1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ever have you bandmates Veto your choise in basses??

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by logicman69, Sep 24, 2010.

1. So I play in a Pop/rock cover band on the weekends (one of those "Weekend Warrior Rockstar Wanna-be's" that the originals bands love to hate :D). lately, due to an ordering mixup, I have been down to one bass at gigs (I hate not having as backup). So I have been renting a few basses just to try some different things. One of the more recent basses that I have fallen in love with is a BC Rich Warlock Neck Through. It's not my usual style but the bass plays awsome and the pickups just sound MEAN! When my singer and guitar player stopped into the store last night I showed them the bass and they both said "You are NOT playing that onstage" (with looks of shock and horror on both of their faces). Both of them continued to comment on how we are "not in a metal band" and that the bass looks "stupid". Needless to say they band wont let me play this bass. I think it's a shame because the bass sounds awsome and plays great.

has anyone else had this happen to them?

2. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    Buy whatever YOU want.

3. jnuts1

jnuts1

Nov 13, 2007
    tell them as soon as you start paying me you can tell me what to play

4. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    Eastern North Dakota
    No. I go through a lot of basses, and no one really notices any difference as they are all pretty "normal" looking. I think I would get a reaction similar to this if I went the pointy 80's rock way, but in the end they wouldn't say you can't play it.

5. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Tell them they can have a say in what bass is played when they start paying for them.

6. sure... get tons of specific requests from my gear list..

7. By "that the originals bands love to hate" do you mean something like a tribute band, or just that you play a lot of covers (and don't write)?

If you're mimicking or echoing or 'honoring' a given band or era or genre, I could understand their objection. Ex. If you're selling a 'Motown experience' or 'Stax revisited', then having instruments that look and sound period-correct might be reasonable (applies to guitars as well). If this is a paying gig, you may have to dress a certain way for the gig, and having the gear needed is just a part of the job. Buy whatever bass you want for yourself though, and continue to use your other bass (that they're not objecting to) on this particular gig. If you break a string on that bass one night and you have to whip out the B.C.Rich to get through the gig, they should be understanding of that.

Of course, if this isn't a paying gig, then sc**w 'em.

8. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    you could never be in my band with THAT bass!!! :bag:

9. Actually.. they do pay me.

10. It's a cover band. General Rock/Pop with a female lead (lots of Pink, Lady Gaga, Pat Benatar). Nothing specific as far as genre. I could totaly understand if we were a tribute band as this would not fit visually in a county band or a Stacks style band. But in a rock band I think it fits....

I think it's just the guitar players pre-concieved notion that Warlocks are "Cheesy". I might whip it out tonight anyways... just to piss them off. :bassist:

11. SMILEYSIXX

SMILEYSIXX

Dec 29, 2009
    It isn't the appearance that should matter.

12. Like Tim, if they say they like one bass more than the other, then I will accomodate. I will not buy a Fender Precision because they think it's the bomb. I have a Fury, which has a good warm sound and a Jazz neck.

One previous band they said they liked my $75 Fury better than my $600 CIJ Jazz, I obliged for many songs.

Current band they like the RJ-IV better than the Jazz, so the RJ-IV it is.

But one dude in the past insisted on my getting a Gallien Krueger. I told him on the phone I bought one and showed up with the Genz Benz. Hey, sounds German enough.

13. skwee

skwee

Apr 2, 2010
    Minneapolis
    If the bass works with your own personal style/stage persona, go for it. FInd a way to make it work in context of everyone though.

14. ric stave

ric stave

May 6, 2006
    Buffalo, NY
    Leave the Warlock in your car, and walk in with a Kala U-Bass.

Then see what bass they want you to use.....

;)

15. Winner! :D

16. kcole4001

kcole4001

Oct 7, 2009
    Nova Scotia
    Get 'em to close their eyes, then bring out the bass and plug it in.
    Give 'em a taste of the tone, then see what they say.

If they still don't like it, play it anyway if you really like it yourself.
    I don't tell anyone else what to play and what not to play, and the people I play with do the same.

We used to have a sound guy who hinted, not very subtly, that he preferred any bass but a Rick. Then he would just mute my channel on the board.
    I don't care, I'll play what I like.

17. They've vetoed my rig. :D I traded my first 810 for my Schroeder 1515 because I wanted something lighter and easier to move and after two practices they asked, "What the **** did you do, man? We'll help you load in and out of every show if you get an 810 again." So I bought a fairly cheap 810 a week later. They definitely also prefer my Yamaha BB to my Fender and Ibanez, but I do too so it's not like they're "making" me do it or anything.

18. +1

19. Vanceman

Vanceman

Feb 14, 2007
    So. Cal.
    They are correct! Never bring a POINTY bass to a pop band, unless you're 16 years old.

20. Thor

Thor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 3, 2021