but while in transit i had ANOTHER seizure much much much more worse then teh first one...

the details of the after math are pretty grusome and will only go into detail with them after special request...
  9. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    i've called 911 three times in my short 18 years

1) a few years back. we were having band practice at my guitarists house. his dad came down yelling and wound up totally beating the hell of of him (he was 15 at the time) so the drummer and i got the dad off, we all left amd i called

2) about 6 months ago, my car broke down on the side of a busy road. i called AAA but we all know they can take for ever. i know most (if not all the cops in my town) so i called 911 to have one sent out to see if he could help at all, and just to talk to

3) last month, someone tried to break into my house, so i called 911. the cops came, but no one was found in the area
  10. Pics!? ;)
  11. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    about 7 or 8 years ago on x-mas eve, I was at my friends house, and his mother left the house for a bit to goto the store. The slammed door blew wind, causing napkins to blow over on a lit candle, ignite, and fall onto a bowl of Walnuts (which saved our lives). We heard the walnuts exploding and I went to check what it was with my brother, and we saw flames soaring through the door frame. We told our friend and his brother and we ran upstairs, and thankfully at the top of the stairs, is his backyard door. So we ran outside, barefeet, hop the fence (Couldn't open because of all the snow) and 2 of us ran to a neighbours, and the other two ran to my house. After we went to the neighbours, I ran back home and then called 911 from there.
    Apparently, when his mother was driving home, she saw fire trucks and made a joke saying "ooh I bet there going to see the boys" and she came home and there we were!

about 2 months later, same house, the carbon dioxide alarm went off. We've been 5 months accident proof! I was about 10-12 or so.

Scariest part is that I still remember looking over into the flames. phew. Quite the memories :p
  12. When I was a little kid playing baseball me and the other outfielder ran for the ball and I caught the ball. He happened to be standing behind me and the ball came down and shattered his nose. They had to call 911. My bad.

I also have a recurring nightmare where I have to call 911. It's happened to me at least a dozen times. Sometimes it involves me, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes I wake up sweating. It's weird.
  13. Wow, what happened? How did it turn out?
  14. I was just a 3 year old with a knife (stole it from the table, one of those big butchers' knives) and I was trying to be like my mom, cutting things in the kitchen. I tripped and I fell on it, put it in a cooler with ice and went to the E.R.

They sewed it back on, and you can see the stitches going around the thumb. It's a chick magnet ;)
  15. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Wow. Sorry, Keith edited his post after I posted -- I have not cut my own thumb off. I do have one mean scar on my left hand near the base of my thumb from a 4th grade shop class incident though.
  16. Ouchhhhh! That beats my finger and thumb hitting a running miter saw blade story. Knocked out a V shaped chunk on the index and cut through the thumb nail. Ran it under cold water with a tunicate to stop the bleeding. Rapped it up with gauze and went to the ER the next day. (I'm a real tough guy ;) ) Got it cleaned and got a tetanus shot.

I called 911 twice. The first was a car crash, just a fender bender. The second, a somewhat elderly man that road a bicycle to the auto parts store I was working at. It was about 90+ that day. He bought some CRC (like WD40) to spray his bike chain. I noticed he was having trouble with the sprayer on it. I went out there to help him and he toppled over and fainted, fell right on top of his bike. By the time the ambulance got there he was coming out of it, but he did not really know what happened or where he was. They took his vitals and stuck around till he was better and then got him a ride home.
  17. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Our son fell off our kitchen counter and cracked his arm pretty good. We had to get an ambulance to take him to the hospital.

18. I dont call 911, but in Australia, if you call 1-1-9 the phone calls you back, with no one on the end of it (just like an automatic ring)... Dunno why!

I have called 000 a few times though, that is the emergancy number down here. My father was quiet ill, a few times he had porblems breathing, but he pulled through every time, even if it meant stints in hospitial lasting months; this was before it was discovered that he needed a lung transplant about 13years ago now...

Many years later he broke his leg in the kitchen after collapsing due to lack of oxygen in the blood. Server complications with this, his transplant (medication in particular) and blood clotting lead to masive organ failure and his death in 2002.

Other than that, no real emergancy calls- Mum was an ER / Surgery Nurse, so she had a fair idea of what do should issues arrise- Dad had spent that much time in hospital, he'd tell the nurses what to do :rolleyes:
  19. I was vacationing in jasmaica and my sister dialed 119 which is jamaican emergencyniumber, so we accedental y caklled e4mergency number

sorry stupid alcohgol
  20. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    drunk again ey? :D

I called 911 once (well, actually "100", but you get the point) because two men were breaking in a house across the street.