Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ever hear this Jaco record?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Scottzo, Jul 19, 2000.

1. Scottzo

Scottzo

Jan 20, 2000
    Essence Featuring Jaco Pastorius / Last Flight.

Recorded in 1984 in NYC. I'd never heard before this week. Pretty cool stuff.

Any thoughts?

------------------
    Thump

2. Scottzo

Scottzo

Jan 20, 2000
    I'll reply to myself if I have to.

Yeah Scottzo I just bought a copy this week too. At Record Explosion for $22. It seems to be a Japan import since the liner notes are in Japanese. There are three tunes. The first two The Universe Is My Home(part 1 & 2) is a 40-minute jam. It takes about ten minutes to cook and Jaco is mute slapping, hitting those 64th note runs, playing harmonic chords, and jamming familiar themes. It does seem however that this is an unscripted musical rant. And the musicians pretty much follow his lead through out this and the entire album. Especially when free jamming.

The third tune, Gallon(13'40) is a funky airy tune with the main theme played on flute by Yaco Grau and Jaco laying down a funky bittersweet groove. Listen for some nice piano work by Michael Gerber. Jaco takes a solo and there is some free jam but over all a bit more direction.

There is so precious little Jaco unheard out there. I must admit was very excited when I slipped it in the disc man. If you know what I mean then you'll be happy to hear that you will not be disappointed. Jaco sounds great and the tunes are revealing they give you a sense Jaco's musical flow.

[This message has been edited by Scottzo (edited July 20, 2000).]

3. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I wasn't ignoring ya...you just stumped me on that recording.
    Someday, I would like to hear BLACKBIRD; it's a French recording with Jaco jamming with ex-'Trane drummer, Rashied Ali.

4. Scottzo

Scottzo

Jan 20, 2000
    That's cool. I wanted to add more about the recording anyway, it gave me context.

Looks like I have a bit of a find.

------------------
    Thump

5. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    hi scottzo, what struck me about that album
    is Carlos Cervantes is listed as the composer
    as well as drummer for the session,and it sounds like a drum machine set at a fast speed with jaco doing the actual composing on top. its cool to hear jaco playing in what seems like a free form jam though! maybe
    if the liner notes were in english, it would
    shed some light on the project.

------------------
    aloha, jerry

6. Scottzo

Scottzo

Jan 20, 2000
    AHH!! Someone else that has heard this. I agree it sounds like Jaco is playing everyone is following. There are some classic Jaco themes he's playing.

I also thought that it was a drum mach!

I need to meet someone that reads Japanese!

------------------
    Thump

7. frost13

frost13

Apr 12, 2000
    This one that I haven't come across yet. I'll have to keep an eye out for it. My favorite Jaco CD is "Curtain Call".