Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ever heard of a "Don Jon" 3/4 Upright?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by mauibass, Jul 1, 2004.

1. mauibass

mauibass

Jul 1, 2004
    Aloha! Newbie here. I just picked up a "Don Jon" Upright from a philipino import store here on Maui for $600. It has Nylon strings on it the E and A are toast So I put new Metal E and A string on and broke the e string tuner. I just order replacements tuners from Bob at www.urbbob.com This thing is painted the finger board and the bridge are both painted black. I was told that the instruument is over 35 years old from the philipines. I noticed that the tuners don't go all the way accross the head stock as I have seen on other basses.

My question are:
    1. Has anyone seen a bass like this?
    2. Could it have been made just for gut and nylon string?

Here's a link to some pictures I took last night.
    www.emauiweddings.com/upright

The D & G Nylon strings sound so incredible, very deep resonate sound wow.

David

2. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    I saw this one, at Ka'ahumanu Center, upper level, right? The broken tuning machine right off the bat should tell you something. Hopefully the new machines will help, if you can get them to fit.

Basses at this level are prone to a lot of structural problems. Low tension strings might help keep it together for awhile. I would suggest you read the newbie links regarding buying a bass. If you were looking for something inexpensive to beat around on, you found it, although I feel you paid too much. I personally would have looked further. Good luck; Email me if you need any help.

PS...Doubt that it's 30 years old. This is commonly known on these forums as a "BSO"...Bass Shaped Object. The reason that the tuning machine broke is because it is meant for a bass guitar. The endpin appears to be swiped from a coffee table. I'm sorry if it seems harsh, but I feel that this particular establishment was unethical in asking $600 for this bass. See if you can get your money back.

3. mauibass

mauibass

Jul 1, 2004
    Yes it's for backyard BBQ's in Kula! Did you try playing it? I thought I paid $200 more than I should have, but with shipping from off Island it comes out the same. I rarely see any uprights under $1000-$1500 around here. This sounded way better than the chineese ones I've seen at bounty music.

I totally know what you mean about the price I have my doubts about the age and knew with a painted finger board and bridge it was a toy. But It sounds good to me?

Funny world wide web and we are on the same island in the middle of no where!

4. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    I know; shipping's a killer. I found a nice old Epiphone up in Olinda a few years ago, I paid $600 for it. And I lined up a nice blonde Engelhardt bass for Maggie Siegfried right before she left last year, $400. You just have to be patient and vigilant.

Backyahds in Kula, might be okay. Try stringing it up with weedwhacker strings, no lie! A lot of the local boyz do that, for that big thump sound they love. Cheap and very low tension.

5. So sorry! Looks like bad news. Maybe you can use it as a partial trade. :eyebrow:

6. mauibass

mauibass

Jul 1, 2004
    Marcus call Me!
    I'd love to here from you, if you hear of another upright for under $600 on Maui.

I'm sure that because of who you are, you would hear first. I'm going to the Ace hardware to pick up weedwhacker string is there a certain brand you recommend? Hahaha! I really am going to try it out. I really did buy this for fun. I'm not a really player (three notes per song and just try and hold the groove) just for fun.

I used to play upright 6 years ago with Hinique & Rodney K. and a few other Haiku folks out at Baldwin and the Bud Bowls. I had to sell my bass to pay rent then (It's the late model 7 year old chez bass I think a Kula guy Bob? bought it from me any way), so I got this just to try and get back into the music. I was looking at the walking stick from kona bob interesting NICE GUY but I wanted the really wash tub barrel sound.