1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ever Have a Mouse Fly Out of Your Bass Port ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bubble, Jul 6, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Bubble

Bubble

Apr 17, 2013
    LV-426
    I noticed some stuff in my sub woofer bass port and started wondering if anyone has seen a mouse come flying out because of 400 watts or so suddenly scaring the thing out like a bullet.

That must be the real reason they make those port plugs, to keep rodents out. Remove to play.

Wfrance3 likes this.
  2. JACink

JACink

Mar 9, 2011
    Spain
    I don't know about a mouse (probably), but I do remember a recent thread involving a huge snake and a combo amp in Guitar Center.

3. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

No, but I once found a mouse drowning (meaning it was still alive) in an old, almost empty bottle of Heineken at the drummers rehearsal space. I kept hearing an intermittent high pitched squeal between songs and I looked down and saw the bottle rocking. It was the sound of the little guys claws on the glass. I don't know how the hell he managed to fit in there, but there was no way out for him that wasn't going to end in tragedy. Drummer took the bottle outside and that was the end of it...until the drummer later let out a huge belch that instantly filled the room with the smell of death and mouse poo. Bad drummer!

Drifter_Bass, chaosMK, lomo and 2 others like this.
  4. Bevo1995

Bevo1995

Nov 8, 2009
    Heart o' Texas
    My cat once came flying out of the hole in my kick drum reso head.

5. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, Chopshopamps.com
    No.

But whoever bought my 3620 decades ago likely had a bag of weed come flying out of it. Remembered about it approximately five minutes after it left the garage. I was pretty upset with myself for a while about that.

;)

6. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    My kitty used to hide inside my Trace Eliott. Had to start putting plastic cups in the port holes.

7. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    Dang, I'd be upset, too. I bet the buyer was happy, LOL. I left some on the kitchen table of a cabin we rented once. The renter emailed me to say thanks, thinking it was a "thank you" gift. Nope, wasn't. Just forgot.

Lvjoebass, Oddly, RaggaDruida and 2 others like this.
  8. Only once. But it was In a dream. And it was no mouse.

9. it does that.

Russell L likes this.
  10. I stored an SVT head in my father's shed when I was a kid one summer for a few months and decided to pick it up and bring it back to my apartment one day and noticed my cat was REALLY interested in the head for some reason. I pulled the front grille off of it and found a mouse nest with 4 little mice and a mother mouse in one of the corners. I don't remember what I did with them but I think it involved a toilet:roflmao: although I feel bad now when I think about it. I know I put the head outside and let the mother take off though.

11. I opened up a Fender Brown Face amp and found the skeletal remains of a mouse.

12. I haven't seen a live one yet, but I've found plenty of evidence of them in used amps that I've bought. Never a fun cleanup...

13. Nope.
    Had one scootch out from under the sustain pedal on my piano though. I was in bare feet and felt it brush against my heel. I was up on top of the piano bench as quick as you can imagine, while my very tiny, but very pregnant wife tried to extricate herself from a rather deep and plush couch.
    She laughed at me for being such a wimp. I laughed at her for...well, I had to finally step down off the bench, and physically help her out of the couch.
    We had traps out for the next week or so. Many mice, but eventually got rid of them all.
    I had good hearing in those days (34 years ago now) and could hear the traps snapping occasionally at night. Some were good clean kills. A few were rather bloody.
    I took the front panel off the piano and found evidence that it had been living there for a few days at least. Luckily, it had chewed non of the felts.

Duder likes this.
  14. This reminds me. I need to plug the ports on one of my cabs that I have in storage right now.

Lvjoebass likes this.
  15. BogeyBass

BogeyBass

Sep 14, 2010
    never happened to me, but have heard various stories about rodents in cabinets. you just invented a rodent cannon lol

bobyoung53 likes this.
  16. sears

sears Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2005
    ec, md
    I have had a bass fly out of my mouse port though

Bugeyed Earl, Jim Carr and interp like this.
  17. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Only found a bunch of Jujube's candy in one used Mesa cab I bought. But never any critter.

18. I read the thread title as "moose." It was a lot funnier that way. :D

Good reason to own sealed cabinets, I'd say. ;)

Duder and Snaxster like this.
  19. HaphAsSard

HaphAsSard

Dec 1, 2013
    Italia
    That's called a bat.

fretlessguy and Neo1 like this.
  20. When I was in high school, I had a sound system in my car, with 2 top-ported subs. I won't get into details, but we'll just say that the mouse didn't make it out alive.