Ever hear of Dr. Bass Cabs ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bass_Pounder, Oct 19, 2003.

1. Came accross these on e-bay. Construction and components seem great for the price.

Quoted from the e-bay listing:

All Dr. Bass products are hand crafted by bass players for bass players from completely void free composite materials, and then sprayed with an environmentally safe hybrid polyurethane/polurea elastomer coating applied at 240 degrees with a tensile strength of 2500 lbs. psi, making them virtually indestructible. And what is even more important they look really cool, not like that nasty rat fur. And if they ever get dirty, just wipe them off with a damp rag and they will look like new for years to come. These cabinets are equipped with lifetime guarantee heavy duty spring loaded steel handles, talk about heavy duty. Even the grills are 18ga. Powder coated steel, and they look cool too. Note: for 1/2" or 3/4" Class A birch plywood, add $50.00 per cabinet.

Take a look at his stuff, and tell me what you think. Could this guy be another Avatar Speakers that actually produce a solid product for a decent price ?

2. You know it can't be good when the put SWR in their ads just to get attention.

Sounds quite unprofessional, in general.
  3. Look at the number next to his name. That says a lot!!! 7 lucky but small in this case.
  4. If I'm not mistaken, Walter Becker (Steely Dan) gives credits on the name Dr. Bass on the latest CD, The Last Mall, which by the way is a great new CD in my opinion. Great bass tones. I don't know which cab if any he uses really. I also saw Avalon and Sadowsky... yummy stuff. Wally plays all the bass tracks on that CD.
  5. Wasn't there a recent thread about making composite cabinets ?

The guy e-mailed me back a price list. I must say, the prices are not bad for solid cabs with eminence drivers.

The following is a quick list of some cabs, with freq response, sensitivity, and price:

Rx 115d 500 watts RMS $229.00
    1x15 w/horn
    X-over w/HF level control
    36HZ to 20kHZ 102 dB
    8 ohms
    18”h x 20.25”w x 15”d, or 24”h x 20.25”w x 15”d w/3u rack
    45 lbs.

Rx 112d 500 watts RMS $229.00
    1x12 w/horn
    40HZ to 20kHZ 101 dB
    8 ohms
    15”h x 20.25”w x 15”d, or 19.5”h x 20.25”w x 15”d w/2u rack
    44 lbs.

Rx 210d 700 watts RMS $239.00
    2x10 w/horn
    40HZ to 20kHZ 103 dB
    8 or 4 ohms
    18”h x 20.25”w x 15”d, or 24”h x 20.25”w x 15”d w/3u rack
    61 lbs.

Rx 2124 1000 watts RMS $299.00
    2x12 w/horn
    30HZ to 20kHz 103 dB
    4 ohms
    24”h x 20.25”w x 15”d

I had also inquired about a 4X10, and a 1X18. This was his response:

Hey Bob,

Thanks for your interest. we no longer manufacture a 4x10, although it isn't on the price list , we can make it upon request. It is a 1000 watt bottom slot port cabinet and It sells for $349.00. We replaced it with a 2x12 which we found sells better is more compact and absolutely rocks. It is what I personally use, and we just did and installations in Orlando, at Disney and Carowinds in Charlotte, and we found it was far superior. We do manufacture a 1x18 cabinet in our Pro Audio line, for bass we simply don't put the stand cups on the top.

Thank you for your interest,
    Marc J. Serio
    Dr. Bass LLC
    843-215-5527 fax

May have to watch this company, and wait for some reviews to come in.
  6. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    these sound great

i think i have to try one

and i like the rack space thing too

7. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    The phrase "completely void free composite material" sounds like particle board to me. You can get a plywood cabinet if you are willing to spend an extra $50.

The first auction includes Eminence Beta 10s. Avatar uses Delta 10s which are higher power, etc.

I'm a happy repeat Avatar customer and have no reason to go anywhere else (unless I needed an 18 or something exotic).
  8. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    Couldn't MDF be considered a coid free composite material? The weight on the 210 seems pretty high.

Ummm, good for you?
  9. bump ... & anyone try one yet?
  10. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    Wow. Those specs look awesome! Freq. Response is good, Efficency is good, and weight is good. 45 lbs for a 36hz 1x15 is pretty good...
  11. mxr255

mxr255 Supporting Member

Jul 21, 2003
    Williamsport, PA
    I have been using the 15'for over a year now and I have had the 2x10 for 4 monthes. I am thrilled with the sound and power that I get from my Dr. Bass Cabs. I use a Carvin R600 head and the 2x10 handles the 500 watts easily. I also like the fact taht I can call Marc up (and I have) and ask questions or even shoot around the ideas about set ups to use. Marc even built a custom cabinet for my guitar player's Gibson Goldtone amp that sounds great. I think if you bought something from Dr. Bass Marc would bend over backwards to make sure you are satisfied. You should check them out. I play about 75 or 100 shows a year and I ditched my SWR cabs for these (and made a profit with the money I saved).

12. Mel Monihan

Mel Monihan

Mar 30, 2004
    I use the 115 Rd and it is awesome and light at 41 lbs.Marc has gotten some Emminende Beta 15's that are extremely close to the JBL D140 the holy grail of bass speakers for many oldtimers.He is great to deal with, and as already mentioned, he will bend over backwards to make your dream cabinet.The cabinets are all plywood, not particle board, the birch is an upgrade.You will not be disappointed.The cabinets are very tough also as indicated.A very big bang for the buck.
  13. McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    There's been a number of Dr Bass threads here, but for some reason, finding them w/ the search feature doens't work all that well...

Just off the top of my head tho, I think those who have purchased from Marc are happy.
  14. Emprov

Mar 19, 2003