Ever Have a gig where the bass parts AREN'T 8vb?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by PlattsADA, May 22, 2003.

1. I have a gig playing at a playhouse in the pit, and I just got the music for it today....

And it's the "piano/bass book" , which in other words means that the bass is just reading the left hand of the piano, which would be fine if it weren't for one thing...

I am reading everything on ledger lines an octave BELOW where they should be... (well not really, I mean I understand that bass reads everything 8vb, but give me a break)

This will prove to be a very interesting gig. I'm gonna have to get really good at sightreading the LOWER ledger lines!
  2. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Swallow your pride and write in the note names for anything under low B. That's what I do.
  3. Eric_J

Eric_J Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Flower Mound, TX. USA
    Or pencil it in an octave higher.
  4. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Yeah, I've been in a few situations where I had to read Piano music and Tuba music to be played on Bass.
  5. Boss Bass

Boss Bass

Apr 9, 2003
    Third Rock
    That can be quite the experience. I've taken time out to completely rewrite things so that it's an
    easier chart. That is, if you have the time to do so. But you're also correct; sight reading ledger lines in the other(lower) direction and recognizing them can improve your sight reading skills without a doubt.
  6. CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    I had my first experience with that last year as a freshman. This year it is much easier since I now read Tuba & Piano parts fairly often whether it's in symphonic band [tuba part], or when i'm playing in one of the choir department shows where i'll be reading either the piano left hand or the chord changes off of the piano part. It's good experience and a good thing to learn. Thats all
  7. Tnavis

Feb 25, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    Don't forget to tell the pianist to lay off the left hand. It's a huge pet peeve of mine.
  8. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Thats hard. Don't do it.

Because it's hard.
  9. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    I've played many tuba parts... you can adjust to it pretty fast.
  10. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

This happens to me more and more - I think it is because composers increasingly have PCs and use software like Sibelius to write and print out arrangements - so they check it on midi to hear if it sounds right and forget that bass is a transposing instrument before they print it all out! :(
  11. ConU

Mar 5, 2003
    La Belle Province
    Best advice,I've done that:cool: of course then you have to erase it all when you give the book back:D
  12. Spoiled Grape

Spoiled Grape I <3 Darkstar

May 29, 2003
    Riverside, CA
    Psssssh, I make sure I make copies of all the good music first and steal it ;)

But in terms to the topic at hand, I have had a few of those experiences, reading off tuba + piano parts. Most recently I was reading off of Phantom of The Opera.
  13. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    I have to read tub-ah parts rather often. Although it was a pain, I dont think about it too much anymore. When I was in college I had to learn to read tenor cleff and that was a drag too. Hey, if it don't kill ya, it will make you a better player I gues....or at least a bass player that can read tuba/piano parts.:bassist:
  14. Oh, I do that all the time. I play the upright bass in the wind ensemble at my school. Some of the music has string bass parts in the score, but alot of it doesn't, so I read the tuba parts, which don't transcribe down an octave. At first it was hard, and actually now it still is, but I've gotten used to it. Just practice alot and it will come.