Ever have… To many favorites?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by joel406, May 9, 2021.

1. joel406

joel406

Dec 27, 2013
    Florida
    I have 5 Basses.

Some would say that’s to many.

Some would call me a rookie.

So I have 5 Basses that I love. No matter which one I choose I’m content. I don’t miss one of the others. But I’m happy when I grab one I haven’t played in a while.

I keep one on the stand for practice. I usually leave it there when I go to gigs. Sometimes I pack it up and grab a second one and head out. All my cases are identical and are not labeled. Whatever I grab is cool.

Any one else have multiple Basses? And all feel like their your #1?

2. Bass Man Dan

Bass Man Dan Endorsing Artist: Ned Flanders' Bass-a-Reeno

Oct 20, 2017
    Cincinnati
    I can relate. I have a few different basses and I will gig almost any of them depending on my mood. In the moment, they all feel great!

jazzyvee and kohanmike like this.
  3. msb

msb

Jul 3, 2002
    Halifax,N,S. Canada
    I have over twenty , there’s only two I’d want to sell right now .

kohanmike likes this.
  4. Lownote38

Lownote38

Aug 8, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    I have 7, and I love all of them for different reasons.

5. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    I have nine.
    Thought I'd stop with four, then, I thought I'd stop with seven.
    Nothing can top the L2000s but I can be happy playing any of them...including the Dean Exoticas, which are more versatile than any of the other four.
    FB-IMG-1620429129158.jpg FB-IMG-1620429184285.jpg

6. Clark Westfield

Clark Westfield Floyd Pepper is my mentor!

Jan 30, 2012
    Central Jersey
    I have just 4 and love them all.

Took me over ten years to get the “ones” that will always be with me.

My wife says 4 is too many, what does she know, she is not a Bassman!

BD14B4F8-70EA-42CA-890A-0173DC5FCF19.jpeg

MynameisMe, J_Bass, JRA and 3 others like this.
  7. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    I have probably close to 30 fuzz pedals. And there are 4 or 5 that I am absolutely GASsing for. And they're all probably the same except in my head.

AudioTaper, westrock, J_Bass and 4 others like this.
  8. elgranluis

elgranluis

Feb 14, 2003
    Vail, CO
    Well, whenever I sell a bass of which I only have one ( let’s say I sell my only eb3, or my only ric, or my only MM), I start missing it and have to buy one to replace it. So I guess they’re all my favorites.

That being said, If I has some sort of financial problem and needed to get rid of them all , I’d keep the squier bronco, not my favorite 78p.

9. I have four. One is on loan to a friend, and one needs some repairs before I can gig it again.
    Of the two that I can bring to a gig, one is a multi-scale 6 and one is a medium scale 4.
    The 6 gets all my practice time because I'm still getting used to it. It also goes to all of my gigs and rehearsals, unless I'm playing in a dive or a bandleader specifically asks for another bass (hasn't happened yet).

10. Iristone

Iristone

Jul 8, 2017
    Beijing
    I don't really have that for bass. Both of my non-main basses (an SG and a 5-string maple-bodied J) are bought to fill specific niches, and I'm perfectly happy with the role they play in my collection.
    Snare drum, however would be the problem for me. I really can't decide whether to bring my Ludwig, Gretsch or Premier to the next rehearsal (if/when there is one)...

11. kohanmike

kohanmike Gold Supporting Member

I have 28 bass ukes/mini bass guitars, most have been modified or converted from a junior guitar, some are custom, all specifically to my designs, which is why I don't have a favorite, they all satisfy me one way or another.

Bass Collection.jpg

Last edited: May 10, 2021
  12. Element Zero

Element Zero Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2016
    California
    I have 4. But only 2 really get played. 1 hasn’t even been out of its original Freedom case in over 2 years lol.

13. You will find the answers you seek here, young Padawan.
    :help:

Last edited: May 10, 2021
  14. HubbardsFate

HubbardsFate

Oct 18, 2006
    *Too

mikewalker, smarthound, geof_ and 2 others like this.
  15. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    Own the basses you love. The OP has 5, I have 2. I've been told I make all my basses sound pretty similar!!! If that is so, then there's no point in me owning any more than 1 bass and a backup.

16. kmon

kmon Supporting Member

May 11, 2009
    Austin, TX
    Same page. I have 5, all set up and dialed in perfectly. I love every one of them, and I don't believe there's a bass out there that will give me a better playing experience or bring something that I can't achieve with what I have(at least something I care about having).

US Geddy Jazz
    US Custom L2K w/jazz neck
    US SB-2
    MIJ Classic 70s P w/ original 60s pu
    Tribute Kiloton

17. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru..........

Apr 11, 2006
    Er, yup.

18. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

sure! it's "a thing!" :thumbsup:

disclosure: if they don't play exactly how i like = i disassemble them to await further orders!

19. bigdaddybass12

bigdaddybass12

Feb 26, 2021
    What ever I am playing. I bought a new Sterling Ray4 as a beater because of a rough joint we play. Now it the only one I play. Our gig this past week was at a snobby bar & grill, took the ol' Sterling!

20. J_Bass

J_Bass Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2008
    Porto, Portugal
    I have 5 electric basses, right now.

One of them is my first bass, a quality Hamer Cruise, Korean. I will never sell this one.

Then I have a Maruszczyk 5 string E-C, that I don't use much, never with the band, sometimes at home, for chords and solo playing. It's not often. This one I would sell.

Then, I have the other 3 main players, I could be with only one of these, but I can't/don't want to sell any of them, because I love them:

Serek Midwestern 30.5.
    Yamaha Pulser 400.
    Yamaha BBPH.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021