Ever have… To many favorites?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by joel406, May 9, 2021.

1. I have 5 and each is set up for it's own niche. PJ5 w/flats, PJ5 w/stainless, 5 string fretless, 5 string EUB and a custom coffee table bass that is extremely versatile but that is not really in rotation at the moment as it weighs 12+ pounds. So the need dictates the bass.

2. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    Yep.

5A261147-80AA-473F-AB6C-6C4C90C48372.jpeg

Flaked Beans likes this.
  3. Ostie

Ostie

Aug 1, 2018
    Mid MI
    I have 6. Whenever I talk about selling one, here’s what my wife says:
    1. If it gives you joy, keep it. It’s paid for.
    2. If you sell it you’ll regret it, and probably never get another.
    3. You don’t need the money.

OTOH, there’s only one bass, one guitar, and one mandolin that I regret selling. All the others, I don’t even think about.

4. Esteban Garcia

Esteban Garcia bassist, arranger, aelurophile Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2018
    Portland, OR
    Mine are all different, subtly different tools for different jobs. But a bass is a bass at the end of the day, and i can make do if I grab the wrong one

5. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    up until recently, all my basses were my favorites or none of them were, depending on how you look at it.

as of very recently, i got a bass that became my first favorite. go figure!

6. burgerdj

burgerdj

Dec 4, 2006
    I have 4 basses: 2 fretted 4s, a fretted five and a fretless 4. The only duplication is the fretted 4 but they are rather different: a PJ Warwick and a EBMM Sterling. I can honestly say that l love them both dearly and am happy to play either on any given day. My fretted 5 is kinda like a hybrid - it’s a Warwick ProM with a TJ pickup in approx MM location. It has its own voice, but it is my one and only 5...and likely will remain so!

7. MYLOWFREQ

MYLOWFREQ Supporting Member

May 13, 2011
    I got multiple basses of the same models. They're all set up the same. All of my basses have the same strings on them so I pick the bass depending on the color.

dabbler likes this.
  8. TNCreature

TNCreature Jinkies! Supporting Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Philadelphia Burbs
    I have 9 right now, nutnthere are 2 or 3 of them that are just a joy to play. They just feel good. I love all of my basses for their various characteristics, but the feel is super important when gigging.

9. HardNHeavy

HardNHeavy

Apr 17, 2014
    Milford, PA
    Yes 4 (fenders) and another PJ in the oven i am refinishing in gold with matching headstock. All setup the same with same strings, different pickups.

10. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

I have 4. 3 are "boutique" and 1 is the complete opposite.
    2 are gifts from my wife - 1 boutique and 1 opposite.
    2 are boutique 5 strings. 1 is fretless.
    If I had to pick 1 bass that would do it all the best, it would be the fretted 5.
    I can take any of them to a gig and get by just fine.
    I rotate them because they are all great and all have a sound and all "work" in almost any setting.
    I wouldn't mind one more. Odd numbers seem to work for me. So I'd have to either sell my fretless (which I won't do again as I've bought it back twice) or add another. Can't quite convince my wife - or my bank account - that it is a good time to do that. My daughter will need a car soon.

11. For me, too many gigs is far preferable to too many basses. Ever had too many gigs?

12. bigtone23

bigtone23

Dec 10, 2014
    Denver, CO
    I have about 17 basses. I really do like them all pretty equally, as they have all been surgically curated and modified to my needs. Of course, if I had to pare it down to two or three, I could do that. Since I have the room to store them, the ability to maintain them and the presence on Talkbass to justify them :D, I will keep and play them all.
    About a third of them are 'specialty/purpose' basses (P with flats, J with flats, Bass VI, fretless 5), a third are 'utility/general gig' basses that punch well above their weight class (various 80s era US Peaveys, 80s Ibanez, MIM Fender or Squier CV/VMs) and the other third are my 'relatively more expensive/selective situation' basses (Vintage or US Deluxe Fender and G&L). They are all great basses and I'm lucky enough to be able to pick and choose them based on the gig or situation and know that I have a very comfortable and reliable ride.

13. I currently own 9 9and building a 10th) and I love them all. But, I'm not talented enough to know any better, so there's that! :roflmao:

14. I like all of my Basses for different reasons. I couldn't part with any one of them.

15. Mr Cheese

Mr Cheese

Nov 8, 2019
    New York, USA
    My Fender Jazz quickly passed my Yamaha for the #1 spot. Changing the battery constantly on the Yamaha got annoying.:D Plus the Jazz is just what I was hoping for.

16. geof_

geof_

Apr 25, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    I new are TalkGrammar member’s wood fixit.

smarthound likes this.
  17. Benj-jammin

Benj-jammin Supporting Member

Jul 16, 2020
    North Carolina
    Two is all I need - a passive Fender P deluxe and an active Ibby SR800 - best of both worlds, both different, love 'em both.

18. Yellow Bang66

Yellow Bang66

Jun 5, 2019
    Ugh I never intended To have as many as I have(14) but when opportunity knocks & you have the means..., I thought I was done but.. I came across a warmoth body that was to good to pass up!So 1 more cant hurt, Right?
    So I have another project on the table! Plus I have a bunch of spare parts that kinda build up, & give me bad idea about starting a new Project! but since all my basses serve a different purpose I have a varied collection of instruments! fretless, acoustic, actives, passives,etc..., But like most things once you think you're done here's another one someone has that needs to get rid of...

jd56hawk likes this.
  19. I have three
    Dingwall ng2 5er
    Fender jazz standard 5er
    Fender cb100ce acoustic 4

they all get love. The Dingwall has gotten the majority of the stage time. It’s definitely my baby and by far the most expensive bass I own currently. But I enjoy my fenders also. I know acoustics don’t get much love here on TB but I bought mine used for a good price and that thing has paid for itself 5 times over with how much it’s increased my practice time. My practice time really took a nose dive after having kids. The acoustic has been a really big help with that. It’s also just nice to have an acoustic and go sit on my deck and play outside without needing an amp, and oddly enough out of my three basses it’s actually the one I prefer to play If I’m sitting down. I guess that’s just an ergonomics thing. I don’t like playing the acoustic standing up. But I’ve always preferred to play every “regular” bass guitar standing because it’s just kind of awkward for me with my build to play them sitting. Even in the studio with regular basses I always stand and play. My jazz is my fun Frankenstein bass. It’s nice enough to play but cheap enough that I’m not against messing with it. It fills whatever roll I want it to. For example it’s been setup in three different tunings over the last 6 months(standard, up a half step to C standard, and eadgc) something I probably wouldn’t do with my Dingwall. The jazz is also affordable enough that I don’t feel bad bringing it to a gig in the backup roll even if I don’t end up playing it. I used to be a Warwick and musicman guy and it was kind of sad bringing a $2000 bass to a gig as a just in case backup that didn’t get played.

20. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    I also have five, but only three have "co-#1" status: G&L USA M-2500, G&L USA JB, and MIA Fender Jazz. Within this group, the Fender is least likely to be played on stage, but it's fantastic, I'm very attached to it, and it records extremely well. Plus, I just love J-basses.

I also love my G&L USA SB-2, but unless it's the best for a particular project, I typically lean toward the J-basses. My fifth is a G&L JB-5, which sounds wonderful and is excellent overall, but I just don't get along with its 9.5" fretboard radius. For me, a flatter radius is practically essential on fives, and I'm reminded of this every time I play the M-2500.

With this, I'm thinking about selling the SB-2 and JB-5, and getting a five-string P-bass to check off the "passive five" and "P-bass" boxes.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021