1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ever have to prevent yourself from "burning out" a record?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Matt Till, Mar 9, 2008.

1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I have this problem where I obsess over certain albums/bands. When I was in high school, all I would listen to was Megadeth and Primus. Now, I listen to them for "memories" but feel I've outgrown both bands. I KNOW that's because that is all I would listen to for about 4 years!

Of recent burnouts: King Crimson. I listened to nothing but KC and KC side projects for a few months... I've eased off as to avoid this from happening again.

A few albums/bands have come into my possession and I'm having to pace myself! Ha. My recent "favorites."

Tom Waits - The Black Rider

Tom Waits is a musical genius. I don't know how he does it, but he always sounds like Tom Waits, but always reinvents himself with all of his albums. The Black Rider has become my favorite. A bit more on the experimental side, which I tend to dig.

The Black Rider -

So what bands have you been "overplaying" lately? Or in my case, avoiding overplaying.

2. Jucifer
    The Dillinger Escape Plan
    Ninja Academy
    Buck 65

3. Phe

Phe

May 30, 2005
    Oulu, Finland
    Yeah, I know the feeling.
    Have you noticed that the records that require more time to get in are the ones that last longer? Records that let you right in are the ones you forget in few weeks. I didn't like Fugazi when I my first album from them. Now they are my favorite band.

At the moment I'm staying away from The Jesus Lizards' Liar and Fun's Zu-Pa!

4. I have burnt out Tool/Mastodon/Zeppelin/Black Sabbath 4 of my all-time favorite bands :(

I have been able to prevent myself from burning out on newer artists I've found lately like Om/Baroness but I've deliberately had to put the god damn CD away for a couple weeks and come back to it. When I buy something I tend to put it on repeat until its ingrained into my brain.

5. afinalfantasy

afinalfantasy Banned

Jan 11, 2006
    I've burned out a lot of stuff, even though I listen to one artist I really like once a month.

I listen to well over 300 artists, so I keep it varied.

6. Punk rock in general. Specifically, just about anything by Bad Religion and most Blink 182 (played both bands almost everyday for four years).

And playing the same 10 songs in a pop-punk band for 2 years didn't help.

7. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    There was a time when I thought it would get "burned out" on Graceland by Paul Simon. I used to listen to it pretty much every day, but my fondest memories of listening to it are when I was travelling on the trains across England to Preston to see my girlfriend.

So I banned myself from listening to it when she was in Preston and I was in Newcastle, to keep things fresh. However, after the last time I went to Preston I thought "why am I doing this?" since I now link that album inextricably with going to see her (fun fun fun!). As it is, I don't think I'll ever get burned out on that record.

8. I have a copy of New Order's Substance which I've worn out completely to the point where several of the tracks don't work.

9. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Thats how it works for me too!

10. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    +1, and i dont find that its related to how quickly i like the album, but on how much i can learn style-wise from it.

Hence i could prolly listen to Sun Baked Snow Cave, or Black One, over and over. Everytime i listen to stuff like that, i get a little more inspired by different things.

Then again, even thats cus i never listen that "hard" to stuff. I just let the music play and see if something catches my attention. Its like watching a movie a second time and noticing the little visual clues and stuff that you dont notice when trying to take in the whole thing the 1st time.

11. Yes, I have to ration particular albums so this doesn't happen - Belle & Sebastian's Life Pursuit and Stereolab's Oscillations were the last ones. Led Zep I have to be careful with.

The media can interfere too, radio stations picking up in the summer on that great album you bought earlier in the year and playing it to death.

I have some albums that I save for specific listening time - Om are one of these, as is some Stockhausen, Lou Reed's Metal Machine Music.

You do get more pleasure from listening to music you had to work at to appreciate in the first place, also I find it takes a great deal longer for instrumental music to get tired.

12. Yes, I have literally worn out vinyl before. Black Sabbath, later on Steely Dan, etc. In fact, I recall buying the " Master" of Dan's Aja after I basically burned out the vinyl in teh stock copy. ( I also went to a better cartirdge which tracks at a slight 1.5 grams. ! )

13. Basshole

Basshole Banned

Jan 28, 2005
    I burn out almost everything I listen to. I usually listen to it over and over again until I have extracted all the musical details and nuances that I possibly can, and I've "assimilated" the music into my very being...then I may not listen to it again for a decade...of course, by then, it's of little consequence, because even some ten years later, I can usually still recall all of the solos and lines note-for-note.

14. Absolutly. Anytime I find a song or album I love, I'm always very careful not to overplay it. Sometimes I skip songs like that on purpose to make sure I don't over do it. I've ruined some great music (first DMST album, for example) by over listening to it.

Sometimes it goes away after a long time.

15. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Just turn the radio off then!

16. what? turn off beloved radio 2? :D my kids would complain.

17. Whenever I get a new CD, I keep myself from listening to it more than once per day or once in a row in my car if I don't hear the whole thing in one day. I do a lot of driving, so I do most of my music listening on the road. That helps me keep new albums fresh.

18. palm grease

palm grease

Dec 10, 2007
    NYC
    all of Volta's stuff... they suck you in for weeks at a time!

19. LzeroKI

LzeroKI

Dec 24, 2006
    Charlotte, NC
    Modest Mouse, luckily I have their entire discography, so Ive got quite a range of music from them to listen to.