Ever heard of sixsixtysix?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by dobedobe, Mar 1, 2003.

1. There is this band called sixsixtysix and they are a speed metal/deathmetal band. The drummer is faster than Pete Sandoval(Morbid Angel) & has the talent to back it up. The guitarist is the best ever and the fastest ever. The bassist will make you cry how fast/complicated/unique he plays. Here is a sample of TAB I got from him personally:

That is all played in about 6 seconds time then his solo is(written by him personally):

All played in about 4 seconds. I didn't put hammer-ons or pull-offs or anything cause I don't think he does that. But he doesn't slide up and down the neck, he just friggin' goes. I swear on all that is unholy this guys hand and fingers are a complete blur. He play the ENTIRE Anesthesia(Cliff Burton solo) in under a minute. The guitarist is amazing the drummer is fast and furious and has style in his patterns. I don't think anyone could play as fast as these guys. They don't have albums and they only tour on the true underground metal scenes...quote from bassist: "We don't need...need to get approval, just...we f******play our songs and let the other band come on stage and rip it, then go home". He's not the most intelligent but he is fast on the four-stringed monster. quote from the guitarist: "When we f***it up, you know we were f******' there, I mean when Dave[drummer] hits the cymbals we better be ready to f******' go!" Again, they're not the smartest bunch, but damn!
  2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Speed not make one great
  3. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
  4. Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
  5. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    just say no to drugs :cool:
  6. odie

odie Supporting Member

I had to edit your cuss words a little bit more. Try to leave a little ore to the imagination. :)

Also it is muisc related so it needs to me else where other than OT.

On a happier note welcome to TB. Where are these guys from?
  7. I totally agree!
  8. Sorry about the cuss words, I thought I did it good enough. They are from southwest Ohio, I believe they are south of Cincinatti. And people who say, "Speed not make on great" are people who can't play fast. lol. I forgot to mention something about these guys, the bassist has just as many solos as the guitarist and the drummer even has a drum solo in a couple songs. They play 8 and 9 minute songs and don't just repeat themselves over and over, it's great to watch live.
  9. Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
  10. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    actually, it's often harder to play slow than fast... and i have found that most shredders often lack the feel to do so adequately...

(the old blues vs. shred stuff) :bassist:

edit: spelling
  11. Ugh. That crap gives me a headache.

12. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002

MUCH harder to play slow than fast, and paying slowly is the key to playing fast, if to play really fast is your goal, then you should want to start VERY slowly, and slowly build up your speed, not only will you get faster in the end, but you will learn whatever it was you were trying to learn to perfection.
  13. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Yup - I agree it is much harder to play convincingly on a slow ballad - you are much more exposed and it is harder when there is a lot of space, rather than everything being filled up with notes.

It is very easy to be sloppy and get away with it, when everything is going past so fast. :rolleyes:
    NOT so easy at dead slow tempos when mistakes stick out like a sore thumb!
  14. I've never seen or noticed these guys screw up. All they do is practice all the time. I got the privelege(spelled right?) to hang out with 'em at a practice session. DAMN!
  15. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    They may play flawlessly, but it is still easier to mask a mistake or slip at high speeds than at slow ones. And it still is easier to play fast than slow.
  16. Once again, I totally agree!
  17. Has anyone ever seen a tremelo bar on a bass guitar??? This isn't about sixsixtysix but thought I would post it here. I was sitting and playing last night and I've decided to try to put a tremelo bar on my bass. Would it sound right, and could it happen?
  18. Victor Wooten Has one, Ive never seen him use it but I know he has one.
  19. Fraid not son, I know Wrong Robot and all the ppl who said "speed not make one great" can absolutely shred, they just have more musical knowledge and know that speed does not make one great. If playing fast is what the music needs than by-god, play as fast as you can. But if its just for show, it shows an uneducated musician.