Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ever have one of "THOSE shows"?

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by xshawnxearthx, May 23, 2005.

1. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    so we get a call back from a promoter that we have done 2 previous shows for(both were decent shows) at this skate park in southern nj. each show was on a sunday, usually late in the evening and always got us home by 11:30.

so, we played this "two stage event" which is cool. everything is running smoothly. so after getting there and eating and getting our stuff together. we realize a lot of the bands sounds different from us, but the same as everyone else.(dudes withgirls pants, played really bad, generic, emo core crapolqa, you know the type.) and offcourse, we are a hc band. dont fit into a category with those other bands. so whichever, diversity is good sometimes.

so, our boys play(they are kinda like us) and everything is running smooth. we are supposed to play right after them because our styles are the same. so offcourse, they stick a band in between us. great. so that pushes us back, and offcourse, 90% of the people there have to work the next day, or abide by some sort of sunday night curfew, so we play to 50 kids, instead of 300. the 50 kids enjoyed it, but its the point.

so, besides buying some vinyl, smoking for free, and getting a chance to have pictures taken for a college news paper, this show was a big time waste.

getting home at 2 am then having to be up at 7 for work just plan old sucks.

2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Happens to every gigging band from time to time. Get used to it, and just roll with it. You win some, you lose some.

A few weeks ago, my band was hired to be one of two bands playing a high-dollar Bike Show ( Harleys, not Schwinn ;) ) Huge venue, the show started at 1pm, bands to go on at 6p to 9pm and 10pm to 1am. We were fortunate to have the choice of playing time, so we chose the earlier time.

Got a bit of ribbing from the other band for "opening" for them - though we each regularly play the same clubs and are in all senses "equals" locally. We knew the crowd would thin out later. We played to a good crowd, they played to 25 people. We were out of there at 10:30pm and left to party at other clubs, they had they're whole night consumed at that gig in front of 25 people. Nice. Next time, we might be the ones playing to 25 people, it happens.

3. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    I've never "Opened a show" for anyone.
    I have however had quite a few well known bands close MY show for me.

4. Yup, just one of those gigs :rolleyes:

We went to our residency show a couple of weeks ago only to be informed that the management had booked another band and not told us. :spit:

Sometimes you just gotta roll with it....

5. Dell

Dell

Apr 7, 2005
    Yep, Ive had those. Turn up at a venue, sound check first as we're on last, about to walk out the door to get food and BANG... the most awfull noise is coming from the stage. The worst band in the world is supporting us. OK, they might have fans, the venue is far from home so we need the other bands to pull a crowd.
    get back 2 hours later and its just the bands sitting there....

First band go on, sound like hell, nobody in the room
    the DJ between the bands is poo
    Second band go on, sound like hell, about 10 people have come in
    We go on, maybe 15 people tops in the room. Well worth the hassel of getting to the venue...not.

Thats life. You trust a promoter who knows you're not known in the area to put on bands that will bring a crowd... sometimes they do... sometimes the promoter doesnt even turn up himself.