1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ever have any days where you cant play anything?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Cygnusx2112, Nov 4, 2006.

1. Cygnusx2112

Cygnusx2112

Feb 20, 2006
    Anyone ever have those? I'm having one today...and yesterday as well, for that matter.

I know that I know how to play Red Barchetta, but yetserday and today I just couldnt pull it of at all. Im hitting the wrong notes and...ugh....

Am I the only one who has this issue? :meh:

- Travis

2. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Inactive

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    Dude, that's every day for me. :p

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Could be stress, could be something else.

Sometimes my fingers just flow, some days I can hardly play straight eighth notes.

4. Cygnusx2112

Cygnusx2112

Feb 20, 2006
    Well, I dont know, i might be tired...

edit: haha Poop-Loops! I like your name! Cheered me up :)

5. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    The longer you're playing, the less that happens. Used to have days when I thought someone possessed my body, fingers just didn't wanna do what they were supposed to. It got less and less, and now it's a pretty rare occurence - although everyone has their crappy days. I wouldn't worry about it. Just play more. :)

6. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Lakewood, OH
    yes. i have them. they are normal. i either fight through it and get frustrated, or i just stop, relax and do something else.

7. Yeah, thats pretty much what I do too. Usually Ill not play for a couple days and go back to it, I find that helps a lot.

8. YESTERDAY. i had a bad day on upright, the thing wouldnt stay in tune(damn new england weather) and then after it would i was so out of it, my section was not happy. theyll get over it though.

9. i get that every so often,
    i also get instances where i just hate the sound of myself, no matter how i eq, so i just turn the amp off and start again a few hours later

10. Ale

Ale

Jul 5, 2006
    Europe
    Endorsing Artist: IGiG Cases
    yeah , like 6 days a week :D :D
    No but , for me its not days , its more like weeks , i can paly really good for three week than i play horrible for a week.
    Thats sucks , specially when you have alot of jobs that week.

11. Neb Maro

Neb Maro I don't think, but I still am.

Oct 20, 2006
    So. Cali
    I have those days. I figure I just need a break and need to do something completely unrelated to bass. Then when I come back to it, I'm fresh and relaxed. I use the same method for writing school papers and the thoughts aren't flowing or the composition is crap.

12. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

Every once in a whille , I am just not into it when I pick it up. Buy a new bass ! :p

13. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Dude, I was playing Teen Town (at 90%), everything is going a-ok. I put down my bass to look for my cellphone. I start playing again and I can't play it anymore! Aaarg, soo frustrating.

14. I have these days. Today was one. There's two ways out of it. Eighter you keep at it nomatter what, or you go do something else for a while. Today I was practicing on James J. bassline to Ain't no mountain high enough, and I just couldn't get it right, but I just kept going and after half an hour, the damn thing's flowing like an oiled up goose on a skijumping ramp.

15. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    All the time.

16. Glider

Glider

Sep 13, 2006
    Being a beginner I have that problem, and it does get discouraging at times, but for me I think a lot of it has to do with muscle's that are not used to being used and that just get tired (I hope) Whats frustrating for me is playing a lick just fine the night before and then struggling the next morning.

I'm hoping that eventually this problem will get better, but at any rate reading that others have the same problem makes me feel better about my progress, tell ya what a couple days I put the bass down wondering if I had a motor skill problem.. LOL!

Lastly I started playing wrong by using only one finger on my plucking hand so now I'm trying to re train with 2 fingers, man that really throws a curve at ya.

17. Yes.

Sometimes I can play the most difficult lines I know with ease, other days I screw up major scales.

I think it happens to most people every once in a while in any aspect of life.

When it happens, I put the bass down and do something else.

Mike